• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

virgin trains apprentice drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

red2005

Not sure whether anyone on here has any young relatives that may be interested in this opportunity. It's a 2 year scheme then straight to driver training.

Not sure if it's on the website I spotted it on the indeed app. Feel free to post the add if anyone spots it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
Will they sit the psychometric tests as part of the application? If so I imagine most of the target audience for apprenticeships will struggle, particularly with the MMI as they won't have much experience to draw on.

Alternatively, they could just mean you will get the opportunity to sit the tests at the end of the apprenticeship, and will only go on to driver training if you pass.

Andy-mc

Will they sit the psychometric tests as part of the application? If so I imagine most of the target audience for apprenticeships will struggle, particularly with the MMI as they won't have much experience to draw on.

Alternatively, they could just mean you will get the opportunity to sit the tests at the end of the apprenticeship, and will only go on to driver training if you pass.

I would have thought they would have to as there would be no point in hiring someone on an apprenticeship if there's a chance they won't be able to qualify in the end

MMI won't be an issue as everyone has experience dealing with a difficult situation for example. It could be as basic as having to prepare for an exam at school, you don't have to of witnessed a fire or anything, they just want to see how you have coped under pressure and things like that, they won't have to wow anyone just show their personality.

red2005

I'd imagine that it wouldn't be the same sort of MMI if there is one as I'm sure asking the same questions to a kid that we have would almost be pointless.

Yeah I reckon that there's no reason that they wouldn't do the rest of the psychometric tests.....youngster/apprentice or not if the end game is a full drivers course the same skills in relation to concentration etc will surely be required

E&W Lucas

Established Member

"Successful applicants will be required to demonstrate compliance with Rail Industry Standard for Train Driver Selection (RIS – 3751 – TOM) which includes passing the psychometric assessment process and successful completion of a safety critical medical."

Interesting paragraph about confidentiality in the advert too.

Aivilo

I spotted this myself. Although apprenticeships are generally 16-24 I see nothing on age

Economist

All due respect to Virgin but the salary seems very low for a trainee driver, most places in the north-west you'd probably add between £6k-£7k onto that, in London, more like £10k.

Definitely see the younger folk staying with family applying for this, not sure about those who already have an established career.

Darandio

Established Member
All due respect to Virgin but the salary seems very low for a trainee driver, most places in the north-west you'd probably add between £6k-£7k onto that, in London, more like £10k.

Definitely see the younger folk staying with family applying for this, not sure about those who already have an established career.

You mean the £15k? Isn't that not for the apprenticeship? The actual position isn't for a trainee driver.

Class 92

Isn't the minimum age to be a driver 20/21? As no minimum age is shown and whilst it's something I'd quite like to go for, surely there must be some lower age restriction which, more than likely, would rule me out? Googling 'Rail Services Apprenticeship' which is part of the apprenticeship being offered by VT shows the minimum age as being 16 for that type of apprenticeship, so does that mean I am old enough to apply? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rail-services-apprenticeships

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
As no minimum age is shown and whilst it's something I'd quite like to go for, surely there must be some lower age restriction which, more than likely, would rule me out?

There is, it's 18. Look under 'Requirements and prospects'.

Class 92

I thought that just applied to people who are over 18? Similar to an engineering apprenticeship where people aged 16-17 can't work nights but are still able to apply.

falcon

Virgin just testing the water.It will not lead to anything. Waste of peoples time.:roll:

leomartin125

Even if you were 18, as I am, this is certainly not the way to become a driver. The chances of you starting any training until you are 21 is almost impossibly low, and this seems ridiculous to me. Don't know where this has come from but if it wasn't on a .gov website, I wouldn't say its legit at all...

red2005

Virgin just testing the water.It will not lead to anything. Waste of peoples time.:roll:

Sorry but that's just absolute rubbish.....This is a potential driving position advert to what could be teenagers!......They don't need to test the water.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Even if you were 18, as I am, this is certainly not the way to become a driver. The chances of you starting any training until you are 21 is almost impossibly low, and this seems ridiculous to me. Don't know where this has come from but if it wasn't on a .gov website, I wouldn't say its legit at all...

It was on the indeed website when I spotted it......thE same website I spotted the driving position I've filled for the past 2 and a half years.

Just looked it's advertised on the "Gov.co.uk" website.

What is the "way to become a driver"? Ask the people on here who've been trying for years to get a driving job if they wouldn't take the chance if it was on offer.

I've never seen a set in stone way to become a driver yet.....many different people take many different routes to get there. I can't see any harm in this at all and I'm quite shocked at how cynical you are.

But like I say it's advertised in the exact place you've said......so I'd say it's pretty legit,wouldn't you?

Darandio

Established Member
I can't see any harm in this at all and I'm quite shocked at how cynical you are.

Me too, and I'm actually wondering whether some people actually know what an apprenticeship is?

It's a fantastic opportunity for someone.

