• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin trains sponsor Darlington Football club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I'm not baiting you.

Non-football followers are in my opinion unlikely to have heard of PNE. Even more so the further you get away from Preston.

Simple, the media coverage of the Premiership is an order of magnitude higher than that of the Championship. The only clubs who receive anything like Premiership coverage in the Championship are Leeds, Derby and Forest.

Yes, railway enthusiasts are highly likely to know about a major junction on the WCML. Outside of the railway world and Lancashire where it is the administrative centre, I think you'll find it's hardly known. I'm sorry if that doesn't fit comfortably with your view of the world.

What planet are you living on Iskra?

Ask any man, woman or child on the street the name of Preston's football club and 80% to 90% will say "North End". Indeed it would make a worthy question for inclusion in the Home office's "Life in the UK" test.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
What planet are you living on Iskra?

Ask any man, woman or child on the street the name of Preston's football club and 80% to 90% will say "North End". Indeed it would make a worthy question for inclusion in the Home office's "Life in the UK" test.

So you think non-football followers in say the South of England will have heard of Preston North End, who's only recent achievements are reaching the play-offs? You are aware that a lot of the population simply don't care about football?

Poolie

Can't understand why Virgin have chosen to sponser a team that plays in Bishop Auckland ;)

Scotty

So you think non-football followers in say the South of England will have heard of Preston North End, who's only recent achievements are reaching the play-offs? You are aware that a lot of the population simply don't care about football?

They are one of the more famous names in the history of English football - first Football League winners.

I don't care about operas and musicals, but I could name a few of them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The real club from Bradford!

The initial club was - this one is just a tribute club, that happens to now have the same name as the original club, that started in 1987.

Gemz91

They are one of the more famous names in the history of English football - first Football League winners.

I don't care about operas and musicals, but I could name a few of them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The initial club was - this one is just a tribute club, that happens to now have the same name as the original club, that started in 1987.

I'd disagree. Many of the supporters who follow the "tribute club" are people who supported Bradford (Park Avenue) before they went out of business in the 70's. In fact a Sunday League club was created in the 70's by many of the supporters, before the club reformed as the club we see playing today. I still consider it the same club as the one who played in the football league, as I'm sure all Bradford fans do too, as is reflected in Bradfords club house with the photos and memorabilia.

Suppose it depends on what you consider makes football club, is it the fans, or the registered business (apologies I feel I'm dragging this off topic now).

RichmondCommu

Established Member
But teams such as Swansea, Norwich or Bournmouth receive far more TV and media coverage then any club in League One does, because of the league they play in, and the interest in clubs who they pay.

However PNE are not in League 1!

Last edited:

Gemz91

But teams such as Swansea, Norwich or Bournmouth receive far more TV and media coverage then any club in League One does, because of the league they play in, and the interest in clubs who they pay. QUOTE]

However PNE are not in League 1!

Shush, I'll edit it and no one will ever know. Not sure what I was thinking when I put that, considering I'll be watching Leeds there at the weekend.

Scotty

I'd disagree. Many of the supporters who follow the "tribute club" are people who supported Bradford (Park Avenue) before they went out of business in the 70's. In fact a Sunday League club was created in the 70's by many of the supporters, before the club reformed as the club we see playing today. I still consider it the same club as the one who played in the football league, as I'm sure all Bradford fans do too, as is reflected in Bradfords club house with the photos and memorabilia.

Suppose it depends on what you consider makes football club, is it the fans, or the registered business (apologies I feel I'm dragging this off topic now).

You can pretend as much as you like, but it's a new club (just with the same fans, etc). Just like Chester, Nuneaton, Telford, etc.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I may have in the past indicated that the decision to sell the East Coast franchise to Virgin Trains, rather than continuing with the state owned, operated, successful and profitable DOR was in some way a tawdry piece of political dogma designed to disinherit the electorate of their rights for a knock down price, provide shareholders with further juicy dividends and directors with impressive emoluments.

I now realise this is inherently incorrect and that the sale of this franchise to Virgin Trains East Coast was in the best interests of both the country and the passengers of the East Coast route.

Can't understand why Virgin have chosen to sponser a team that plays in Bishop Auckland ;)

Not next season thanks to a £150 FSIF grant announced today. Darlo here we come ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.