• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Seat Reservation Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
Yes. The system is in disorder; people are confused. A classic definition of chaos.
Yes. I am not doing it willingly.
Stand?
What do you think thousands of passengers are doing on trains every day of the week? Standing.
What other passengers are doing on other trains is their problem, not mine.

You are entitled to your opinions. Normally I respect them but in this instance I disagree. Strongly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The funny thing with seat reservations is that when I put the labels on the seats lots of people don't sit in those seats either because they haven't turned up or they have sat somewhere else. If for some reason I don't have the labels to put out then everyone decides they MUST sit in their reserved seat come what may, even if there are plenty of empty seats elsewhere, and then will proceed to argue with all and sundry about the matter.

BigVern

I'm sorry but in 2011 'the reservation system isn't working' or 'reservations haven't been properly downloaded' is unacceptable on long distance trains.

It's not a reason to cancel the train on safety grounds, but it must rank alongside non-working toilets, from a customer service angle.

It is a question of priorities - clearly TOCs with on-board computerised reservations think it is OK for it to fail now and again.

I think they should spend money on fixing the process, and face fines if they send trains out with this defect.

Could that work?

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm sorry but in 2011 'the reservation system isn't working' or 'reservations haven't been properly downloaded' is unacceptable on long distance trains.

Some people don't like the alternative systems used in Europe. Renfe don't put out seat reservation tickets on long distance services because everyone should have a seat reservation, you either get one when you buy your ticket or you ask for one when you arrive at the station. Wouldn't work here because ticket office hours are too short. However, when I asked a question about how the seat reservation system worked in Spain before going there, most of the replies to the question were people moaning about it.

IainH

"Some people don't like the alternative systems used in Europe. "

When you get on a TGV, there are no reservations out, as they are mandatory. But you can get one from a machine, even a few minutes before it leaves, and at intermediate stations as well. Its non chaotic.

What we have got here is an indefensible position, in that what should be a rare exception - no reservations out - is a regular occurrence. So I agree little else can be done in the circumstances***, but the circumstances arise far too regularly to believe they are being properly dealt with by the TOCs.

There is another Virgin variant on this - regularly seen at Euston - where the reservation signs are blank from the first people to board until a few minutes before departure -resulting in people having to shuffle around after they have settled in. (usually full fare payers).

Remember also NRCoC condition 41 - you can get a refund of the fee, as this is usually zero not very helpful, and 42 entitles you to compensation if no equivalent accommodation is provided (up to the value of a single). Its not clear what compensation applies if you spend a journey seat hopping, but you would certainly expect something if you had to stand for all or part of the journey.

***Edit - although on Cross Country I have sometimes seen reservation tickets printed out from the ticket machine being used when the electronic system has failed

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It is a question of priorities - clearly TOCs with on-board computerised reservations think it is OK for it to fail now and again.

I think they should spend money on fixing the process, and face fines if they send trains out with this defect.

Could that work?

No. A lot of effort is put into fixing the process already. TOCs being fined for not honouring reservations would be passed on to the customer, or result in trains not offering reservations at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.