• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validity limit of [Place] Stations tickets

HappyCampers

adding to this thread rather than starting a new one - my question is similar

I have e-tickets that say Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly, when I booked there was a pop up on screen that said valid for travel to/from Deansgate, Piccadilly, Oxford Road

Didn't think anything of it when booking but now it seems Oxford Road is where I need to get to, but its one stop on from Piccadilly - will the Manchester Oxford Road barriers let me through with Manchester Piccadilly tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I have e-tickets that say Sheffield to Manchester Piccadilly, when I booked there was a pop up on screen that said valid for travel to/from Deansgate, Piccadilly, Oxford Road

Didn't think anything of it when booking but now it seems Oxford Road is where I need to get to, but its one stop on from Piccadilly - will the Manchester Oxford Road barriers let me through with Manchester Piccadilly tickets?

If it says Manchester Piccadilly it's only valid to Manchester Piccadilly, not beyond. I assume this is an Advance, if so it's only valid on your booked trains. (An &Connections Advance would allow the extra bit *if* it was to Manchester Stations).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

If it's an "Advance Single" - these are inflexible, fixed-train tickets. They are only valid on the exact train(s) shown on the ticket, and only valid to/from the exact station shown on the "mandatory reservation" section of the ticket. So if your "mandatory reservation" only shows a train to Manchester Piccadilly, you can only travel to Manchester Piccadilly.

If it's an "Off-Peak" or "Anytime Single / Return" - these are flexible tickets. It can be used on any train, subject to any route or operator restrictions shown under the "Route" (e.g. "Northern only"). Off-Peak tickets are also subject to time restrictions, as shown on the link printed on the ticket (e.g. nre.co.uk/TO).

Off-Peak or Anytime tickets are often issued to groups of stations such as Manchester Stations ("MCR" on e-tickets), which means you can travel to Piccadilly, Oxford Road or Deansgate or any other station shown on the ticket. And in 99% of cases you can also stop off at any station en-route - for example, you could stop off at Stockport, or at Manchester Piccadilly on your way to Deansgate.