• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains on Platforms 13/14 at Piccadilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please move if in wrong forum.

Does anyone know why Virgin Trains are stopping at Platforms 13 and 14 at Manchester Piccadilly now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter150

VTWC added Glasgow onto the end of a Manchester train, due to renewal of junction are Acton Grange. Trains then ran on line from Manchester to Wigan before rejoining WCML. Out of interest, was it operated by a 221? If so, I would presume it was a double set?

sufian123

VTWC added Glasgow onto the end of a Manchester train, due to renewal of junction are Acton Grange. Trains then ran on line from Manchester to Wigan before rejoining WCML. Out of interest, was it operated by a 221? If so, I would presume it was a double set?

Double set is 1830 Euston-Glasgow via Manchester.

Craig2601

Am I right in thinking that you can’t board the virgin train at Piccadilly?

gnolife

Established Member
Thanks

When I looked out of interest during the works on National Rail Enquires, only TPE trains were showing for MAN - GLC.
They don't pick up at Piccadilly, so won't show on NRE if you search for a journey from there - if you search Stockport to Glasgow, they do show up

Andyh82

Established Member
How on earth are 13/14 coping with the number of passengers, especially as I’m guessing the Virgin Train might extend to the usually unused ends of each platform?

MDB1images

How on earth are 13/14 coping with the number of passengers, especially as I’m guessing the Virgin Train might extend to the usually unused ends of each platform?

Plenty of additional platform assistants helping manage the platform pre arrival to London on Plat 13.
Plat 14 is set down only so just people heading off the train.

southbound pickup only
northbound setdown only

Plenty of additional platform assistants helping manage the platform pre arrival to London on Plat 13.
Just out of interest:

Related to a conversation on the overcrowded train thread (I think)...

Has there been many passengers getting off the Southbounders? Taking advantage of the knowledge of the Picadilly stop being 'pick up only'.

Peter0124

Established Member
I just alighted at Manchester Piccadilly P13 on a GLC to EUS service and there were no problems at all

Established Member
The voyager swap this evening at Manchester Piccadilly is 221117 and 221116 heading north both set down and pick up due to delays on TPE services. On southbound was 221106? and 221111. I have a picture of them side by side but apparently it's to large to upload.

_toommm_

Established Member
The voyager swap this evening at Manchester Piccadilly is 221117 and 221116 heading north both set down and pick up due to delays on TPE services. On southbound was 221106? and 221111. I have a picture of them side by side but apparently it's to large to upload.

Take a screenshot of the photo and upload that - it should bring it down to 1-2MB.

Established Member
Take a screenshot of the photo and upload that - it should bring it down to 1-2MB.
It worked. Thank you. Not the best of photos but the two 221's at Manchester Picadilly last night.
Screenshot_2019-08-01-08-52-15.jpg

geoffk

Established Member
Euston-bound trains at platform 13 are shown as next stop Wilmslow! I suppose there are so many alternatives for Stockport from the main station and they are trying to reduce the numbers waiting on 13.

They really do stick out whatever they are for.

It's potentially be answered previously - so apologies for goping at it again - but does anyone have an explination for the Red Lines?

_toommm_

Established Member
It's potentially be answered previously - so apologies for goping at it again - but does anyone have an explination for the Red Lines?

The theory behind them is to keep people safe on the platform to allow a bigger gap between the furthest point which one is allowed to stand on the platform, and the platform edge. The faded red line shows just how restrictive it used to be, but the newer red line shows an expansion of the area.

Personally, I don't quite understand it as in the normal timetable you get possibly one train an hour in each direction passing through non-stop. My argument is that there are more and more trains on P13/14 than ever, going to more destinations, and further destinations than before; so why we're packing people in a smaller area is unbeknownst to me. If your train arrives and you step forward to board, you get shouted at by the yellow army.

I could understand the lines somewhere down south, where a train could pass through a platform at up to 125mph, but at Piccadilly 13/14... nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.