• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validity of Advance: Cambridge Stations to West Midlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDavibob

(This is mostly academic, but interested in the consensus)

I have an advance single from "Cambridge or Cambridge North" to Lichfield TV, Avanti WC + Connections. This ticket was dubiously added to the database a couple of years ago when I queried the lack of adv singles from Cambridge North, so it's quite a unique "Cambridge Stations" ticket. (Rather than just adding Cambridge North to the ticket pool)

Historically, this has been valid on whatever service I like to London (within reason) so I've always ignore the itinerary provided (maintaining connection times, etc).

However, as TL now do advances, I'm actually restricted to a specific train from Cambridge to Finsbury Park (my error, not worried that I'll have to be on it albeit it's a bit irritating). However, this suggests my ticket may or may not actually be valid from Cambridge North - is it (changing at Cambridge)? (If not we've essentially de facto gone back to the old setup of no tickets from Cam North to Lichfield via London)

Either way, irritating side effect of TL advances!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
(This is mostly academic, but interested in the consensus)

I have an advance single from "Cambridge or Cambridge North" to Lichfield TV, Avanti WC + Connections. This ticket was dubiously added to the database a couple of years ago when I queried the lack of adv singles from Cambridge North, so it's quite a unique "Cambridge Stations" ticket. (Rather than just adding Cambridge North to the ticket pool)

Historically, this has been valid on whatever service I like to London (within reason) so I've always ignore the itinerary provided (maintaining connection times, etc).

However, as TL now do advances, I'm actually restricted to a specific train from Cambridge to Finsbury Park (my error, not worried that I'll have to be on it albeit it's a bit irritating). However, this suggests my ticket may or may not actually be valid from Cambridge North - is it (changing at Cambridge)? (If not we've essentially de facto gone back to the old setup of no tickets from Cam North to Lichfield via London)

Either way, irritating side effect of TL advances!
Are you saying you would prefer to take a different train to the booked one (an earlier one presumably)?

If so, next time, if you use the forum's site, you can obtain the exact itinerary you want, by clicking advanced options and specify any station you wish to interchange at, and then specify additional interchange time.

The additional interchange time you specify is added to the minimum valid interchange time.

TheDavibob

Are you saying you would prefer to take a different train to the booked one (an earlier one presumably)?

If so, next time, if you use the forum's site, you can obtain the exact itinerary you want, by clicking advanced options and specify any station you wish to interchange at, and then specify additional interchange time.

The additional interchange time you specify is added to the minimum valid interchange time.
Yep, I'll use the available tools now I know of this setup, thanks! I just wasn't paying attention at booking, assuming nothing has changed.

And yes, I was aiming to be a bit earlier - I like to make sure I make the WC train as otherwise things get flakey, even if nominally that's the railways responsibility.

ETA: obviously, using tools such as this would allow me to choose an itinerary which didn't involve quasi-reservable trains anyway, allowing me the flexibility to going back to choosing the trains I want.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And yes, I was aiming to be a bit earlier - I like to make sure I make the WC train as otherwise things get flakey, even if nominally that's the railways responsibility.
If the connecting train is delayed, there is nothing to worry about in terms of ticket validity and you would be entitled to claim Delay Repay.

However if your arrival time is really crucial to you, it's well worth specifying the additional interchange time, to minimise your chances of missing the train and being delayed into your destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.