• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validity of 'London Thameslink' tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Goddard

Established Member
You say Euston, but Euston is within spitting distance of St Pancras International for changing onto Thameslink.
I think the Elizabeth Line going via Farringdon could make the rule 'London Terminals tickets not valid to or via Farringdon' simples.
Only coming from the west, Paddington would have to be the cut-off.
But is there not a Reading to Farringdon not Underground fare coming from the west?
Oh yes Euston not a good example (was just thinking of terminals with no direct connection)- should have probably added Fenchurch Street instead!
Just looked at Paddington to Farringdon and got this, so looks like its one fare valid on either LU or Elizabeth Line.
1655046465588.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh yes Euston not a good example (was just thinking of terminals with no direct connection)- should have probably added Fenchurch Street instead!
Just looked at Paddington to Farringdon and got this, so looks like its one fare valid on either LU or Elizabeth Line.
View attachment 116083
That’s a distress purchase TfL/LU cash fare, you would be far better off with oyster or contactless PAYG?

David Goddard

Established Member
That’s a distress purchase TfL/LU cash fare, you would be far better off with oyster or contactless PAYG?
Certainly would. Another reason why these kinds of fares should be removed so that the unsuspecting passenger does not get ripped off. Daily cap for train only of £7.70 so nearly £5 cheaper.

For some journeys London Thameslink fares are the same as those to London Terminals, but on other routes a supplement is charged. Harmonisation would mean less revenue / increased fares or mixture of both.

Richardr

Yes, London Thameslink is merely 'shorthand' for a group of stations made up of London St Pancras, Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant & Castle. Similarly to how London Terminals refers to a group of about 15 stations, not all of which are strictly speaking termini.

There is no distinction between the high and low level platforms at St Pancras and, being an Any Permitted ticket, it's valid on all operators on all permitted routes - so use on the EMR Connect service is absolutely fine.

Incidentally this ticket is also valid into Euston via the Bedford-Bletchley or St Albans Abbey branches.
Out of interest, if I used this ticket on the St Albans Abbey route, via Watford Junction into Euston, is it permitted to break the journey at Watford?

I recently had to go from St Albans to London and back, but had to as part of it have an appointment in Watford. I bought individual singles on the Abbey branch to Watford Junction, Watford Junction to London and London St Pancras back to St Albans City. Would a London Thameslink return from St Albans have sufficed with the break at Watford Junction?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Out of interest, if I used this ticket on the St Albans Abbey route, via Watford Junction into Euston, is it permitted to break the journey at Watford?

I recently had to go from St Albans to London and back, but had to as part of it have an appointment in Watford. I bought individual singles on the Abbey branch to Watford Junction, Watford Junction to London and London St Pancras back to St Albans City. Would a London Thameslink return from St Albans have sufficed with the break at Watford Junction?
Yes, generally speaking the only time where break of journey along a valid route isn't permitted is if you are relying on the use of a direct service (either from origin to destination, or origin to common Routeing Point and then to destination).

As for the latter question, the answer apparently depends on which booking engine you consult! Some (e.g. TrainSplit and Trainline) apply a "rule" that you cannot start or end a journey with a walk - and hence instead sell a ticket from St Albans Abbey. Others are happy to sell a St Albans City ticket.

Of course you're entitled to book and travel in accordance with the itinerary offered by one of the latter kinds of booking engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.