• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Voyager fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
danannis said:
Just to let people know, a Virgin Voyager (221135) at around 15.00 caught fire at Newcastle Central today!!! Not a pritty site I tell you!

I'm happy to say it sounds like a very minor incident, especially if the 221 was able to limp away after, without assistance, or a massive wait?

I'm still concerned about the cooling system on 220/221s, and the sooner they get the fix, the better!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

As i said it definately limped under its own power back to Tyne Yard! that is all i actually saw of it! I found out because a driver had to stop at Mannors as he couldn't get in to Central. So anyone with the full story please add it into the thread by all means. Thank You.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Craig said:
It was just platforms 3 and 4 that were evacuated, and by all accounts it was a pretty minor fire (nothing much visible).

That was the second time in one day that those platforms were evacuated. The alarm was set off earlier in the day by engineers cutting up a rack with an angle grinder inside the exchange :roll:

This has been posted on Yahoo Groups V220. Original message copied & pasted, thanks to the person who posted it:

I have these facts from a reliable source :-

+++

" 221135 working 1O26 13:05 Edinburgh-Bournemouth was evacuated at
Newcastle
after it was noticed that the Resistor bank on top of coach C was on
fire.

The Station was not evacuated only the Train.

The wires were turned off to allow Fire Brigade to attend.

Fire extinguished when unit was shut down

Train taken into Forth sidings for fire brigade to view top of coach C
from
Redheugh Bridge.

Given the OK, the set was taken to Tyne Yard for fitter to examine
closer.

Large piece of wood (rough torn timber)was found impaled into the
resistors
and all insulating pots broken with safety cables holding resistor panel
down as they where meant to do.

Resistors removed in Tyne Yard and Train ran ECS to Central Rivers
later.

The resistors heat to 500C so it is no surprise that what was on them
burnt
even in pouring rain.

The question is how did this wood get there?

Another case of vandalism? "

(Ta Ken on NED)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
danannis said:
cheers voyagerdude, it probably was vandels, not very nice people

Although that's exactly what I said to the thought of vandalism, it's not certain, and as pointed out on Yahoo's VT group by another member, it could simply be foilage from a tree, or part of a tree/branch. Apparantly, around 40 years ago, Railtrack used to spend money on cutting trees etc, to reduce the foilage problem.

Tom B

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
Although that's exactly what I said to the thought of vandalism, it's not certain, and as pointed out on Yahoo's VT group by another member, it could simply be foilage from a tree, or part of a tree/branch. Apparantly, around 40 years ago, Railtrack used to spend money on cutting trees etc, to reduce the foilage problem.

!!

Yes, it was British Rail ;). They used to burn the cuttings and embankments to prevent wheelslip and other associated problems.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The main reasons BR used to keep cuttings clear were to prevent lineside fires and to prevent damage to overhead telecomunications cables. Lineside fires stopped being an issue with the end of steam and nearly all cables are underground (in troughs anyway), so they made the desision to stop clearing embankments. If you look at material up until the 70s (by then clearing had stopped some time, but things hadn't had chance to grow the same), and compare them to views today, one of the big differences is the amount of lineside vegitation. In some cases, you have views that would be impossible these days due to trees. Wheel Slip and leaves on the line are not new issues, but are increasingly a problem due to lack of sanding equipment on many trains since dieselisation, lightweight multiple units, and disk brakes (they don't clean the wheel treads like tread brakes do). Clearing of vegitation like with everything is so much more costly these days due to increased safety legislation, and there is a massive backlog, so it will take a long time to get back to steam day levels.

Table 52

Just an afterthought...

If you saw a Voyager on fire, would you **** on it?

Hmmm... key filtered word means 'wee wee'

Guinness

Established Member
According to a member of the VT Yahoo Group the unit involved in the fire was out today working the Paignton service.

devon_metro

Established Member
Chaz said:
According to a member of the VT Yahoo Group the unit involved in the fire was out today working the Paignton service.

Shove the crap on the premium Virgin service of the day ;) :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
If there wasn't much damage and they just needed to fit a new load of resistors it shouldn't take too long.

Probarbly nipped down to Maplin or something ;).

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
If there wasn't much damage and they just needed to fit a new load of resistors it shouldn't take too long.

Probarbly nipped down to Maplin or something ;).

*Person goes in shop for VT, looking for resistors*

Shopping List:
Resistors for 221 135

mmm.. I think (holding in hand ordinary sized resistors) these resistors are a bit too small for the 221.
I better go and ask that shop assistant.. "Excuse me, do you sell resistors, big enough for a real Virgin Voyager train? Yes, It tilts in some places" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.