• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Van Hool Astromega TDX29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzby

Apologies if this is well-known, but I noticed Brian Soutar has donated the above beast to the Bridgeton Bus Garage in Glasgow belonging to the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust. The garage is opening up at weekends and this is their latest exhibit - the tri-axle sleeper coach was one of the first to be fitted out with beds for the Glasgow to London route. Visitors will get a chance to board and see what the bunks were like!

Full details of visit dates are on their website: https://gvvt.org/events

IMG_0187.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tjwpsv

Has this been converted back to 'sleeper' configuration? As it was last used on catered sightseeing tours in Edinburgh, I would assume that the bunks had been removed.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It was mentioned in Route One the other week:

Sir Brian Souter donates former Megabus Gold coach to GVVT
Stagecoach co-founder and former Chairman Sir Brian Souter (pictured, left) has loaned a one-time Megabus Gold Van Hool Astromega TDX29 double-decker coach dating from 2013 to the Glasgow Vintage Vehicle Trust (GVVT). The coach has taken up residence at GVVT’s former Bridgeton bus garage in the city.

The 15-metre Astromega formed part of the Megabus Gold fleet offering sleeping berths for overnight journeys between London and Scotland that were convertible to seats for use during the daytime.

After Megabus Gold ceased in 2017, the coach moved onto more conventional express work before becoming a luxury sightseeing vehicle in Edinburgh under the SuperBus brand. It retains SuperBus identity at Bridgeton, where it has become both the youngest and the largest member of the 130-vehicle GVVT collection.

Sir Brian has described the coach as “a high point in vehicle development as the first custom-built sleeper coach for service in the UK.” He hopes that the new relationship with GVVT will encourage more young people to consider a career in the bus industry.

The Van Hool will be on show during Bridgeton open days and garage tours. When fully prepared, visitors will be able to board and view its interior, including part of the coach in sleeper configuration.

Adds Sir Brian: “I hope it sparks the interest of children in particular. It would be great if some go on to careers in the industry. Meanwhile, I look forward to developing a relationship with GVVT and working together more in the future.” Other buses from earlier days of Stagecoach operation present at Bridgeton include a Volvo Citybus double-decker, a B10M single-decker, a Leyland Leopard and a Dennis Trident.

Welcoming the arrival of the Astromega, GVVT Chairman Steven Booth says: “I was delighted to show Sir Brian around the garage and give him a chance to take a trip down memory lane, seeing buses that were part of his early working life.

“The arrival of the Astromega is special. It will provide a great attraction and it fits with our drive to encourage more families, especially kids. I am sure they will think it is fantastic. We are very grateful to Sir Brian for providing access to the vehicle for visitors, and we look forward to working with him on more projects.”
There's no mention of it being converted back.

Buzby

According to the website some of the bunks were reinstated - as they were fold-away and there was a mention it had a 50/50 split with searing. Whether this was done for the sightseeing tour of for the museum placement will have to wait until I can ask the question when I go there next month!

Towers

Established Member
Was Mr Souter running whatever ‘Superbus’ is/was?

Last edited:

Buzby

Yup - another of his speculative ventures. I think it was a bit too big to fit in to his private collection site outside Perth.

Towers

Established Member
They
Yup - another of his speculative ventures. I think it was a bit too big to fit in to his private collection site outside Perth.
They’re lovely things :)

I’ve just noted the linked article says that Mr Souter has loaned the vehicle to the museum, rather than donated it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.