• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using a road rail vehicle to pull freight wagons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

I came across this picture of a Class 47 pulling a single HEA wagon down the Pensnett Branch and it made me wonder if BR or private companies have ever considered using road rail vehicles to pull short freight trains on short freight only branch lines? I know that they have been used as shunters across the world, but have they ever been used to pull freight trains? Would it be actually feasible or are they too slow? I don't know if the economics would work as I guess it might be cheaper to just use a spare loco, but wasn't the cost of the trip workings one of the reasons why Speedlink was losing so much money?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
I came across this picture of a Class 47 pulling a single HEA wagon down the Pensnett Branch and it made me wonder if BR or private companies have ever considered using road rail vehicles to pull short freight trains on short freight only branch lines? I know that they have been used as shunters across the world, but have they ever been used to pull freight trains? Would it be actually feasible or are they too slow? I don't know if the economics would work as I guess it might be cheaper to just use a spare loco, but wasn't the cost of the trip workings one of the reasons why Speedlink was losing so much money?

Would a road rail vehicle have sufficient braking performance? Do they have provision for connecting to air braked wagons?

LMS 4F

At Rockware Glass in Knottingley, West Yorkshire, in the 1970s sand was delivered by rail. To get it across the the A645 it was moved one wagon at a time by using a normal tractor running on its usual wheels whilst the wagon was of course still on rails.
The traffic was halted by a man stood in the road holding two red flags. I only wish I had taken a picture but at the time it all seemed very normal.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Several sugar mills I visited in Java back in 2004 used tractors to shunt the cane wagons. More recently this week’s Channel 5 programme about Bressingham featured a tractor drawing the restored Terrier from the restoration shed

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Would a road rail vehicle have sufficient braking performance? Do they have provision for connecting to air braked wagons?
If traditional ones don't I'm sure fitting a compressor to one is probably an achievable modification.
Unimogs and similar road railers are not uncommonly used for shunting after all.

Rubber tyres on steel rails have much higher friction coefficient so should be able to deliver much higher tractive and braking effort than a locomotive of a similar weight would.

Also worth noting that a road railer would only need a path whilst hauling wagons....

Apparently Unimogs with air brakes do exist, looks like it could be used for trip freight if it can do 50km/h....

It is likely to require full blown train protection (ETCS etc) to get a hope in hell of benig approved for safety reasons though.

Last edited:

t_star2001uk

An aggregate plant that i used to work at a long time ago had a Caterpillar wheeled loading shovel with draw gear fitted to the back end. This included a 3 link coupling, 2 square rubbing blocks with both train pipe and main reservoir. I cant remember haw many empty or loaded wagons that it could pull...

mcmad

happened during the building of the Stirling - Alloa - Kincardine line with a Unimog hauling a train of ballast hoppers. Getting a safety case to run any RRV outside a possession would be the biggest stumbling block.

PeterC

Established Member
The Joyce Green Hospital Tramway used ambulances to pull the previously horse drawn tramcars from the mid 20s until the mid 30s.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Getting a safety case to run any RRV outside a possession would be the biggest stumbling block.

I think the question likely becomes - can we make a Unimog esque vehicle that is compliant with crash safety requirements, and still remain road legal?

EDIT:

Supposedly (can't see the second page of the brochure because its only available on scribd of all places!) a Unomac T-Rail has a drawbar force of 82kN max and 25km/h with a trailing load.

Class 08 has more starting tractive effort, but at the end of the day the power at rail is probably going to be generally comparable to a Class 08/0..... (implying comparable continuous tractive effort)
Comparable top speed too.

It's not absurd that it could be used for branch line trip working.

The low speed on rail is partially made up for its ability to run on the road, so it can do light moves far more rapidly than an equivalent locomotive ever could - and doesn't consume valuable paths when not actually moving wagons!

