Virgin West Coast Drivers Interview

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Set_DRA, 31 Jan 2019.

1. Set_DRA

Set_DRA Member

hello Guys and girls!

Been invited to a Drivers interview for Virgin next week.

Has anybody got any Info and tips for the day?

Been advised the days consists of group excerices, rules test and interview.

Thanks in advance

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. KAD

KAD Member

Hi

Same here. I received an attachment about non-technical skills to read through in preparation. Did you get the same?

4. Trainguy90

Trainguy90 Member

Can’t be sure it’ll be like this but I went to a group interview/assessment day years ago when I left school, They had us do a couple of activities like building a bridge out of paper and straws, then also a simple exercise where you had to get a tennis ball to pass through everyone’s hands in the quickest time. This is where they’ll be looking to test your non-technical skills like communication and problem solving.

The interview part will probably be your standard interview I would have thought with situational and rules based questions which you’ll probably only get to if you succeed in the group bit

Good luck

5. Set_DRA

Set_DRA Member

Certainly did yeah. I’m going to see if I can dig out some NTS stuff from a course I went on at my TOC. Got a feeling it was “filed” though LOL

6. Unknockable

Unknockable Member

Good luck, one day I’d love to drive on HS2. Currently applying for trainee roles so my journey hasn’t even begun yet :(

7. irish_rail

irish_rail Member

Hs2 won't be driven unfortunately it will be automated ( although there will no doubt be a bloke at the front incase things go wrong. ) . This is one of the reasons I would never apply for Virgin personally, the uncertainty caused by Hs2. No reason to think that Virgin drivers would drive it, will probably become "commuter" drivers once it opens , probably with more suitable stock, eg 350s.

8. Unknockable

Unknockable Member

Forgive my lack of knowledge here. How does automated compare to normal train driving?

9. Trainguy90

Trainguy90 Member

You become a computers supervisor with a start button and emergency stop button, possibly have some buttons to control the doors too!
    Not sure it will be that automated though as the appetite for automation mainly seems to be on suburban lines where capacity is maxed out and speeds are relatively low, it’s not an impossibility though.

I think there’s plenty of other threads covering this subject though

10. Lufcman

Lufcman Member

I was invited too but am no longer going ahead with it.
    From a driver I know who works for them , it’s all about the ‘Virgin’ brand and upholding company image. Group exercise will be looking for your reasoning, listening and communication.
    Good luck.