• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgil rail vs lul staff pass pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Hmmm. What problem are you having exactly? Have you bought a new season ticket as far as Watford Junction and subsequently been charged for new tickets?

Last edited:

ssray

My london underground staff pass covers me inbetween watford and euston, virgin dont accept this so last year i payed 8.5k instead of 7.2k
quite a diffrence
i have just found out its a historic agreement that virgin are ignoring
i'm on a stupid phone at the mo but the link gives everything i have tried so far
cheers
Ray

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, it is a historic agreement and Virgin Trains are choosing to not only ignore it but deny it exists! Very odd but not the first time they've acted incorrectly

RJ

Established Member
If it is still in effect and recorded in a relevant place, it should be a rather open and shut case. Where is this agreement documented in writing?

Yes, it is a historic agreement and Virgin Trains are choosing to not only ignore it but deny it exists! Very odd but not the first time they've acted incorrectly

I don't know what to say about that website. If it did have a credible point to make, it has been entirely lost by the puerile manner in which it is written and very short sighted opinions of the author. Is it supposed to be taken seriously by anybody?

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
the wording is 'valid on national rail services between Euston and Watford Junction' and it is not a season ticket so under condition 19 of the CoC the combination is valid.
unless VT are not members of ATOC?

dont quote me exactly on that, i dont have the paperwork here...
(on a 321 at Harrow)

barrykas

Established Member
TfL Staff Pass validity is documented on the LU Intranet, and in the "Travel Facility Rules" (specifically page 51) in the RSP section of the Members' area on the ATOC site.

Euston - Watford Junction is most definitely on the list...

AlexS

Established Member
As Virgin Trains services are pick up only at WFJ heading north and set down only heading south, surely this agreement is not valid on their services as there is no service provided from Watford Junction to London and London to Watford Junction? You'd surely be restricted to London Midland/London Overground services as I can't see how/why they would change a pick up/set down only rule just for TfL staff passes? Surely it depends how the TfL staff pass is viewed (is it a ticket or a privilege?).

It's certainly an interesting one in terms of the condition 19 rules and I'd be interested to see how ATOC come back with it.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As Virgin Trains services are pick up only at WFJ heading north and set down only heading south, surely this 'agreement' is not valid on their services as there is no service provided from Watford Junction to London and London to Watford Junction? You'd surely be restricted to London Midland/London Overground services as I can't see how/why they would change a pick up/set down only rule just for TfL staff.

The arguement is that it's valid due to Section 19(c) of the RCoC. If this is correct then the train doesn't even need to stop at Watford Junction so it's irrelevant that it's pick-up only.

Nym

Established Member
As Virgin Trains services are pick up only at WFJ heading north and set down only heading south, surely this agreement is not valid on their services as there is no service provided from Watford Junction to London and London to Watford Junction? You'd surely be restricted to London Midland/London Overground services as I can't see how/why they would change a pick up/set down only rule just for TfL staff passes? Surely it depends how the TfL staff pass is viewed (is it a ticket or a privilege?).

It's certainly an interesting one in terms of the condition 19 rules and I'd be interested to see how ATOC come back with it.

I refer you to condition 19(c) (oops, beaten to it)...

Can a TfL staff pass be said to be a season ticket?

No, it is not a season ticket.

Nowhere in any documentation or on any of the issued plastic is the word season or ticket used...

Pumbaa

Established Member
I think we've had confirmation before from ATOC that staff passes are to be treated as leisure passes, and are therefore eligible for 19(c).

But the point about Watford being set down and therefore no service has been done to death with no satisfactory conclusion as yet.

ssray

I did contact the othe site,to no avail
i have taken a print of the page that shows where my staff pass is valid, virgin wanted to know who allowed there logo to be put on the page!
I have searched high and low for a printed version(apart from the one shown to them)
the only other option is to find a friendly ticket office buy my season from brum to wat then hand it bace for a dupe(no price) then have watford overwritten with london terminals, not till the end of the year, so still time for virgin to roll over!!!
Thanks for the replys
Ray

ssray

Not a happy bunny, Just paid £9004 to virgin :(
Have contacted atoc, tfl staff travel and Tony Collins at virgin(again)

Still no info from anybody

If I purchased my season ticket fron Brum to watford I can see a lot of trouble with the gateling staff at euston on the way home, I need to get this confirmed before I do that

Also I have been given 2 void days!!!!! not happy

Cheers

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.