• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vacuum Brake Controllers on diesel and electric locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwins

Hello

I am trying to find out a little more about the different vacuum brake controllers installed on diesel and electric locos c.1940 to c.1965 (i.e. before dual brakes replaced vacuum only).

The Westinghouse controller had a large stainless steel or chrome handle with a switch for exhauster speed up on top. Photographs on Dawlish Trains show this type fitted to SR Bullied/Raworth electric locos, GWR gas turbine loco, Classes 08, 15, 31, 40 (some of), 76, 77 and prototype Deltic. [I am guessing they were probably also used on the early LMS and SR diesels.]

Can anyone tell me the model number for this control or have a manual for this they are willing to share? I can see in the photographs positions marked RUNNING, LAP, <- BRAKE -> , EMERGENCY. What were the other (two?) positions? If there was a 'Release' position, how did that differ from 'Running', since exhauster speed up was the switch on top?

The controllers shown on the same website for classes 14, 17, 25, 27, 40 (some), 47, 55, 81, 82, Falcon and Lion appear to be Davies and Metcalfe controllers, model MVB 10 or similar.

Classes 15, 21, 22, 33, 71 and 73 have what looks to be the Davies and Metcalfe MVB 5.
The last three clearly show the separate exhauster speed up button, but I can not see this on the first three.

The controller shown for the class 24 is from Gresham & Craven. Should this also have a separate exhauster speed up button? The class 09 train brake appears similar. Are the brakes shown for the class 26 and 28 also similar? I have found some information about their vacuum EQ (Mk II) controller, but does anyone have information about other G&C vacuum brake controllers?

Vacuum brake valves on Warships and Hymeks look similar. Were these also a G&C brake? What model of brake was fitted to the Westerns originally?

Which variety was fitted to classes 44 / 45 / 46?

Have I missed thinking about any other variety?

Regards

Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.