• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
All the way from Chester to Crewe today I couldn't get an internet connection on 3 mobile, and found that Virgin Trains onboard wifi was the only one available, at a price as I was in standard class.

Just wondered if there is some way that Virgin blocks access to other providers, to force passengers to pay for their own service. Probably not, as there are dead spots in many places up that way, but I can usually connect at some stage, whereas nothing at all today. Didn't really matter as only on board for 19 mins, but just curious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
All the way from Chester to Crewe today I couldn't get an internet connection on 3 mobile, and found that Virgin Trains onboard wifi was the only one available, at a price as I was in standard class.

Just wondered if there is some way that Virgin blocks access to other providers, to force passengers to pay for their own service. Probably not, as there are dead spots in many places up that way, but I can usually connect at some stage, whereas nothing at all today. Didn't really matter as only on board for 19 mins, but just curious.

Pendolinos and Voyagers were notorious for bad mobile reception due to the signal attenuation caused by the windows. You might have noticed that there are stickers next to power sockets saying that there is enhanced mobile reception on certain networks. This is to remedy that problem. However, note that the '3' network is not shown as one of those networks, so it might be easier to get mobile broadband reception using those other networks. Although the signal boosting may only work for 2G networks - can anyone clarify? Of course, there may not be good 3 reception between Crewe and Chester anyway as it is quite rural. Check the signal maps on their website.

Bomber

I can confirm that mobile phone reception is quite poor between Crewe and Chester, rural and no major roads near the line for any distance either.

trainophile

Established Member
Just looked at the coverage map and a lot of it does look a bit hit or miss. Coupled with the (presumably) extra-chunky windows maybe it's no wonder.

Apologies to Virgin for thinking that they might be operating a nice little earner for their own set-up :oops:.

mullin

Just sit in the standard class coach next to first and connect to the Wifi. Works perfectly for me between Wigan and Oxenholme and best of all, it's free :)

premier01

Pendolinos and Voyagers were notorious for bad mobile reception due to the signal attenuation caused by the windows. You might have noticed that there are stickers next to power sockets saying that there is enhanced mobile reception on certain networks. This is to remedy that problem. However, note that the '3' network is not shown as one of those networks, so it might be easier to get mobile broadband reception using those other networks. Although the signal boosting may only work for 2G networks - can anyone clarify? Of course, there may not be good 3 reception between Crewe and Chester anyway as it is quite rural. Check the signal maps on their website.

The Wifi user 3G itself-I think it uses all networks except 3 but it is subject to network coverage issues like mobile phones it's not actually broadband like many people think-the signal boosters would improve both 2G and 3G signals but not sure exactly how it works.

Also yes it's usually free to in Coach D as it picks up the 1st class channels! Same in Coach E on the Pendolino's!

Last edited:

Going South

I have a Virgin SIM-card in my laptop. Going North to Bangor I find its reception is good as far as Watford; OK to Milton Keynes, then almost nothing up the Trent Valley until coming into Crewe. Patchy between Crewe and Chester, but very good along the North Wales coast. I tried the free onboard Wifi in February and found that was better, especially in the Trent Valley section.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Just looked at the coverage map and a lot of it does look a bit hit or miss. Coupled with the (presumably) extra-chunky windows maybe it's no wonder.

Apologies to Virgin for thinking that they might be operating a nice little earner for their own set-up :oops:.

It's because the windows have been treated with a silver treatment to reduce the heating effect of the sun on the interior as well as glare. As a side effect it also reflects radio waves (another form of electomagntic radiation)

The same treatment is also on ICEs and 222's. Virgin and DB have fitted repeaters to an external antenna (not sure if XC still use the ones fitted to the Voyagers they inherited)

trainophile

Established Member
I just did the same journey in reverse (Crewe to Chester) on an ATW train, and had a good 3G signal almost all the way. Seems the theory about the window coating on Virgin trains must be correct. If it is to prevent heat loss/retention then I will let them off blame for the inadvertent knock-on effects! Wouldn't be very happy on a long trip though.

Status
Not open for further replies.