Last edited:

Ploughman

Established Member
happened during the building of the Stirling - Alloa - Kincardine line with a Unimog hauling a train of ballast hoppers. Getting a safety case to run any RRV outside a possession would be the biggest stumbling block.
I think the limit for a Unimog with ballast trailers not hoppers is 6 loaded trailers.
I think some photos may be found on the thread dealing with the landslip on the S+C last year or so.

mcmad

I suppose the question to answer is that if you need a 'big' loco to get the train to the start of the branch, what the benefit of having a separate RRV shunter is?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I suppose the question to answer is that if you need a 'big' loco to get the train to the start of the branch, what the benefit of having a separate RRV shunter is?

Well a locomotive that can jump on and off the rails as required probably permits substantial simplification of branch line trackwork.

montyburns56

Happens a lot in the USA, see link to youtube:-

Now that's the kind of thing that I'm talking about as that is not only pulling a decent sized train, but at a decent speed as well. The excavator on top of the wagons only adds to oddness of what's going on though.

Murray J

I don't know about if it's ever been considered as a more permanent arrangement but I have seen road rail excavators hauling rail wagons at East Grinstead when the line was closed by a landslip20200308_145241.jpg

montyburns56

Well you could have the main train just drop off the wagons at the start of the branch and carry on it's way, leaving the road rail vehicle to transport them for the last few miles.

montyburns56

At Rockware Glass in Knottingley, West Yorkshire, in the 1970s sand was delivered by rail. To get it across the the A645 it was moved one wagon at a time by using a normal tractor running on its usual wheels whilst the wagon was of course still on rails.
The traffic was halted by a man stood in the road holding two red flags. I only wish I had taken a picture but at the time it all seemed very normal.

Wow, I would love to see picture of that! Also I've found this picture of a tractor shunter at Royston still in use in 1990.

talltim

Established Member
Now that's the kind of thing that I'm talking about as that is not only pulling a decent sized train, but at a decent speed as well. The excavator on top of the wagons only adds to oddness of what's going on though.
There is a type of excavator runs on the tops of the sides of the gondola, a bit like rails. It can then load/unload all the cars
This one is a standard excavator, seeing them climb in is fun

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I don't know about if it's ever been considered as a more permanent arrangement but I have seen road rail excavators hauling rail wagons at East Grinstead when the line was closed by a landslipView attachment 78832

They are specially made RRV trailers not wagons. They are much smaller and lighter than wagons. Not sure how many fully loaded ballast wagons an RRV is going to be able to pull and most importantly stop.

mcmad

This shows the unimog pulling seacow hoppers during the construction of the SAK line mentioned above.

Linky

John Webb

Established Member
I don't know about pulling rail vehicles, but they were certainly pushed about the place in works and other places. The most unusual one I ever came across was around 1959 or 1960 in Teignmouth, on the harbour quay:
Elephant Mod 2.jpg
It was a Sentinel steam tractor from circa 1930, and was named "The Elephant". Note the large timbers each end for pushing rail vehicles about. 'The Teignmouth Quay Co" was done with beer bottle 'crown' caps nailed or screwed to the canopy!

I understand this has been preserved by an enthusiast in Holland.

Dunfanaghy Rd

I don't know about pulling rail vehicles, but they were certainly pushed about the place in works and other places. The most unusual one I ever came across was around 1959 or 1960 in Teignmouth, on the harbour quay:
View attachment 78858
It was a Sentinel steam tractor from circa 1930, and was named "The Elephant". Note the large timbers each end for pushing rail vehicles about. 'The Teignmouth Quay Co" was done with beer bottle 'crown' caps nailed or screwed to the canopy!

I understand this has been preserved by an enthusiast in Holland.
That's one interpretation of a road-rail shunter. Something a bit more up-to-date:
680-013-001.JPG 680-013-002.JPG 680-013-003.JPG
I believe that this was on its way to Thrall, York. Taken in Southampton Eastern Docks. As it has air brake it's load would be limited by how much it could move, braking taking care of itself.
Pat

pdeaves

Established Member
There were 2. (And I've only just realised! Doh!)
View attachment 78870View attachment 78871
Pat
That's interesting. The wheel level appears to have been rebuilt between our two photos, of in mine it was partially disassembled for maintenance. (Your photo has axle box covers, etc. whereas mine doesn't, but then on mine it doesn't look to these inexpert eyes like they are necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.