• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vivarail exports to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Price

Moderator note: Posts #1 - #12 originally in this thread

One thing that came out with the issues with the 484's is that 230002 has been sold to an overseas buyer! Vivarail has been seriously honest over their issues and the fact they are testing 010 and have delivered 4 out of the 5 bodes well for introduction at some point this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger B

One thing that came out with the issues with the 484's is that 230002 has been sold to an overseas buyer! Vivarail has been seriously honest over their issues and the fact they are testing 010 and have delivered 4 out of the 5 bodes well for introduction at some point this year.
Thanks Bob. Can you say who's bought it, and whether / when / where it may be exported?

Last edited:

Gag Halfrunt

There are or were plans to send a unit to the United States as a demonstrator for Railroad Development Corporation's Pop-Up Metro concept for commuter services on lightly-used freight lines (presentation PDF).

As of October 2020, they were planning two demonstration operations:

Pop-Up Metro is launching the USA in 2021 with a potential demonstration operations
sites in Altoona, IA and central Pennsylvania.
Following the launch, Pop-Up Metro has the potential to bring mobility solutions to
communities that combine:
 Mobility challenges such as traffic congestion
 Willing host railroads interested in increasing the value of light-density freight lines
 Local sponsors in the public, non-profit, or private sectors

DavidGrain

Established Member
230002 arrived at the Rockhill Trolley Museum 16th/17th April. Information from their Facebook page. I have not seen any photos of it unveiled yet.

1619604224802.png

Roger B

230002 arrived at the Rockhill Trolley Museum 16th/17th April. Information from their Facebook page. I have not seen any photos of it unveiled yet.
Wow! Thanks David. Presumably it left the UK early April - anyone know the actual date? Is it expected to come back soon, or to be there for a while / permanently?

Last edited:

DavidGrain

Established Member
Wow! Thanks David. Presumably it left the UK early April - anyone know the actual date? Is it expected to come back soon, or to be there for a while / permanently?
I think it will be there permanently. There is a company registered in the name of Vivarail International Ltd which was registered in February this year. I think one of Viva's financial sponsors is handling this side of the business. The idea is to try to sell these D train conversitons in America.

Gag Halfrunt

From the Rockhill Trolley Museum's Facebook feed (I don't know if the deep link works: I don't have an account):

The Rockhill Trolley Museum, operated by Railways To Yesterday Inc. is excited to announce that the museum has entered into an agreement with Railroad Development Corporation (RDC) for the demonstration of the Pop-Up Metro system it is developing with its UK affiliate VivaRail. The battery-powered train consists of two remanufactured English Class 230 passenger commuter cars, two motors, each approximately sixty feet long.

The train will be demonstrated for potential customers at the Rockhill Trolley Museum in Rockhill Furnace, Pennsylvania. A building addition is being constructed on the north side of the museum's Carbarn Two to house the train, and to allow it to be demonstrated at its full potential, the museum’s mainline track will undergo rehabilitation, with the replacement of 500 to 700 ties followed by ballasting and resurfacing. The train requires a high level platform, which will be installed.

The demonstration project is expected to last up to three years. At the end of the project, the carbarn addition will become the property of the Rockhill Trolley Museum.

230002 has had a makeover with a new orange/brown/grey livery and orange grab poles. etc.

Roger B

I think it will be there permanently. There is a company registered in the name of Vivarail International Ltd which was registered in February this year. I think one of Viva's financial sponsors is handling this side of the business. The idea is to try to sell these D train conversitons in America.
Many thanks David. Would it be fair to say that one of the factors behind this is that Vivarail's hopes / expectations for adoption of 230s eg for UK branch lines, are looking increasingly unlikely to be fulfilled? It's difficult to see where the volume of stock they purchased could be used in the UK - especially with GA and TfW fleet plans. Apologies if this has been done to death previously / elsewhere, but there doesn't seem to be that many remaining candidates for the 230s, unless Vivarail can significantly increase their range - eg to cover Middlesbrough - Saltburn / Whitby, Hull - Scarborough, Barrow - Lancaster / Carlisle, etc. That said I'd have thought they might be a good fit for some of the Cornish branch lines - replacing ageing DMUs?

Chris125

Established Member
I'll try and put this delicately - are D78 seats the ideal size for the average american? I'm not so sure...

Chris125

Established Member
You can fit any seats you like.

True, at a cost, but these are the seats prospective buyers will see and sit on. Not sure it's a great first impression for trains which are pretty small by american standards anyway.