Last edited:

tlionhart

The scheme is offered to 3 lucky candidates who are aged 18yr +
It's a great insight to anyone looking to make the railway a career. They will work in various roles and some operational areas. Hence the data protection disclaimer. Also it's prob in place to pre-warn potentials that the role isn't for someone to find out juicy corporate plans and then plant it on Rail Forums or facebook.
They have to do a Psychometric test. When they have to do the tests, is not clear.
The 2yrs training sounds about right with Virgin Trains for a Trainee (it could be less and the 2yrs is Virgins way of saying they hope the Driver will be competent by then) as a Qualified Driver is around a year. I think it's a fab opportunity for anyone who is successful.

Scuba2208

I'm delighted that Virgin are being so proactive in driver training / recruitment at the moment. Whilst there is no way that I could apply (£15k far too low a salary for my mortgage!), it truly is a wonderful opportunity for 3 lucky people.

Best of luck to whoever gets it! I'll keep a glimmer of hope going for my application with VTEC meantime...

tlionhart

For someone who is 18, that is not a bad salary, considering their mates are in University earning pocket money in weekend/odd jobs with no guarantee of their career at the end.
(Although there is no guarantee of being a Driver either for many reasons, this post helps put youngsters in the right direction) At least it should be a positive way to recruit someone who actually wants to be on the railway doing the job

Last edited:

Belgarion

For someone who is 18, that is not a bad salary, considering their mates are in University earning pocket money in weekend/odd jobs with no guarantee of their career at the end.
(Although there is no guarantee of being a Driver either for many reasons, this post helps put youngsters in the right direction) At least it should be a positive way to recruit someone who actually wants to be on the railway doing the job

Totally agree

red2005

Me too, and I'm actually wondering whether some people actually know what an apprenticeship is?

It's a fantastic opportunity for someone.

Definitely makes you wonder.

Apprenticeships aren't there so you instantly become the finished product. They're there so you can learn something over an extensive period of time at a young age and get a good head start.

How on earth this can be seen as anything other than a good thing is a mystery to me. Look at all the great engineers, tool makers, ship builders, welders, electricians,roofers, brickies etc etc etc that have come through the apprenticeship scheme. There's no reason it can't produce good train drivers as well.

You could arguably say they'd even have a better standard of training and a better rounded knowledge of the industry and role than someone that's seen the ££££ on the Internet. ....come straight off the street and done 12 months training then been let loose with hundreds of passengers etc.

I think it's a great idea and hats off to Virgin for doing it.

Mulberry2016

This is a fantastic opportunity for a college leaver. Those first two years will be spent learning the Virgin way of doing things and getting to know all aspects of the railway industry from train dispatch to customer service, before going on to full driver training. At the end of it, Virgin will have 3 first class drivers with an unrivalled knowledge of all Virgin operations, that I have no doubt.

Last edited:

8J

This is a fantastic opportunity for a college leaver. Those first two years will be spent learning the Virgin way of doing things and getting to know all aspects of the railway industry from train dispatch to customer service, before going on to full driver training. At the end of it, Virgin will have 3 first class drivers with an unrivalled knowledge of all Virgin operations, that I have no doubt.

Just in time for the franchise to be handed over to someone else!!! :D

dcsprior

This is a fantastic opportunity for a college leaver.

Not disagreeing that this could be a good opportunity, but surely being an apprenticeship it's targeted at school leavers rather than college leavers?

My employer has ran a number of apprenticeship schemes at various levels (including some that lead to a degree) and in various different disciplines, but all have asked for either GCSEs or A Levels (or equivalent) not college qualifications.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Aivilo

You will find there is no restriction on who can apply so long as you are atleast 18 years old so that puts school leavers put of it unless kids are staying in school longer these days

red2005

Just in time for the franchise to be handed over to someone else!!! :D

Who cares?

That's 3 young adults who would of worked their socks off in the apprenticeship scheme with the end result one of the best jobs there is.....I'm pretty sure that they won't give a shiny turd what colour their new uniform is.
Not disagreeing that this could be a good opportunity, but surely being an apprenticeship it's targeted at school leavers rather than college leavers?

My employer has ran a number of apprenticeship schemes at various levels (including some that lead to a degree) and in various different disciplines, but all have asked for either GCSEs or A Levels (or equivalent) not college qualifications.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

You've got to take into account that you have to be 21 to drive a train in this country. If the particular apprenticeship scheme virgin use is for 3 years it's no good taking on a 16 year old as they'd still be too young at the end of the scheme.

Not sure on the age restrictions surrounding apprenticeship schemes nowadays but it certainly looks like Virgins falls within the accepted parameters.

Sajerz

I wish their advertisement was a bit more clear cut on who was eligible. I have a university education so I presume this would rule me out like most other apprenticeships. Still, an amazing opportunity for someone.

dinino345

I wish their advertisement was a bit more clear cut on who was eligible. I have a university education so I presume this would rule me out like most other apprenticeships. Still, an amazing opportunity for someone.

Not necessarily I am in the same boat as Im a postgraduate and sent in an application recently for the Liverpool apprenticeship and they got back to me to further progress my application. Ive just taken my online tests and awaiting my results ...as mentioned before they did not specify much on who is eligible.

westbrom

My lad passed all the online tests and was over moon until he read that he had to live within an hour from Liverpool,Manchester or Preston,I think those locations should have been mentioned in the job advert.

Status
Not open for further replies.