• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting London.Advice need on best travel ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul’s

Hi all
i am looking for advice on the cheapest travel ticket, I will be in London from Monday 5th September to Friday 9th September, and have been looking London travel website. I am a holder of GMPTE Disability travel pass and a holder of a Disabled Persons Railcard.I will be traveling with my wife. So my question which offers a better discount on traveling on overhead , tube and dock lands lines .I am staying a Beckton, which I see is in zone 3 on the underground / dock lands zones.Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
You might want to add from where you want to travel and at what time, if you have a preference for the latter. Obviously we can guess Woodsmoor, but to be sure .....

Paul’s

The information I am looking for help is.. Traveling around London, has I have train tickets from Stockport to Euston, so it’s around London central area to Beckton zone 3 ..from Monday 5th to Friday 9th including….

jfollows

Established Member
Ah, OK, apologies for not understanding you originally.
Get an Oyster card and have a discount added to yours for having a Disabled Persons Railcard, see https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount
Your wife can use contactless or her own Oyster card.
Currently you can't get discounted travel from a railcard using contactless. It's supposed to be possible "soon".

Last edited:

Veteran Member

nanstallon

...but (just to clarify) doesn't get the 1/3 off which she would be entitled to on NR.
However, for travelling around London, that's pretty irrelevant, because the Oyster discount is so substantial.

Does this mean that if you have a senior railcard, you won't get any discount on the Underground, or the Overground (Richmond/ Clapham Jn - Stratford)?

Does an Oyster card have any advantage over using my credit card to tap in and out?

jfollows

Established Member
Does this mean that if you have a senior railcard, you won't get any discount on the Underground, or the Overground (Richmond/ Clapham Jn - Stratford)?

Does an Oyster card have any advantage over using my credit card to tap in and out?
The advantage of the Oyster card is, similar to the advice given in this thread already for a different railcard, you can register a Senior Railcard against it and obtain discounted travel. See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount. You can't do this for contactless travel, although it's long been promised "soon".

Is this an ENCTS pass as well? If so it will cover use of buses in London.
Good spot, it is, https://tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/passes-for-disabled-people says
Throughout England:

• travel for free on all local buses between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.
  • if you travel outside of these times you must pay the full adult fare.
Note that TfL (https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessibility/fares-and-tickets) says the ENCTS pass can be used from 9am Monday to Friday, rather than 09:30, and doesn't specify an 11pm end time.

Last edited:

nanstallon

On looking at the reference supplied by jfollows, I now understand that railcards, if registered onto an oyster card, do apply to journeys on the Underground, as well as NR. Thank you.

On another tack, the ENCTS bus pass has no time limits in Cornwall. This was a recent relaxation, a few years ago, and even before then you were allowed a flat fare of £1 on the strength of your bus pass if you travelled before 09.30 or after 23.00. We have a generous County Council!

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
The words (30907) "..but (just to clarify) doesn't get the 1/3 off which she would be entitled to on NR. However, for travelling around London, that's pretty irrelevant, because the Oyster discount is so substantial." suggested to me that railcards (even if tagged onto an oyster card) only apply to journeys on NR, and not to the Underground, or possibly Overground. That is still not clear to me. Sorry if I'm a bit thick!

On another tack, the ENCTS bus pass has no time limits in Cornwall. We have a generous County Council!
This thread is about Disabled Railcard discounts.
These allow a partner adult to have discounted travel on National Rail.
30907 was pointing out that a partner of someone with a Disabled Railcard can't do the same for Oyster, and gets no discount.
You are hopping into someone else's thread and asking totally different questions and making 2+2=27 as a result!

If it's still not clear to you, please follow the link I've given (https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount), and if still not clear please start a new thread of your own which people will be happy to respond to.

Last edited:

nanstallon

This thread is about Disabled Railcard discounts.
These allow a partner adult to have discounted travel on National Rail.
30907 was pointing out that a partner of someone with a Disabled Railcard can't do the same for Oyster, and gets no discount.
You are hopping into someone else's thread and asking totally different questions and making 2+2=27 as a result!
Humble apologies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The other option our OP has is to buy a paper Travelcard. If they bought one of these, rather than using an Oyster card, their wife would benefit from the normal Railcard discount as the accompanying passenger.

Whether that is cheaper depends on how much travelling the OP intends to undertake.

nanstallon

The other option our OP has is to buy a paper Travelcard. If they bought one of these, rather than using an Oyster card, their wife would benefit from the normal Railcard discount as the accompanying passenger.

Whether that is cheaper depends on how much travelling the OP intends to undertake.
Is a paper Travelcard the same price as one on Oyster or contactless?

Haywain

Veteran Member

Although the railcard discount only applies to Day Travelcards.

Paul’s

Hi all , thanks so much for help. After reading your comments and web links given. I was wondering if I purchased 7 day travel card or a daily travel card, for my self with my disability card discount(1/3 off), and normal full price for my wife. Which would save some.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi all , thanks so much for help. After reading your comments and web links given. I was wondering if I purchased 7 day travel card for my self with my disability card discount(1/3 off), and normal full price for my wife. Which would save some.
As mentioned above, railcard discounts are not available on 7-day Travelcards.

jfollows

Established Member
Daily caps for Oyster and Day Travelcards at https://content.tfl.gov.uk/disabled-persons-railcard-fares.pdf; you will need to work out for yourself which works best, but many of the Oyster caps are much less than the equivalent day Travelcard eg Zones 1-3 £5.95 versus £9.50 off-peak or £14.40 peak.

You'll have to work it out for yourself. My feeling is that Oyster with discount for you and normal Oyster or contactless for your wife with no discount is going to work out simplest and cheapest. And you don't have to buy a new ticket every day.

pelli

So we could purchasing travel cards on day of travel.To be able to get the discount.IE each morning or the day before if you are allowed.
The cheapest Off-Peak Day Travelcard is Zones 1-6, which would cost 2 x £9.50 = £19.00 for yourself and your companion after discount.

Using Pay As You Go on a discounted Oyster card for yourself and an undiscounted Oyster/contactless card for your companion would be capped at £5.95 + £9.00 = £14.95 if you stay within zones 1-3, or £7.25 + £11.00 = £18.25 for zones 1-4.

So unless you venture out into zone 5 or beyond, Pay As You Go with daily capping is guaranteed to be cheaper even though your companion's travel is not discounted.

(Note the usual advice that if you're not doing simple point-to-point journeys, but instead spending long times in the system just riding the trains, then a Travelcard is recommended, to avoid exceeding Pay As You Go maximum journey times and getting charged maximum fares which don't count towards the daily cap.)

Haywain

Veteran Member
To add to the comparison, an undiscounted 7-day Travelcard would cost £55.20 for zones 1-4, and £45.20 for zones 1-3. So, for 5 days travel it is still cheaper (just) to use daily capping for your companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.