• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Valleys Day Ranger. 27/1/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

StripeyNick

Hi folks!

Having been inspired by many of the trip reports on here and, having been for a day out on the railways for the first time, I thought I’d try my best to compile a report of the day out which was completed last Tuesday (Jan 27th).

Firstly, let me apologise in advance as I have a tendency to waffle when writing!

Secondly, a bit of a background. I have lived in S.Wales for over 20 years but surprisingly, I haven’t covered all of the Valleys network. I also volunteer at the Barry Tourist Railway and a couple of the guys there get out and about on the railway network quite often so, when I had mentioned about needing some of the local branches, a plan was hatched for a day out using a Valleys Ranger ticket…..good value at £11. (The last time I did one it was about £7 but I think that was easily 15 years ago!)

The branches I needed to cover were Maesteg, Ebbw Vale, Aberdare and Coryton so I spent some time trying to come up with an plan to cover them all within daylight hours. (The ticket only being valid after 9:30am). I didn’t see the point in travelling in the dark as I wanted some sort of view so the plan was put forward to the group only to be rejected straight away as one of them was joining us at Abercynon which meant we had to do the Aberdare branch first and take a ticket up with us as they are only available from staffed stations.

And so, to the trip.

I live in Cowbridge which is about 12 miles from the nearest staffed station, that being Barry. I set off just before 9am as I knew parking would be a bit iffy at the station which it was. The station car park was full (a good sign I guess) and the main road in front of the station was pretty full too. Luckily I managed to bag the last space on the main road.

I got to the station as another of our group arrived so we got our tickets and headed out on to the platform to check out the departure screens only to be greeted by a list of cancelled trains including the one to Aberdare!! Cue some head scratching as I had (foolishly) no “plan B”. In the meantime, 2 more from our group arrived so we had a quick chat to work out what to do. Luckily we’d all arrived early in Barry and the train before our planned move was running so the decision was made to jump on that to Cardiff then once we were there, we could work out an alternative plan.

Our first move of the day then was on the 2J06, 9:26 Barry Island to Pontypridd service (from Barry to Cardiff Central) which was worked by 142083 & 142085. The service was pretty empty so we were able to spread out and enjoy the half hour trip into Cardiff.

Whilst we were picking up passengers at Cadoxton, 66035 passed us on the freight only branch down to Barry Docks with a rake of empty container wagons from Newport ADJ. As per usual, the train was held by Canton depot to await space in platform 6. This gave us a great view of both the Arriva depot and the Colas depot where 60085 was stabled (later to work to Tilbury) along with 56078 and 56087 which must have only just been switched on as they were covering the depot with quite a smoke screen. The Arriva depot was pretty empty with most units still being out on commuter services. 66132 was waiting in the centre road at Cardiff Central with coal going from Avonmouth to Aberthaw power station.

Colas' Canton depot. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

At this point, I will let you know that I didn’t pay much attention to the punctuality of the services. I was only keeping an eye on booked departure times of the trains we wanted.

When we arrived at Central, we met up with another member of our group who, being a bit more clued up to the running of the network and who had access to the ‘net, told us that the train we had planned to get to Aberdare was still running and was starting from Cardiff Central instead of Bridgend as booked which meant that we didn’t have to revert to a “plan B”.

As it so happened, the initial trouble proved make the day more interesting as an earlier arrival (and change of trains) at Central meant that we were able see the Holyhead to Cardiff “WAG “ arrive which was unusually hauled by silver 67029 Royal Diamond instead of on the the usual Arriva liveried locos. We also saw 66008 pass through with the 4C55 Aberthaw to Avonmouth coal empties.

67029 at Cardiff Central. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

Our next train was the 2A18, 10:11 Cardiff Central to Aberdare service which was formed of 150213 which has now lost it’s Arriva 10th anniversary branding. To make up time, we were routed out of Cardiff to Radyr non-stop via the City Line (around the back of Canton etc) which is something I haven’t done before and had wanted to include in the trip but couldn’t. Upon passing Canton again, I noticed that the two 56s had been coupled together which got my attention as it meant there was a strong chance they’d both be on the logs from Baglan Bay later in the afternoon. Needless to say, the gen was passed on to a friend further down the SWML. The non-stop run meant that Radyr was reached much quicker than I’d anticipated. Just north of the station we passed the weir on the River Taff which is a lovely photo spot that is thankfully not dominated by units. I pointed out how to get to it to one of my fellow travellers who wants to find it.

