• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using Oyster seasons on intercity journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasTank

I have an annual zones 1-4 season ticket loaded onto my Oyster card. I have used boundary zone tickets before to save money but only on commuter routes.

Can I use it on inter-city journeys? Admittedly it wouln't save a fortune but if I am travelling to Milton Keynes it may save a fair bit. When I tried at one ticket office a while back, they justs hook their head and said they don't accept Oyster on their routes, even though the departure staion was Euston.

Can anyone clatrify what the rules are and whether I am in my right to use it on the inter-city flows?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ooooo, was that Virgin saying that? I'm sure yorkie will be along with the link to the case where they were eventually forced to admit they were wrong. Anyway, you definitely are allowed to combine a travelcard season stored on Oyster with a boundary zone ticket. If the TOC do not have the means to check whether you have a season or not, that is their problem, not yours.

IanD

Established Member
You can use it with a Boundary Zone ticket yes. I'm surprised you were told otherwise...

Still have problems getting a Milton Keynes Central to BZ3 ticket. Station staff at MK insist that the train has to stop there. I've now given up and just get a MK-Euston ticket on-line as it's not worth the hassle (and missed trains) discussuing this with ill-informed station staff.

bnm

Established Member
There is no fare for BZ4 to Crewe, you'll need one from the last station in Zone 4 to Crewe.

Kenton - Crewe Anytime Single £103.50.

Whether Kenton statisfies the rules on split tickets, not having any platforms on the WCML, I know not.

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks guys. Any idea how much a BZ4 to Crewe Anytime is?

There is no such fare, BZ tickets only exist to destinations in the old Network area, so you'll have to split to use a BZ ticket. That said, with a Travelcard season, you'll not need to stop at any of the changeover points.
Edit: too slow!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I see. I think it's Harrow and Wealdstone.

Harrow and Wealdstone is the first station in zone 5. You would be ticketless from the boundary to Harrow if you used that combination. Kenton is the last station in zone 4.

bnm

Established Member
If this is just a single journey then it'll be a lot cheaper if you buy an Anytime Day Single (Virgin Trains Only) Euston - Milton Keynes Central, and an Anytime Single from Milton Keynes Central - Crewe.

That totals £88 with slightly less (ie just one less service in the morning peak) Virgin services calling at both Milton Keynes and Crewe.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can I use it on inter-city journeys?
You can use the ticket on any operator for which it is valid. That could involve a train that goes to another city (so inter-city in that sense) although the InterCity brand has been gone for quite some time now (sadly).
When I tried at one ticket office a while back, they justs hook their head and said they don't accept Oyster on their routes, even though the departure staion was Euston.
Oyster is a medium, not a product. If a Travelcard is held on that medium, it is just as valid as a Travelcard held on another medium, ie paper.

I find it astonishing that anyone at Virgin is still trying to claim otherwise, clearly some have not learnt from this: http://www.virgintrains.org.uk/ !

If you write to Virgin Customer Relations, they can assure appropriate training is given to the staff members concerned. They are aware of this thread but obviously without information about which ticket office, then they won't know who is making the mistake.

Virgin Customer relations are pretty good, and the staff at Euston are much improved these days.

If you PM me the details, I will pass it on, if you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.