• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Visiting the UK over the Brexit transition period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

One of my friends will be attending MCM London Comic Con next October, but he will remain in the UK for a Google event he was summoned to during the Brexit transition period.

With or without a deal, he'll be on visit to the UK as a EU citizen arriving before the deadline and departing afterwards. Will he be able to hang around and leave the country back to the EU without issues?

We all have passports since these have always been preferred over the ID card, so if a passport may be an issue to either stay or leave the UK, I think that won't be a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
I don't think it's at all certain, but I think common sense will apply - I can't see why any country would prevent citizens of another country who arrived legitimately from going home when they want to, deal or no deal. There is a fair chance of some airport chaos and delay, but as long as he can put up with that I can't really see a problem.

transmanche

Established Member
We all have passports since these have always been preferred over the ID card, so if a passport may be an issue to either stay or leave the UK, I think that won't be a problem.
I don't foresee any problems for your friend when leaving the country - other than delays at the port/airport of departure.

But do remind them to get travel/health insurance, as (without a deal) their EHIC card will no longer be valid.

I travel from UK to non eu countries regularly. There are no unusual delays at airports.
Travel to/from eu/non-eu contries will be the same, just show passport at airport same as now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
honestly: no idea what the impact will be.

I would suggest ensuring you have in place the kind of insurance, documentation etc you would take for visiting a non EU country

radamfi

Established Member
I travel from UK to non eu countries regularly. There are no unusual delays at airports.
Travel to/from eu/non-eu contries will be the same, just show passport at airport same as now.

If EU passengers are unable to use the automatic passport scanners, they will have to join the "rest of the world" queue. Passengers from EFTA countries and Switzerland might be able to still use the automatic scanners as those countries have already made arrangements with the UK in case there is a "No Deal".

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
No idea what the impact would be, make sure you have insurance in place as if you were going to a non-EU country.

On the plus side, the pound will be worthless so fill your boots while you're here.

Giugiaro

If EU passengers are unable to use the automatic passport scanners, they will have to join the "rest of the world" queue.

Well, from my experience, leaving the UK from Standsted was... underwhelming.

Besides security checks, I never went through border checks or customs. So the main issue when leaving the UK may be the arrival at the EU, as Schengen has border checks both when entering and leaving.
Maybe it's best to talk with the local Foreign Services before departure to the UK.

Now that I think about it, leaving the UK may not be a problem at all. Issue is staying between the transition period, and eventually being addressed by the authorities. If the UK leaves without a deal, it's expected that Visas will come into effect starting November.

radamfi

Established Member
Well, from my experience, leaving the UK from Standsted was... underwhelming.

There are no border checks when leaving UK airports. The UK uses "Advance Passenger Information" (API) instead. The government introduced exit checks at sea ports in recent years.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The most important thing for your friend to be advised on is that if there is a so-called 'No Deal' exit from the EU, there is no formal transition period. There is simply a point in time where the UK is a full member of the EU, followed by another where the UK is a 'third country' to the rest of the EU. Being a 'third country' is not the end of the world, but it is a drastically changed proposition for just about the entire economy. There is no real knowing what will happen.

The best way for your friend to keep themselves safe is to have a comprehensive insurance policy, one that will cover them for everything from lengthy delays to enter or leave their home country, to cancelled flights to an unexpected need to complete a Visa Application to an extended hospital stay in the UK. Of course, some risks may be effectively un-insurable and some might result in the insurance being very very expensive. This is their decision to make. If they can afford something more than the most basic of insurance policies then they are well advised to go for it. There is a risk of 'gold-plating' too though - perhaps they could talk to an insurance expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.