We picked up the last of our group at Abercynon and gave him his ticket. We were now complete, 6 of us. The lad that joined us is admin on the Disused Railways group on Facebook and he was able to provide up with lots of fascinating information about former lines and structures in the area especially on the line between Radyr and Aberdare. At this point I was now on my first bit of new track for the day (Abercynon to Aberdare). I have to say it was quite a pleasant trip. I even managed to get a quick pic at Mountain Ash as we waited for the southbound train to cross us.
Upon arrival at Aberdare, we were greeted by 66100 which was waiting at the old station to follow our train down the valley with the 6C45 Tower Colliery to Aberthaw Power Station coal working.

Photo call at Aberdare. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

150213 at Aberdare. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

We had a bit of time to take some photos including a group one before heading back to Cardiff on 150213 again this time working the 2Y41 11:22 Aberdare to Barry Island service again with a running commentary about railway history.
The approach to Cardiff was slow as we had to wait at Cathays for a platform at Queen St which was a bit ironic given the recent opening of new platforms to increase capacity. I suspect it was as a result of the earlier delays (which seemed to carry on throughout the day). Now, I must admit, I was starting to panic at this point as our next move was to Ebbw Vale and the connection at Central was tight and was made slightly tighter as one of our group couldn’t dash from one side of the station as quickly as the rest of us so we decided that we’d aim for it and if we missed it, well, time to consult the timetables for another option.
Luckily we got the next train with only a couple of minutes to spare and we were on our way again. This time on the 2N15 12:35 Cardiff Central to Ebbw Vale (and 2F38, 13:39 Ebbw Vale to Cardiff Central) which was formed of 150252. I had hoped for a 153 or 158 but this time it wasn’t to be.
Once on the main line, I took the chance to take a quick toilet break only to be told when I came back that we had passed a GBRf 66 on stone. I wasn’t too worried though as I knew it’d be in Pengam when we passed on our way back. I kept an eye out as we passed the container terminal at Wentloog on the off chance I’d see what had brought in that day’s Tesco train but I couldn’t see anything. (It turns out 66305 was in there but I didn’t need it so it didn’t matter that I missed it).
As we slowed to turn off the main line there were a couple of 66s visible in Alexandra Dock Jcn yard on various trains. The morning Ford train was visible as was 66131 on steel.
The run up to Ebbw Vale was quite a nice one but it struck me that this time of year is the best time to do it as the branch it bordered by some quite heavy vegetation so I can imagine that the view is pretty much non existent in the summer months. One of the gang got off the train at Llanhilleth as his belly was calling him so he went off in search of curry! I had taken food with me so I was okay!
We only had a short time at Ebbw Vale (but it was more than enough!) Although the branch from the main line was new track for me, I had actually covered the track from the old stop board when the steel works were still there as a friend worked up there and got to know the yard shunters so many years ago, I was lucky enough to get to cover all the works network in the Hunslet Barclay shunters that were resident up there. It was very strange seeing how the area had changed since then.

150252 at Ebbw Vale Parkway. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

Having got the record photos, it was time to head back to Cardiff and onwards to the next required branch. We came back on the fast line into Cardiff which I was surprised at as I always thought they came in on the relief. Perhaps it’s the Cheltenham to Maesteg trains that use the relief. I got to see the GBRF 66 as we passed Pengam again. It was 66710 having worked the 6A40 stone from Avonmouth. For those who don’t know, GBRf have taken over some stone workings from Freightliner and this now gives us daylight GBRf workings in S.Wales which provides a bit of variety.

