• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin and stagecoach net £51.2 M in dividends

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH

Established Member
That’d certainly be true of full privatisation but our current system seems to consist mainly of short term, hugely complex, rather inflexible contractual relationships and multiple sub contractors etc which I’d think at very least would come close to containing a similar number of perverse incentives within it

We’ve had the Brown review, and we’re soon embarking on yet another enquiry, how many new trains could we buy with the costs of these ?
I agree that the current system is also bad. TBH it's actually quite difficult to imagine a good one, given that government is going to 'meddle' a lot whatever it is.

The problem is not that we have enquiries; it's that we never actually follow the recommendations, which makes them a colossal waste of money.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

underbank

Established Member
That’d certainly be true of full privatisation but our current system seems to consist mainly of short term, hugely complex, rather inflexible contractual relationships and multiple sub contractors etc which I’d think at very least would come close to containing a similar number of perverse incentives within it

Sounds like the nationalised NHS service where you have different trusts/departments arguing between themselves as to who is responsible for what treatments/costs etc, and patients being moved around according to cost centres rather than the best treatment for them, and where you have nationalised third parties, such as social care, not working properly in partnership due to arguments about budgets etc. I'm 100% certain that even if the railways were nationalised, things wouldn't be any better because you'd still have separate governmental depts/quangos unable to work efficiently together for the greater good, in the same way that the NHS is so fragmented to the detriment of their patients.

HH

Established Member
Sounds like the nationalised NHS service where you have different trusts/departments arguing between themselves as to who is responsible for what treatments/costs etc, and patients being moved around according to cost centres rather than the best treatment for them, and where you have nationalised third parties, such as social care, not working properly in partnership due to arguments about budgets etc. I'm 100% certain that even if the railways were nationalised, things wouldn't be any better because you'd still have separate governmental depts/quangos unable to work efficiently together for the greater good, in the same way that the NHS is so fragmented to the detriment of their patients.
Not to mention the usual government mis-purchase of IT, and the general administration malaise. For instance, the day after my last hospital appointment I got the next. Two days later they cancelled that and I haven't heard since (6 weeks). I've turned up for appointments and after waiting 1.5 hours for the doctor, they then discover they haven't got a room booked. And so on. The treatment is great, but breweries are piss-up free zones.

underbank

Established Member
I've turned up for appointments and after waiting 1.5 hours for the doctor, they then discover they haven't got a room booked.

Yes, I waited with my OH for a joint meeting with a consultant and transplant co-ordinator, booked weeks in advance. 3 hours after the appointment time, we were finally called through to see the consultant, who just blandly said unfortunately the co-ordinator had already left for the day. The appointment had been for the morning session, but it was after 2pm when we were finally called through, and the transplant co-ordinator only worked mornings! What was really annoying was that we'd seen her walking through the waiting room and had even exchanged pleasantries as we'd met previously and she'd recognised us - we'd even seen her walk out in her coat assuming she was going for lunch. That was a completely wasted day for us, as the hospital was a 90 minute drive from home. That's the reality of nationalised public sector. Before I'd be in favour of renationalising the railways, I'd want to know exactly what changes they'd make and how the service would be improved for the public. Far too many people lazily saying "nationalise it" without any thought as to why.

Status
Not open for further replies.