• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains EC 1Y44 breakdown (13/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

Just seen on Twitter that the 1st Thunderbird broke down and another has had to be called presumably from Doncaster?

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
I would guess that it would have gone straight to Bounds Green from Stevenage, where it terminated. If they followed usual convention, I would expect it to have run as 5Y11

Does anyone know if this was a HST as looking at other dates, this set may then go on to work the Sunderland service?

Established Member
I would guess that it would have gone straight to Bounds Green from Stevenage, where it terminated. If they followed usual convention, I would expect it to have run as 5Y11

Does anyone know if this was a HST as looking at other dates, this set may then go on to work the Sunderland service?

It was a Mk4 set.

On Moderation

Normal procedure is for failed VTEC HSTs to go to Neville Hill or Craigentinny and Mark 4 sets to go to Bounds Green. In other words, sets go to where the expertise is on that train type.

gavin

1D33 2135 London Kings Cross to Leeds had to be rescued by Thunderbird it must have had a fault for a while as it started losing time from Finsbury Park before eventually giving up between Adwick Jn & South Kirkby Jn originally due into Leeds at 00:08 it finally arrive at 02:53 around 33 minutes after the 23:30 departure from Kings Cross arrived into Leeds

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y60132/2017/07/14/advanced

godfreycomplex

Established Member
1D33 2135 London Kings Cross to Leeds had to be rescued by Thunderbird it must have had a fault for a while as it started losing time from Finsbury Park before eventually giving up between Adwick Jn & South Kirkby Jn originally due into Leeds at 00:08 it finally arrive at 02:53 around 33 minutes after the 23:30 departure from Kings Cross arrived into Leeds

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y60132/2017/07/14/advanced

Indeed. Sat down at Frickley Beck (about a mile London side of South Elmsall) at about 00:15. 1Z99 (the Thunderbird) left Donny at about 01:00; suggesting the driver tried to restart the failed train; but the problem was fairly terminal.
The failed train didn't get going until about 02:20 for reasons unclear (I think there may have been some trouble getting the Thunderbird to the front of the train but I'm not sure).
Deep joy....

Adam0984

I'd imagine that the thunderbird would have had to go via Hambleton to get to the front of the train then use the main to main crossover at South Kirby Jcn to get on the front to pull it to Leeds

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I'd imagine that the thunderbird would have had to go via Hambleton to get to the front of the train then use the main to main crossover at South Kirby Jcn to get on the front to pull it to Leeds

It went via Adwick at first; although the headcode mysteriously disappeared at Carcroft junction and the train started moving an hour and a half later so it must have got to the front somehow.
Hambleton would be more logical; so there must have been some reason it couldn't go that way

Adam0984

It went via Adwick at first; although the headcode mysteriously disappeared at Carcroft junction and the train started moving an hour and a half later so it must have got to the front somehow.
Hambleton would be more logical; so there must have been some reason it couldn't go that way

Must have gone wrong Road from Adwick to South Kirkby crossover and onto the front then

D365

Veteran Member
Try reading through the thread:roll:

Thankfully I did not have to travel by train yesterday, but in the past when I've been delayed on East Coast services you've often made unhelpful remarks, whilst I was concerned with actually finding out when the situation would be resolved.

jonhewes

Out of interest, why was it deemed necessary to detrain the passengers and run ECS to Bounds Green? Kings Cross is less than 6 miles away!

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
Out of interest, why was it deemed necessary to detrain the passengers and run ECS to Bounds Green? Kings Cross is less than 6 miles away!

because if the set is buggered, taking it into KX would require an extra loco, two reversals and potentially a run round move to get it into Bounds Green for repair. Whereas if you detrain at Stevenage/Peterborough, you can run round the Hertford loop and straight into Bounds Green from the north without having to reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.