• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Employee Travel Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydro

Established Member
I solved the problem of travelling for free as a non-safeguarded staff member by having my own private train. Unfortunately I can only travel where they say I can....and when...and by what route.... during my working hours.

It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anonymous0101

Are you telling me that you'd be happy shelling out money for something that other people get for nothing (despite not being entitled to it)?

Its not your business whether or not they are entitled to it (free travel). Its down to the employers of the train operating company to enforce.

Next you'll be saying that the priv rate tickets should be withdrawn altogether and that rail staff should pay the fare like everyone else! :roll:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Its not your business whether or not they are entitled to it (free travel). Its down to the employers of the train operating company to enforce.

Next you'll be saying that the priv rate tickets should be withdrawn altogether and that rail staff should pay the fare like everyone else! :roll:

Thank you for providing a better example of the arrogance I was on about than I could have written

anonymous0101

Thank you for providing a better example of the arrogance I was on about than I could have written

Its not arrogance. Its "i've got better things to do with my time than pushing my nose into other peoples business"

tbtc

Veteran Member
It's not arrogance, it's a fact. It's not yours to decide.

:lol:

The railway professionals who think the rules don't apply to them?

The "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, and to hell with the rulebook" mentality?

I'd call that arrogance. In other industries, that'd be dismissal, let's not forget.

Established Member

So, if they don't check tickets on a particular service, clearly that must mean it's ok for me to travel without paying, as they're not enforcing it.

scotsman

Established Member
:lol:

The railway professionals who think the rules don't apply to them?

The "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours, and to hell with the rulebook" mentality?

I'd call that arrogance. In other industries, that'd be dismissal, let's not forget.

No. I'm not a railway professional, I'm a bloody amateur! As far as I am aware, you do not decide whether Staff get travel concessions or not. That is a simple fact. I'm not making a judgement against yourself.

anonymous0101

So, if they don't check tickets on a particular service, clearly that must mean it's ok for me to travel without paying, as they're not enforcing it.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying its not your business as to who has or hasn't paid the correct fare for their journey unless you are employed by the TOC to do that job.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member

tbtc you must be one of the most bitter people I have seen in this forum you obviously hate most railway personnel so why do you bother on a rail forum, maybe you should think about having a go at other emplyees bus drivers maybe??? pssst. by the way most Bus Drivers do the same as most railway staff regarding travel so why don't you get on your Moral high horse once again and start having a go at them!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Lets not go into bus drivers, I have seen them trying to get free travel on the railway because "they work for the same company", as if we would go free on the buses. I've actually had to tell some that Northern isn't First Group anymore, so even if they had an agreement through First, they don't anymore because they are not the same company now!

tbtc

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware, you do not decide whether Staff get travel concessions or not. That is a simple fact

This is the point - Guards are not to "decide whether Staff get travel concessions" - there are clear rules about it. Yes, you get a certain number of "Priv" trips in your contract, but anything beyond that is abusing the system.

Funny how Guards are so keen to use the rule book to defend their actions (or the fact they won't do certain things), yet willing turn a blind eye when it comes to letting their mates get freebies. Can you imagine if bar staff let their mates have free drinks all night?

Yet again, some people working on the railways seem divorced from the Real World

scotsman

Established Member
This is the point - Guards are not to "decide whether Staff get travel concessions" - there are clear rules about it. Yes, you get a certain number of "Priv" trips in your contract, but anything beyond that is abusing the system.
I wasn't denying that for a second, I was making the point that you literally cannot decide the rules concerning staff travel, as referred to earlier in the thread.

Yet again, some people working on the railways seem divorced from the Real World

Yet again, I point out that I am not a paid member of staff on the railways

Mr Spock

As far as I am aware all railway staff get travel perks which are at differing levels depending on companies and whether they are safe guarded or not and as far as I am concerned they should stick within the limits applicable to them.

If a guard feels that he wants to allow other rail staff to travel free then that is up to them although as far as I am concerned it is wrong and if not illegal then bordering on it.
Equally if a guard says no then that decision should be respected as everyone is entitled to say that if they wish.

My main objection is that some staff seem to think that they are entitled to travel free whenever and wherever thay want and to some extent put pressure on others to allow them to do this.

One excuse as to why they should be allowed this extra free travel is the fact that if the guard needed assistance in an emergency then they would be there to help as if saying that they would not help if they had to pay. If that is the case not only are they unprofessional they are also sad people.

As for Northern Guards complaint about elitism from express guards then this must have been going on for years as I believe in the 60's the grade was changed to guards (freight), conductors (local passenger) and senior conductors (express passenger).