D365

Veteran Member
That’s an interesting development, good to see a 230 finally arrive in the US. Wonder if the ”fast charge” truck trailer went along with it.

In any case, I’m glad I got to sample 002 (and 001) when I had the chance!

Last edited:

I would regard it as a bonus in that its one less they will try and use over here. In any case wouldn't a pop up metro train in the US more than likely need to be a low level platform train?

Gag Halfrunt

The Pop-Up Metro concept includes temporary platforms supplied as part of the package.

Pop-Up Metro is an initiative intended to expand the size of the rail transit market by allowing metropolitan areas with existing light-density rail freight lines to establish demonstration operations of a rail transit system on a rapid timeline and for the cost that they might otherwise pay for a consulting study.

Pop-Up Metro will lease trains, platforms, battery charging kit and an integration package, including operating and maintenance regimes.

A Pop-Up Metro demonstration operation, based on Vivarail battery trains, is in the process of being established in the USA and will be operational and available to demonstrate proof-of-concept in early 2021.

An additional benefit of Pop-Up Metro is proof-of-market in addition to proof-of-concept, thus substantially reducing the risk of the traditional approach of building the system first and then seeing if the market exists.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Another brave attempt to export a British product to serve in a US commuter rail context!

HV_leyland_wyc.jpg

Photo: Huntingdon Valley Station, September 10, 1985. Photo taken from the book The Reading in the Conrail Era, 1976-1998, Book Two by Dale W. Woodland reproduced from Wikimedia Commons here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HV_leyland_wyc.jpg

Isn't the US non electrified metro market already served, buy a US assembled flirt job done, 40 year old tube trains need not apply either in the UK or US.

nlogax

Established Member
Another brave attempt to export a British product to serve in a US commuter rail context!

You beat me to this one. I do chuckle knowing some of BREL and Leyland's *ahem* finest work was trundling around dodgy SEPTA metals. With US rail section ends not usually aligning I wonder if the ride was actually better there.

XAM2175

Established Member
Isn't the US non electrified metro market already served, buy a US assembled flirt job done, 40 year old tube trains need not apply either in the UK or US.
My understanding is that the Class 230 unit only operates the demonstration services; a permanent operation commissioned off the back of the demonstration would use conventional stock.

My understanding is that the Class 230 unit only operates the demonstration services; a permanent operation commissioned off the back of the demonstration would use conventional stock.
Well OK but other than flogging a single unit I don't see a lot in it for Vivarail, will the Americans buy 40 year old tube stock for a new Metro scheme I somehow doubt it, plus American crash standards seem to be heavy duty on the mainline not sure about their light rail standards.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Well OK but other than flogging a single unit I don't see a lot in it for Vivarail, will the Americans buy 40 year old tube stock for a new Metro scheme I somehow doubt it, plus American crash standards seem to be heavy duty on the mainline not sure about their light rail standards.
American light rail standards are roughly in line with European tram-train standards and a 230 would exceed these as it's nominally a heavy rail vehicle in the UK. I guess it would probably run on lightly-used freight lines under time separation, as several LRTs do.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
You beat me to this one. I do chuckle knowing some of BREL and Leyland's *ahem* finest work was trundling around dodgy SEPTA metals. With US rail section ends not usually aligning I wonder if the ride was actually better there.
The big problem it had* was not activating automatic crossing controls due to being so light compared to the average US rail vehicle. Even Budd RDCs (sort of like a 153 built in the style of a 1950s American Diner) had to run in pairs on the line the Pacer demonstrator managed a single trip on.

*= apart from it being a Pacer, that is.

Last edited:

galwhv69

Initially to Orbisonia in Pennsylvania
Also, interesting bit at the end of the article:
Mr Shooter says the opportunities are significant, and reports Vivarail is in discussions with an overseas customer about a bid for battery trains for a new 500-mile line which would incorporate 12 fast charge points at stations.

Vivarail's argument is that a demonstration will be a lot cheaper than a consultant's report (which will inevitably say how expensive a metro system would be). It gives cities an opportunity to try it out for themselves.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Vivarail's argument is that a demonstration will be a lot cheaper than a consultant's report (which will inevitably say how expensive a metro system would be). It gives cities an opportunity to try it out for themselves.
Also we discussed recently in another thread how much of America hasn't had a local rail passenger service in living memory, and a lot of the population hasn't used one on visits to other cities either. So a demonstration could help build public support and also provide some calibration for these factors in the demand predictions. The concept of a "starter line" has been used quite often in light rail in the States - building a fairly short section at relatively low cost and see how it goes before considering any extensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.