The next branch to cover was Maesteg. Unfortunately, the timings for these trains in relation to the Ebbw Vale trains meant that we’d just miss one train and have to wait 50 minutes for the next one so we had 2 options. My plan was to have a break in Cardiff for a bit (perhaps pop across to the Ian Allan shop for one last look before it closes) whereas a couple of others wanted to do the Vale Of Glamorgan route to Bridgend and then catch the Maesteg train from Bridgend. This plan was fine but it meant another tight connection. On the way back from Ebbw Vale however, I worked out that we could do the Vale on the return instead which would work out better for most of us as it meant less repetition (we’d have ended up doing Barry to Cardiff four times otherwise) so we decided to go with that option and have a break for a bit. A couple of the guys went to Ian Allan whilst the rest of us went up to Queen St on 150208 which was working the 2A36 13:42 Bridgend to Aberdare service. We wanted to have a look at the new platforms and also the bench that has been recently put in place as a memorial to Tom Clift, the late owner of 26038 and also the former Valley Lines boss (and one of those responsible for the reintroduction of loco hauled services in the late ‘90s.). At this point there was an ambitious plan to have a quick spin on the Bay bubble but we soon realised that we wouldn’t have time to do it so we headed back to Central aboard 143624 & 143610 which were on the 2P63, 14:17 Bargoed to Penarth service.

Tom Clift's memorial. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

150208 at Cardiff Queen St. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

Once back at Central, a quick look on Realtimetrains brought two Cwmbargoed coal trains to our attention. One up and one down. Sure enough, within a few minutes, 66132 passed through platform 6 with empties from Aberthaw to Cwmbargoed. Unfortunately the other train was a bit late and was due through as we were booked to leave.
Our next trip was from Cardiff to Maesteg aboard 158830 which was working the 2L59, 13:45 Cheltenham Spa to Maesteg service. It’s been quite some time since I’ve travelled on a 158 so I certainly welcomed it’s appearance. I was told that the ATW 158s are much nicer than the FGW ones. I must admit, I don’t remember the finer details of the FGW one I travelled on some years back so I couldn’t really compare.
As we left, sure enough, the Cwmbargoed to Aberthaw loaded coal came through and it actually ran parallel with us upon departure. It’s a shame it wasn’t earlier as 66114 in DB red was on it and I haven’t got a photo of it since it was painted. Still, you can’t win them all!! Upon passing Canton again, I noted that the 56s had gone……..presumably to Baglan Bay leaving just 60085 at the front of the depot and 08499 around the back. On the City Line at Ninian Park, 66014 was waiting to follow us along the main line with coal empties from Aberthaw to Onllwyn.
At Bridgend, two of the group got off as the logs were due through as we were on the Maesteg branch so they decided they’d rather see those go through……….especially seeing as there was every likelihood that there would be a pair on. Now, at this point, I was torn as to what to do. Seeing a pair of Grids thrashing through Bridgend was tempting but being as I’d only taken a point and shoot compact camera with me, I knew I wouldn’t get a decent photo so I opted to stay on the train to clear the next branch………..after all, that was the point of the day out! Once we got to Tondu, it was now my turn to point out points of interest such as the signal box, the Margam branch and the disused Pontycymmer branch. The branch isn’t exactly scenic upon departure from Bridgend and gun shot markings on the station signs at Garth didn’t exactly paint a great picture of the area.

158830 at Maesteg. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

We headed straight back from Maesteg to Bridgend on the same unit which was now running as the 2G66, 16:15 Maesteg to Cheltenham Spa service. As we headed back, the guard on board asked if we were catching the service via the Vale and told us that we have just enough time to cross platforms at Bridgend which we did as the train was waiting in the bay platform. A few people crossed onto it so I don’t think we needed to worry too much.
We met back up with the two that left at Bridgend (who had seen the double headed logs) and were now on board the 2A48, 16:42 Bridgend to Aberdare service which was being worked by 150213. By this point it was getting dark so there wasn’t much to be seen along the route though we did see a 66 on coal empties at Aberthaw and it was just about light enough to take in the sea as we crossed Porthkerry viaduct.

We were homeward bound now. I had decided to not bother with Coryton this time as I didn’t see any point in doing it in the dark. It gives me an excuse to have another day out where I can cover that plus revisit the other Valleys branches (Merthyr, Treherbert, Cardiff Bay and Rhymney).
We said good bye to one of the group at Barry. Although I had started there too, I wanted to do the new platform at Barry so I stayed on a bit longer and left the train at Barry Docks. I was joined by a couple of others leaving one of our friends to carry on to Eastbrook as they live next to the station there.
To get the new platform in at Barry, we had a quick spin over to the Island aboard 142082 and 150237 (which looked…..and smelled….to be freshly refurbished) as they worked the 2Y69, 16:08 Merthyr Tydfil to Barry Island and 2J28, 17:41 Barry Island to Pontypridd services.

