• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin West Coast Open Access Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigVern

Yeup. The Voyager replacements are non-tilt, so as things stand they're limited to 110mph on the WCML.
So according to the report, they won't fit the paths currently used by Voyagers.
So they are unfit for purpose. Who on earth approved that order?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
The report specifically states that it hasn't considered whether a timetable recast would yield additional paths. They also haven't considered any potential relaxing of EPS requirements.

There's a WCML recast due in December 2022.

Someone, somewhere thinks that it can work.

In the interim period, as the first Voyagers get displaces, flightling may keep things running: The voyager-operated services to Chester/North Wales and Scotland via Birmingham arrive and depart Euston adjacent to existing 110mph fast line services (or each other). See sections E.9 and E.10 of the report.

London Trains

In the interim period, as the first Voyagers get displaces, flightling may keep things running: The voyager-operated services to Chester/North Wales and Scotland via Birmingham arrive and depart Euston adjacent to existing 110mph fast line services (or each other). See sections E.9 and E.10 of the report.

However, the xx:23 Birmingham which is sometimes extended to Shrewsbury would no longer be able to do so as due to its stop at Watford Jct, the xx:30 Glasgow would be right behind it.

The Planner

Veteran Member
However, the xx:23 Birmingham which is sometimes extended to Shrewsbury would no longer be able to do so as due to its stop at Watford Jct, the xx:30 Glasgow would be right behind it.
If it stays like that, then yes its a bit of a conundrum as the xx.23 currently catches up the xx.20 Manchester at Hanslope. I expect there is a solution.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I expect there is a solution.
I'm just guessing from the outside, but if Avanti believe they can square the circle with a recast in December 2022, they may just keep operating Voyagers on those Birmingham/Shrewsbury services until then. The new stock is to be introduced "from 2022", but I haven't seen a date for their full introduction.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I'm just guessing from the outside, but if Avanti believe they can square the circle with a recast in December 2022, they may just keep operating Voyagers on those Birmingham/Shrewsbury services until then. The new stock is to be introduced "from 2022", but I haven't seen a date for their full introduction.
Good point, probably why Avanti have a maintenance contract with Bombardier for the voyagers until December 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.