• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worldwide

I am currently applying for a vacancy at VT. However I’m a little confused as it asks me for my employment history but further on it asks me to upload my CV is this correct. As surly I’ll just be repeating the information.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OneLowban

Many places do that I’ve noticed, I would just fill in both in case, wouldn’t want that little thing to effect my application.

Complete the application in full, the initial application sift is one of the biggest hurdles to get through.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I overheard talk at the depot of applications being binned for not having a CV.

red2005

Best way is to simply do as you’re asked and not complicate things really. If it asks for a covering letter do one if it doesn’t then don’t.

RJ

Established Member
I am currently applying for a vacancy at VT. However I’m a little confused as it asks me for my employment history but further on it asks me to upload my CV is this correct. As surly I’ll just be repeating the information.

Many thanks

Best way to get through to the next stage is to supply everything they ask for. A CV may not necessarily have all the information they require from the application form, but provides an opportunity for you to sell yourself.

Best way is to simply do as you’re asked and not complicate things really. If it asks for a covering letter do one if it doesn’t then don’t.

Its down to personal preference - I don't think supplying one would complicate matters in any way. Some TOC's ask for them and for others they are optional it seems, based on my own personal experience that is.

red2005

Its down to personal preference - I don't think supplying one would complicate matters in any way. Some TOC's ask for them and for others they are optional it seems, based on my own personal experience that is.

You’d be surprised what Toc’s will use to whittle down numbers In a recruitment campaign..... not following instructions is certainly one of them.

Most toc’s Who don’t require a covering letter wouldn’t provide the facility to attach one anyway..... like I say...... keep it simple, do as you’re asked and you’ll be fine.

Sometimes less is more.

Worldwide

Thanks.

I’ll add my CV just seems odd as it’s asking for my employment history prior.

I’m poised to apply just need to think of an answer regarding dealing with a crisis now :(

red2005

Thanks.

I’m poised to apply just need to think of an answer regarding dealing with a crisis now :(

I had to do that when I applied.....it’s just the way they do it.

You’d be surprised what Toc’s will use to whittle down numbers In a recruitment campaign..... not following instructions is certainly one of them.

Most toc’s Who don’t require a covering letter wouldn’t provide the facility to attach one anyway..... like I say...... keep it simple, do as you’re asked and you’ll be fine.

Sometimes less is more.

Sorry my post probably wasn't clear - what I meant was that if it is optional then I would provide one. As you say if they don't need one then they won't provide the facility to upload one, but my experience so far is that they seem to want them.

purplejonesy

As what's already been said.
Don't forget that the moment you start putting writing your application you are being tested. If they ask for a CV you supply a CV. It's all about following orders and to see if you can do what you are told. If it says write all in capitals then you do it, if it says write in black ink then you do that. So many applications don't make it past the initial sift because of small things like that.

red2005

Oh yes then totally!....... it’s fine margins where small things can make big differences when it comes to getting a job on the railway isn’t it, so adding a covering letter if the facility allows Is almost crucial.

I’d imagine that they’d definitely want one if there is the facility to attach it. It’s all about making the application as attractive as possible so adding one could be the edge over someone that doesn’t bother.

Worldwide

Well I’m all good to go now.

I’ve even managed to think of an answer with regards to dealing with a crisis lol

Just need to actually submit the application now.

Thinking about it how far back should you go with your employment history. I’ve been with my current employer 10 years.

Last edited:

Worldwide

Strange that! Just go as far as you can remember Hahahah

I’ll put my previous employer in and leave it at that, my other employment history will be on my CV if their interested. Someone’s recommending me aswell so fingers crossed.

Worldwide

After all that go to submit my application and I get this message.

Attachments

• CEEFBEBF-0F30-4CA5-A34E-C4BFFAEA3725.jpeg
    CEEFBEBF-0F30-4CA5-A34E-C4BFFAEA3725.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 43

amateur

On Moderation
Thanks.

You're dealing with a crisis now, by applying for this job

Status
Not open for further replies.