• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Valley Lines Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Just so any who wants to try it themselves, here's some of the rules I've literally just pulled off my head and re-worded from tubechallenge:

1) The lines to be covered are: Cardiff to Bridgend via Rhoose; Bridgend to Maesteg; Cardiff to Radyr via Ninian Park; Cardiff to Radyr via Llandaf; Radyr - Pontypridd - Aberdare; Pontypridd to Merthyr Tydfil; Pontypridd to Treherbert; Cardiff to Coryton; Cardiff to Rhymney; Cardiff Queen Street to Cardiff Bay.

2) Treforest Estate can be passed without problem, as not many trains call there.

3) Lines can be covered by any train running on it. To do the Rhymney line, you can board a Caerphilly train, join a Bargoed train then a Rhymney train if you like. It's more important to get the line covered.

4) Walking between Heath High Level and Low Level is allowed, as is walking between Abercyon North and South.

5) Express services (such as the 1442 Cardiff to Aberdare via Ninian Park) is permitted. However, you may only use ONE express service on the challenge in its entireity.

6) Pictorial proof of visiting a route terminus or other station MUST be gotten. No proof, no record.

7) It is recommended you start in Cardiff, at the Central station. If you start here, take a picture of the information display or other recognised time-keeping method on the platform.

8) Recording of trains taken on the challenge is essential.

9) Bus travel, or foot travel, between stations is not permitted except in extreme cases. Hence, you should not try this challenge at a weekend.

10) Recording the finishing time should be done in the same fashion as of starting, photo a recognised time-keeping device.

These rules are not confirmed by me yet, but they're the rules I'm laying down for now. Indeed, I'll be following these on my first try of this, so as to gauge how fair they are, or whether they need changing, etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
all in one day? crikey you'd be sick of pacer's and 150/2's! I'm willing to give it a go some time soon though!

Status
Not open for further replies.