• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Catering from Glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJW

I'm confused about the 1st class catering on the Virgin Trains from Glasgow. I intend travelling from Glasgow to Crewe on Thursday 20th December and have three options, 17:30, 17:40 and 18:40. I know that there is a 1st class meal avaible on the 18:40, but cannot work out what is available on the other two.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

telstarbox

Established Member
Details are on this page - click the Evening Meal section.

The 1730 is a Pendolino service so you get:
VT said:
Choice of two tasty seasonal hot options (vegetarian option available) or a choice of a delicious sandwich or snack.
Sweet dessert like a chilled pudding or slice of cake, or cheese and biscuits (selected services only).

The 1740 is a Super Voyager service so you get:
VT said:
Choice of two tasty seasonal hot options (vegetarian option available) or a choice of a delicious sandwich or snack.
Sweet dessert like a chilled pudding or slice of cake (NB. Cheese and biscuits not available).

The 1840 journey option involves a change at Carlisle. The first train (from Glasgow to Carlisle) is the same as the 1730 offering, the second train (from Carlisle to Crewe) is the same as the 1740. You could get both in theory!

AJW

Thanks for the info. I wasn't certain about which services were Pendolinos and which Voyagers. Also I thought that the offering on Voyagers was more different to the Pendolinos than no cheese and biscuits.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It is different, the VT advertising is over-egging things slightly. My understanding is that the situation has improved but if you're on a Voyager the food will not be as substantial/good as what you'd get on a Pendolino.

AJW

Looks as if the 17:30 is the way to go, direct and better food than the 17:40.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The 1730 is a Pendolino service so you get:
The 1740 is a Super Voyager service so you get:
The 1840 journey option involves a change at Carlisle. The first train (from Glasgow to Carlisle) is the same as the 1730 offering, the second train (from Carlisle to Crewe) is the same as the 1740. You could get both in theory!

True, but you could change trains anywhere up to Warrington and stay on the Pendolino longer.
Preston is the best place to change.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I'm currently on the 17:20 Birmingham to Glasgow (a very busy Voyager, including in First Class), the meal options being 'sausage casserole' or 'carrot curry.' I chose the former, which whilst tasty, is rather small. The service is attentive, though!

The evening meals on Pendolinos are generally more substantial, but occasionally worse than those on the Voyagers. As there is no easy way to tell in advance I still opt for a Pendolino when I have the option - there are a greater number of First Class seats and cheese & biscuits are available.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm currently on the 17:20 Birmingham to Glasgow (a very busy Voyager, including in First Class), the meal options being 'sausage casserole' or 'carrot curry.

Thanks for the info ALR.

I wasn't sure if the Birmingham-Scotland Super Voyagers offered Evening Meals or not, as the VT website says they do if the journey starts between 17:00 and 19:00, but the timetable doesn't say they do.

I emailed VT about it, who said because the timetable wasn't shaded, they didn't think they do Evening Meals on them.

Also.. I believe the Super Voyager breakfast has been changed. :(
Do you know what is on offer in its place? I used to really like the Mini Grill.. Ok it wasn't anywhere near the quality of a Full English, but considering the lack of "proper" cooking facilities in the galley, I thought it was rather good.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Thanks for the info ALR.

I wasn't sure if the Birmingham-Scotland Super Voyagers offered Evening Meals or not, as the VT website says they do if the journey starts between 17:00 and 19:00, but the timetable doesn't say they do.

I emailed VT about it, who said because the timetable wasn't shaded, they didn't think they do Evening Meals on them.

Evening meals have been served on the Birmingham-Scotland services since the May timetable change, as indicated in the timetable. Since this month's timetable change, they are also available on the 16:00 departure from Glasgow and the 16:20 departure from Birmingham, although as these two services are currently Pendolinos, and Birmingham-Scotland Pendolinos always seem to be short staffed, I'm not sure if the Pendolino Evening Meal is available on these services. (I should be on the 16:20 tomorrow so I'll find out then!)

Also.. I believe the Super Voyager breakfast has been changed. :(
Do you know what is on offer in its place? I used to really like the Mini Grill.. Ok it wasn't anywhere near the quality of a Full English, but considering the lack of "proper" cooking facilities in the galley, I thought it was rather good.

Apparently the Mini Grill has gone on the Euston services. I don't know what's replaced it as I always avoid the 'breakfast' Voyagers.

The Mini Grill went on the Birmingham-Scotland services a while back, being replaced with hot bacon or sausage baguettes. Not bad, but not worth waiting for. The offer may have changed in recent weeks.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks for your reply ALR.

Edit: VT have indeed changed the timetable, to show the shading..

I'm sure they have a different version of the new timetable on the website a few weeks ago, as apposed to the final version.

Crossover

Established Member
oversteer:1295141 said:
So why can cheese and biscuits fit on a Pendolino but not a Super Voyager :D

Maybe because they can't be compacted down by vacuum packing? :P <D

AJW

Caught the 17:30 from Glasgow to Crewe. Had a glass of wine, turkey rissole with roast vegetables, cheese and biscuits, a mince pie, a glass of port and a chocolate all washed down with a cup of tea.

Although the rissole was disappointing, for £33.65 (advance with senior railcard) the journey was an enjoyable bargin.

P.S. The catering crewe changed at Preston and before Crewe I was offered sandwiches and drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.