• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin/TPE seat allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornedrum

Hi all, just joined.
I have searched this site for answers, but still don't full understand any of this.....

Been travelling Glasgow Central to Manchester Piccadilly all summer, booking through Virgin website, 'advance' tickets 100% of the time.
I have always had seats reserved at the time of booking.
Today I booked for November 8th-10th and all I received at the time of booking was "Reserved. No seat allocated".
Virgin say they can't book seats on other people's line (transpenine express) but they have been doing just this every time I booked over the last 2/3 months.

Any ideas as to why it would suddenly changed?
Are these routes more busy outside of summer and there are just no seats left, or some other reason?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If they've released counted places without seats, it is probably a temporary measure because they don't know what rolling stock they will be using on those services in that sort of time window, it could be the new CAF EMUs or 185s (but not 350s as LNR will be getting them regardless of whether TPE have finished with them or not).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Reserved seating has indeed been suspended for a period of several months from this autumn during the rolling stock transition, with the exception of wheelchair and companion spaces.
Virgin say they can't book seats on other people's line (transpenine express)
They definitely totally made that up.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reserved seating has indeed been suspended for a period of several months from this autumn during the rolling stock transition, with the exception of wheelchair and companion spaces.

It will be interesting, as an aside, to see what effect this has on speed of boarding at busy stations like Manc Picc P14.

hornedrum

Excuse my newb nativity, what does 'rolling stock transition' mean exactly?
New carriages and the booking system has not been updated yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.