• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin's Birmingham New Street "next train to London Euston" departure boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

scouseyb123

Hello all has anyone ever noticed these rather obscure but useful departure boards at New Street station? Has anyone got a picture of one? Thankyou! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanP

Back in the days of the lovely old solari board(flap-flap-flap-flap-flap...) there was a section for this. I assume that's why they still have it, even though on the LCD screens it was implemented by sticking vinyl over the whole screen apart from a window for the time!

It's mostly pointless really, a similar facility would be a lot more useful at say, Guildford, where there are three different routes to London, all operated by the same company, two of which are very slow.

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
It's mostly pointless really, a similar facility would be a lot more useful at say, Guildford, where there are three different routes to London, all operated by the same company, two of which are very slow.

The main boards at Guildford have now been replaced by next fastest train boards, so the only information about London Waterloo services on the concourse is the next fastest service.

CallySleeper

Established Member
On topic of departure boards at New Street, does anyone know if the previous ones on the old concourse will be reinstated? Very similar design (if not exact) to the current standard ones, except with a cooler typeface. Would be a shame not to see them again.

EltonRoad

Hello all has anyone ever noticed these rather obscure but useful departure boards at New Street station? Has anyone got a picture of one? Thankyou! :)

Aren't they a hangover of the old 'InterCity SHUTTLE' boards that said the same thing?

thenorthern

Established Member
There is at least one in the footbridge as well, they are very useful you are right.

kevconnor

I must say it is a shame more places don't use a departure board format like Manchester Piccadilly where they list out next departure to each location. It is much easier for passengers to their train without necessarily having to have detailed knowledge of the final destination of the train.

TEW

Established Member
That's now the standard format for SWT departure boards at large stations. Unlike Manchester Piccadilly they just use standard orange departure screens, which are easier to read in my opinion.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Yes the LCD departure boards at Piccadilly are difficult to read, as well as flipping between the two halves of the alphabet so just as you are about to find your station the whole thing disappears. Waste of space.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I really like the big touchscreen they have at New Street which will give the next few trains to whatever destination you search for, plus quick links to the most popular destinations from the station (I presume that is linked to the search enquiries). I hope they have a few more of those around the station when the concourse is complete, I know there are some smaller ones at platform entrances at the B end of the station but I'm not sure how many.

planetf1

One issue on occasion is what I'd really like to know is

Next train to x on which my current ticket is valid (scans ticket)

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.