• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validity of ticket next day due to disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolzac

I just need a bit of advice.

I have an off peak return with a Network Railcard from Clapham Junction to Durrington. My intention is to travel back from Durrington to Clapham Junction on Tuesday evening. However, of course I am fully aware of the potential for disruption.

If I cannot make the journey due to cancellations, would my ticket be valid to travel the following morning? I could get to work on time but it would have to be travelling on the service at 6.34 from Durrington to CLJ, but I am aware that my ticket normally wouldn't allow me to travel at this time, both due to it being off peak and used with a network railcard. My argument would be that I'm actually 9 hours delayed, so therefore I'm allowed to travel at this time. Would this argument hold water?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
If trains are running the day before, even if disrupted they will no doubt say you should catch them or get your ticket refunded. I can't see them saying it would be valid the next morning.

Of course, if no trains run it night be different as it would be the first time you can catch.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is what the Southern Railway website says on the matter, which is fairly clear:
If you decide not to travel:

You can use tickets dated Monday 18 and Tuesday 19 July to travel with Southern, Gatwick Express, Thameslink or Great Northern on Wednesday 20 and Thursday 21 July instead. If you choose to delay your travel, please note that the original ticket restrictions will still apply. If you are using an Advance Purchase ticket, please travel as close to the original departure time as possible.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
This is awkward. The railway says 'do not travel' and doesn't want people 'trying it on' to travel at peak times with off-peak tickets, but a rule like this only encourages passengers to make journeys when they are told not to.

Ultimately, I guess it comes down to the discretion of the on-board supervisor / guard and gateline staff.

It seems that in the circumstances, with the dramatic difference in conditions between Tuesday and Wednesday the restriction should be less onerous.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Essentially the railway wants to have its cake and eat it.

It wants to put out a message of "do not travel" or "essential travel only" as some sort of purported justification for stranding people and not providing alternative transport or delay compensation.

And yet when people heed that advice and travel on a different day - the railway further inconveniences them by insisting on restrictions continuing to apply. In most cases this is despite people being entitled to travel at the next opportunity (e.g. when the line reopens), not whenever the industry feels like getting them to their destination.

The railway is so worried about the potential for 1% of people to "misuse" such permission (e.g. by buying a cheaper Off-Peak/TOC only ticket when they were intending to travel on a train where an Anytime/Any Permitted ticket would have been needed) that it would rather inconvenience and p*** off the 99%.

It's a perfect demonstration of the systemic problem the rail industry has with its attitude to customer service - that it gives the distinct impression of not giving a toss.

Coolzac

Exactly. All I need is to get home Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning. My ticket is valid Tuesday evening and I would ideally like to get back then, but if no trains are running or its severely disrupted, I can travel Wednesday morning to make it easier for myself and the railway. However, if this is the case, it seems unfair to have to pay for a new ticket!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If I held an advance ticket for today, am I right in saying:

I can ONLY use it for the scheduled train today.

I can use it for any train Tuesday or Wednesday?

That’s what Avanti are tweeting out

Status
Not open for further replies.