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As far as I am aware all railway staff get travel perks which are at differing levels depending on companies and whether they are safe guarded or not and as far as I am concerned they should stick within the limits applicable to them.

If a guard feels that he wants to allow other rail staff to travel free then that is up to them although as far as I am concerned it is wrong and if not illegal then bordering on it.
Equally if a guard says no then that decision should be respected as everyone is entitled to say that if they wish.

My main objection is that some staff seem to think that they are entitled to travel free whenever and wherever thay want and to some extent put pressure on others to allow them to do this.

One excuse as to why they should be allowed this extra free travel is the fact that if the guard needed assistance in an emergency then they would be there to help as if saying that they would not help if they had to pay. If that is the case not only are they unprofessional they are also sad people.

As for Northern Guards complaint about elitism from express guards then this must have been going on for years as I believe in the 60's the grade was changed to guards (freight), conductors (local passenger) and senior conductors (express passenger).

I work for a Railway Company and get............................. nothing:cry:

tony_mac

Established Member
If a guard feels that he wants to allow other rail staff to travel free then that is up to them
The NRCoC say something different....
If you travel in a train:
without a ticket
you will be liable to pay the full single fare or full return fare

A Train Company’s staff or agents have no authority to waive or change these Conditions.
although as far as I am concerned it is wrong and if not illegal then bordering on it.
It's not a breach of the byelaws, but may be a breach of the Regulation of Railways Act. (Travelling with intent to avoid payment)

Mr Spock

I work for a Railway Company and get............................. nothing:cry:

I am presuming that you work for a non passenger company (Network rail, DBS, etc.), if so perhaps I should have worded my posting better.

Legzr1

Are you telling me that you'd be happy shelling out money for something that other people get for nothing (despite not being entitled to it)?

YOU travel on a train - YOU pay the price of the ticket - YOU get to your destination.

Anything else is none of your concern.

Every shop I go to,every pub I visit and everywhere I go that is selling something - the staff could well be getting it free/cheaper.

Do I shout and whinge like a spoilt brat?

Of course not - if I agree with the price I buy,if I don't I don't.

Simples,eek.

(Well,simple to anyone who can mind their own business)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am presuming that you work for a non passenger company (Network rail, DBS, etc.), if so perhaps I should have worded my posting better.

I do - the passenger staff get some good perks ob travel. I am not complianing Iam happy to have the job i have, but a free pass would be a nice bonus however! :lol:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The NRCoC say something different....

It's not a breach of the byelaws, but may be a breach of the Regulation of Railways Act. (Travelling with intent to avoid payment)

I'm not sure the NCoC apply to staff passes.

And as you say it is not against the railway byelaws.

Railway Byelaws said:
17. Compulsory Ticket Areas

(1) No person shall enter a compulsory ticket area on the railway unless he has with him a valid ticket.

(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do soby an authorised person.

(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 17 (1) ands (2) if:

(i) there were no facilities in working order for the issue or validaation of any ticket at the time when, and the station where he began his journey; or

(ii) there was a notice at the station where he began his journey permitting journeys to be started without a valid ticket; or

(iii) an authorised person gave him permission to travel without a valid ticket.

18. Ticketless travel in a non-compulsory ticket area.

(1) In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter any train for teh purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a valid ticket entitling him to travel.

(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do soby an authorised person.

(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 18 (1) ands (2) if:

(i) there were no facilities in working order for the issue or validaation of any ticket at the time when, and the station where he began his journey; or

(ii) there was a notice at the station where he began his journey permitting journeys to be started without a valid ticket; or

(iii) an authorised person gave him permission to travel without a valid ticket.

19. Classes of accomodation, reserved seats and sleeping berths.

Except with permission from an authorised person, no person shall remain in any seat, berth or any part of the a train where a notice indicates that it is reserved for a specific ticket holder or holders of tickets of a specific class, except the holder of a valid ticket entitling him to be in that particular place.

tbtc

Veteran Member
YOU travel on a train - YOU pay the price of the ticket - YOU get to your destination.

Every shop I go to,every pub I visit and everywhere I go that is selling something - the staff could well be getting it free/cheaper.

Simples,eek.

I've obviously touched a nerve here :lol:

I just find it strange how certain Guards are very good at adhering to "the book" when they want to (the amount of times I've heard "I don't make the rules" as justification on trains) yet will willingly flaunt the rules to give their mates a free trip.

