Virgin Trains between Birmingham and Scotland

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by Aictos, 12 Aug 2019.

1. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Virgin Trains have stated to me that those services can be busy does anyone know how busy they can get in standard class especially first thing Monday morning going north? Looking at leaving Birmingham between 5am and 7am

Also are the VTs that start from Birmingham in the morning 9 or 11 coaches?

It would be mid September so not a busy period I think?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

I don’t know for definite but if you’re getting on in Birmingham and the train starts there then I reckon you’ll get a seat 99% of the time. It’ll certainly be more pleasant than doing the journey on a Sunday afternoon when trains are usually very busy.
    Not sure about train length in Glasgow but I think Edinburgh can only take 9-car trains.

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

11 cars definitely run to Edinburgh (and 10-car Voyagers).

5. scotrail158713

scotrail158713 Member

Yeah you’re right. I’m not sure what I was thinking when I posted that - the 16(?)-car Sleeper splits there after all.

6. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

I’m probably going to get on at either Birmingham or Wolverhampton, I know it gets to Scotland mid morning too.

Just wasn’t sure how busy the weekday morning services are towards Scotland?

7. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

There tends to be a decent number of "cheap" 1st class tickets sold for the service , albeit the slower way to Scotland .....

8. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Oh I'm not fussed with going 1st Class not this time anyway, the other thing I wanted to ask is what's the wifi like on this route?

I do have the option of Three and EE but if the wifi is there, I'm happy to just use that.

9. iainbhx

iainbhx Member

I commute on the 07:15 New Street to Glasgow as far as Crewe - on average three days a week, including Mondays. You'll have no problem getting a seat, I can't remember the last time I didn't get a table at New Street. I understand it starts to fill up at Crewe.

The WiFi is much better on the Pendolindos now (but still not as good as LNR's) and is free, if you get a Voyager service it is still paid for and it is still awful.

10. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Cool thank you, I only use the WiFi to use Tracksy or OTT so not much data used.

I’ve booked a seat anyway but it’s still good to know how busy the services are.

11. route101

route101 Established Member

Signal can be iffy north of Preston , due to the hills .

12. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I've had more luck with an iPad Air 2 on EE shoved up in the luggage rack with personal hotspot enabled. VTWC wifi is rubbish.

13. takno

takno Established Member

Not sure I've ever used the wifi. Mobile signals are absolutely terrible from about Stafford to Preston, and then somewhat patchy from there.