150237 at Barry Island. 27/1/15 by Nick Wilcock, on Flickr

And so, with that mission accomplished, I left at Barry on the return with my friends carrying on to Cardiff and eventually Abercynon.
Apart from the slight hiccup at the start of the day and some tight connections, everything went reasonably well and I covered most of what I set out to.

Since the day out, I have been looking at what other rovers are available that could cover some lines that I still require and some that I would like to revisit. (The bulk of my travelling was done between 1993 and 2004 so it’s high time I got out again). I think the next one I’d try is the Freedom Of The Severn & Solent as it’s valid from Cardiff but I may wait until the days get longer. I think next time though, I need to have some form of back up plan should anything go wrong!

Hopefully I haven’t bored you all. I’ll add some pictures to this once I’ve put then on Flickr.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

postye

Sounds like a good day out there.

That's the only trouble with trips this time of year is the light, I really want to do a valleys as there's some magnificent scenery to look at so I'll have to wait until the days are much longer.

Kite159

Veteran Member
and take a ticket up with us as they are only available from staffed stations.

For future reference, the valley line day ranger is available from the FGW website, which you need to buy at least 7 days in advance to get free postage. Quite odd as the ticket itself isn't valid on FGW services ;)

---

Quite a busy day around some nice lines, I will probably head back that way at some-point in the year to revisit them.

Kristofferson

Some good highlights in there, you're right about the wall of text! :lol:

Will give it an in depth read when the pics are up :)

StripeyNick

For future reference, the valley line day ranger is available from the FGW website, which you need to buy at least 7 days in advance to get free postage. Quite odd as the ticket itself isn't valid on FGW services ;)

---

Quite a busy day around some nice lines, I will probably head back that way at some-point in the year to revisit them.

Many thanks for that. I'll bear that info in mind.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some good highlights in there, you're right about the wall of text! :lol:

Will give it an in depth read when the pics are up :)

Yeah sorry about that!!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have started reading this, but this cold I've currently got is making me sleepy so I will return to reading it soon!

Glad you decided to join the trip writing community, enjoyed the read so far (only got to Aberdare yet)!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have now read the entire trip report, most enjoyable and looks like it was an excellent day out!

Phwoar at the thought of a pair of 56s working a heavy freight, that would be awesome to see!

I need to return to the Valleys one day for the new platform at Barry, as well as the new one at Queen Street. Nice and cheap day out there, when Ebbw Vale Town opens I might combine all 3 bits.

As for the 'wall of text' that's nothing! Some of my trip reports are much longer!

Established Member
Very interesting read, that.
Thanks for posting.
I've done a couple of Valley Line Rangers but spent most of the time doing the bit between Grangetown and Queen street as I chased down exotic pacers :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
The new platform layout at Queen Street makes it a bit harder to unit bash as you could come into the new P5 and have to go under the subway to either P2 or the island 3/4

What is Grangetown like platform wise?

Established Member
Grangetown is an island platform, so no problems there.
I've not been down that way recently, so haven't experienced Queen Street's new platforms.
If and when I do at least it'll be a bit of exercise for me :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Very interesting report on an area of the country I know little about.

If I can ever afford another ALR I will cover this area. I wanted to do some of it this year but dropped it for more loco haulage.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Very interesting report on an area of the country I know little about.

If I can ever afford another ALR I will cover this area. I wanted to do some of it this year but dropped it for more loco haulage.

Why waste an ALR when you could probably get some cheapish advances to Cardiff and base yourself around South Wales. Or if you want to explore Wales, look at the "Explore Wales" ticket.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
StripeyNick:2066884 said:
I need to return to the Valleys one day for the new platform at Barry, as well as the new one at Queen Street. Nice and cheap day out there, when Ebbw Vale Town opens I might combine all 3 bits.

Don;t forget the new bays at Caerphilly & Pontypridd too.

Good point, could take a while to get around all that!

Status
Not open for further replies.