I've no problem with any free travel that staff (or their families) are entitled to - that's in their contracts after all. However, the ad-hoc bending of the rules is unprofessional and symptomatic of the "I know best" mentality that some people have.

If you go to shops where employees are deliberately only charging who they want to and turning a blind eye to others, you'd expect them to be disciplined. It's not for them to decide whether to charge or not.

What's also strange is that it wasn't long ago that Guards were threatening to strike because they weren't making enough commission (due to introduction of ticket barriers). Funny how desperate they are to make money from some passengers, whilst letting others ride for free. All about who your mates are, eh?

theblackwatch

Established Member
(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 18 (1) ands (2) if:

Are guards authorised to let other staff travel for free? I would assume this must be documented somewhere if they are. And also, what applies to women! :|

Mr Spock

I do - the passenger staff get some good perks ob travel. I am not complianing Iam happy to have the job i have, but a free pass would be a nice bonus however! :lol:

Glad you like your job and sorry that you get no free travel, I am fortunate to have some and make the most of it (within the rules of course).

ukrob

Established Member

Simples,eek.

I didn't think pubs and supermarkets got a subsidy from the Government? ;)

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Are guards authorised to let other staff travel for free? I would assume this must be documented somewhere if they are. And also, what applies to women! :|

Railway Byelaws said:
25. Interpretation.

(1) Definitions.

In these byelaws the following expressions have the following meanings:

An "Authorised person" means
(i) a person acting in the course of his duties who:

(a) is an employee or agent of an Operator, or

(b) any other person authorised by an operator

(ii) any constable, acting in the execution of his duties upon or in connection with the railway

(4) Gender
Unless the context requires to the contrary, words importing one gender shall include the other gender.

;)

Striker

I've no problem with any free travel that staff (or their families) are entitled to - that's in their contracts after all. However, the ad-hoc bending of the rules is unprofessional and symptomatic of the "I know best" mentality that some people have.

+1

I believe you when you say you have no problem with staff getting what's entitled to them as written in their contract.

anonymous0101

Simples,eek.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
+1

I believe you when you say you have no problem with staff getting what's entitled to them as written in their contract.

Yes but how does he know whats written in their contract? And in any case their contract is none of his business!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If you get free (personal) rail travel in your contract or you are a protected employee good luck to you. I dont - it would be nice but it aint going to happen - so i just get on with it.

The one point i would make is that it doesnt look good for "The Railway" when staff travel by car becuase it is cheaper. Not good PR! (Oh and if i had a £1 every time someone said you work on the railway you must get free travel you lucky so and so" i could afford to travel frist class everywhere.)

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
For a start Network Rail staff etc. should get free travel, why not they are Railway. How many of the people on this forum who are having a go at Guards (including myself) are actually railway?? i'm willing to bet not many are, now i'm sorry the world isn't a perfect place and we have 30yo trains etc. but if I can help out my colleagues I will do and the only day I will apologise for that is when hell freezes over (this week has come close tho), yes fares are too high all guards are s***e etc etc but you know what I don't care!, to help a fellow human being out is good enough for me and if it puts a few noses out of joint so be it! I think i'll pop into asda as I feel I deserve the 10% discount (even tho I usually shop at Tesco's) (even tho I have never worked for Asda in my entire life but really really want to!0 (no sarcasm intended there guv..honest!)

Striker

Yes but how does he know whats written in their contract? And in any case their contract is none of his business!

He doesn't have to know what's in their contract. He's just saying that in theory he has no problem with staff using their contracted perks but if staff were getting free travel they weren't entitled to, then that's the issue. Whether he knows what's in their contracts or not is irrelevant. :roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For a start Network Rail staff etc. should get free travel, why not they are Railway. How many of the people on this forum who are having a go at Guards (including myself) are actually railway?? i'm willing to bet not many are, now i'm sorry the world isn't a perfect place and we have 30yo trains etc. but if I can help out my colleagues I will do and the only day I will apologise for that is when hell freezes over (this week has come close tho), yes fares are too high all guards are s***e etc etc but you know what I don't care!, to help a fellow human being out is good enough for me and if it puts a few noses out of joint so be it! I think i'll pop into asda as I feel I deserve the 10% discount (even tho I usually shop at Tesco's) (even tho I have never worked for Asda in my entire life but really really want to!0 (no sarcasm intended there guv..honest!)

You're completely missing the point, for God's sake!! Your analogy with walking into Asda to get a 10% discount that employees are entitled to is not the same as staff getting free travel that they're NOT entitiled to. Nobody has a problem with staff getting free travel if it's in their contract and they're entitled to. Why is this so difficult to understand? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.