• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Utter newbie to TrainSim...

Status
Not open for further replies.

L+Y

I've just installed TrainSim 2021 for my PC, having picked it up as part of a discount package with Humble Bundle.

That said... I'm utterly new to the game, and have no idea where to begin, or how to progress. The Academy tutorials are fairly helpful, but I'm really feeling the absence of a paper manual and tutorials!

I wondered if anybody here has any very basic steps and suggestions for me to ease myself into playing, and to make the most of it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Trains have a reverser (similar to a gear stick in an automatic car), with generally three selections: Neutral, Forward, Reverse (and Off too, but that isn’t always simulated). Move the reverser to forward when you’re ready to set off.

Press T to open the doors at stations. Generally you’ll see ‘x Car Stop’ markers at stations, where X is the number of carriages. Try to stop where the number matches your number of carriages.

For older multiple units, you’ll have seven notches of power and three notches of brake. You’ll want to avoid using full service (notch three) unless you really have to, and never use emergency unless it is that. You won’t want to go into full power straight away as that can overload the engines/traction motors, and can cause wheelslip. I tend to do notch three to start, notch five as we start to move, then notch seven about 10/15 mph. I’ll change this if it’s raining or snowing or autumn as there’s more of a chance of Wheelslip.

Braking, I’ll use notch one and two depending on speed/track/weather conditions. I’ll go into notch one when about to stop to ensure a smooth ride.

Ultimately, every train handles differently and has different controls. Some have four notches of power, some have no notches and instead have smooth controls. You’ll learn how a train performs in the game and can adjust to how it performs.

Once you learn, I highly suggest looking at Armstrong Powerhouse to upgrade the trains you do have. They add features that Dovetail regularly miss out, and make trains drive how they should do. The default 150/1 used to be horrific to drive if you didn’t have the AP pack.

Darandio

Established Member
Further to the link above for the manual on the Steam site, if you look in Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Manuals\EN then there will be a set of manuals for the content you own.

Inversnecky

Strangely they just list the 2021 Short User Guide, but if you look into your folders (by memory, hope this is right!):

programs86x/steam/common/steam apps/Railworks/manuals/en

You’ll see the full manual from TS2020 and any other routes/trains you have or later acquire.

(The Short Guide first can be a little confusing, using terms like HUD without explanation! DLC is downloadable content.)

When I started, the Academy tutorials were very helpful in learning the basics.

When you load TS, it opens in career scenarios - ignore that and click on the tab to the left, Quick Drive. Select a route, the stations in the adjacent box, then choose a simple train like an old diesel.

if you press F4 to get the full Head Up Display (HUD), you can use the same basic controls irrespective of train:

the reverser (forward, neutral, reverse), brake to right, and throttle to left.

When you use these, look in the cab to see which handles move, and you can start to identify the controls.

Just play around driving, starting and stopping. The HUD shows the distances to upcoming signals, speed limits and stations.

As you progress, you can move to the F3 simpler HUD, using your mouse to manipulate the controls, or keyboard shortcuts. And if you know a route well, get rid of the HUD altogether!

I would also recommend the forums devoted to Train Simulator at DTG:

and Steam:

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
It might be worth saying that if the OP wishes to start using keyboard controls at any point, the basic ones are:

• A - increase power applied
  • D - decrease power applied (and increase brake on most modern units)
  • ; - decrease brake applied
  • ' - increase brake applied
  • H - headlights/tail lights (on/off and change)
  • Space - horn sound 1
  • B - horn sound 2 (Space and B are often low and high horn tones respectively)
  • T - open doors
  • Q - cancel AWS (Automatic Warning System) alerts
  • E - cancel DSD (Driver Safety Device) alerts - only simulated on some trains
  • Shift+D - turn DSD on/off
  • Backspace - emergency brakes

A few of these won't be needed when starting straight away, but they might be useful for anyone else wishing to use the keyboard controls.

-Peter

Inversnecky

Would just add as well, when you want to get more routes and locos, there’s a sale on Steam, DTG, Humble Bundle, and other stores usually a good many times a year, so put those thing you have your eye on on a list, and you could save 20-70% on them in some sale.

365 Networker

Alan Thomson Sim is a good website for freeware scenarios and reskins:-
You will notice that most scenarios/ reskins require additional add-ons from Armstrong Powerhouse and Just Trains, so here are links to those websites:-

Inversnecky

Third party developers like the ones just mentioned add a heightened level of realism.

I drive AP (Armstrong Powerhouse) trains most of the time.

These are ones where you definitely have to read the manual, or you’ll be wondering why your train won’t work!

Worm

YouTube videos helped me get going initially on TSW. I made notes for the steps to take when starting up the train for example and then follow until I remember it by rote.

Status
Not open for further replies.