• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteer Oyster card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I've never really heard of a volunteer Oyster card before. Looking at a job description for Poppy charity collector:

• You will be provided with a volunteer pass that gives you free travel of TfL and National Rail Services that day.

Looking through this I'm not sure which card that would be, any ideas?

Ps, i'm referring to this document

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm aware that Volunteer Oyster cards were issued at the time of the 2012 Olympic Games.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
When I worked at TfL we could issue card day passes to contactors (mag stripe ticket and accompanying hand-written card). They were not Oyster and did not always have photocards. They did have the phone number of the issuing department in case any inspectors wanted to check they were being correctly used.

I suspect these may be similar.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Volunteer Oyster cards were issued for the 2020 UEFA Euros at Wembley stadium this year, to FA stadium volunteers and accredited media.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The Staff Brief that Rail Delivery Group has issued just refers to volunteers being issued with a Collector's ID by the Royal British Legion, and to accept that as the Authority to Travel.

matt_world2004

Established Member
When I worked at TfL we could issue card day passes to contactors (mag stripe ticket and accompanying hand-written card). They were not Oyster and did not always have photocards. They did have the phone number of the issuing department in case any inspectors wanted to check they were being correctly used.

I suspect these may be similar.
Contractor passes are now orange oyster Cards and an accompanying paper photocard detailing validity.

sonic2009

Established Member
Could be worth making a FOI request to TFL?

I've searched on google, and can only find staff guide on FOI request from Sept 2016.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've never really heard of a volunteer Oyster card before. Looking at a job description for Poppy charity collector:

Looking through this I'm not sure which card that would be, any ideas?

Ps, i'm referring to this document
Looking through the brief that's been provided, volunteers will not be given an Oyster card. Rather, it will be a 'Collector's ID card' that not will open automatic gates, so holders will have to ask to be allowed through a manned gate.

island

Veteran Member
I'm aware that Volunteer Oyster cards were issued at the time of the 2012 Olympic Games.
I may be mistaken, but I believe these were, at their core, normal retail Oyster cards loaded with period Travelcards or an amount of pre-paid credit depending on the role of the volunteer. They were a different colour. Along with the volunteer credential they could be shown to travel on National Rail services to access relevant venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.