• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Volunteering - East Lancs Railway

Urban-Savage

Thanks in advance for any replies

Aknowledging that at 53 and being in a senior clinical nhs role a late career change is unlikely I am considering exploring my passion for rail via perhaps a volunteer role at a local heritage line

Anyone have any experience of volunteering for the east lancs please? Good bad or indifferent ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Whilst one individual's experience of volunteering is not sufficiently representative to be indicative of a railway as a whole I think you should at least be aware of Joanne Crompton's experience volunteering at East Lancs Railway.

Rather than my posting links - which may not be representative - I would suggest a search on Google and then make up your own mind.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Whilst one individual's experience of volunteering is not sufficiently representative to be indicative of a railway as a whole I think you should at least be aware of Joanne Crompton's experience volunteering at East Lancs Railway.

Rather than my posting links - which may not be representative - I would suggest a search on Google and then make up your own mind.
Agreed

fireftrm

I also think you should be aware that this was one person. Far better would be to pop along to one of the stations and speak with volunteers who are there.

railfan99

Established Member

In contrast, on a visit from Australia in September 2022, I found the volunteers at the ELR excellent. Polite, helpful and not overbearing.

Titfield

Established Member
In contrast, on a visit from Australia in September 2022, I found the volunteers at the ELR excellent. Polite, helpful and not overbearing.

Yes, in my experience of visiting a number of heritage railways I have found the volunteers without exception to be polite, helpful and genuinely enthusiastic wishing to make the visit pleasant and informative.

I visited the ELR myself last August and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent there.

LGM08

I’ve been a volunteer on the ELR for just a smidge over 5 years now on the diesel footplate, signalling as well as maintaining our tub. It’s a brilliant place, very welcoming and friendly.
Don’t believe everything you see on social media. I would suggest coming to one of the tours and seeing for yourself.

I approach the Lancs late last year to offer my services. All I have found is positivity and a warm welcome. They really look after volunteers.

Do it!

railfan99

Established Member
I approach the Lancs late last year to offer my services. All I have found is positivity and a warm welcome. They really look after volunteers.

Do it!

As a non-UK resident, I'd read the East Lancs Railway was 'too suburban' and impliedly had most unattractive scenery dominated by boring suburban backyards.

I didn't find Bury to Heywood enticing but the rest (Bury, a lovely station with a great range of semaphore signals and a 'ye olde worlde' atmosphere) to Rawtenstall was terrific, especially that lovely small viaduct, and the general rural atmosphere. We even had passengers joining and alighting at Burrs Country Park.

I spent an hour or so at Ramsbottom with its interlocked gates, enjoying a cheap half pint at the pub opposite, and found it a lovely (though touristy) town. Many UK residents will regard its historic buildings as 'ho hum' given that's hardly unusual in England, but coming from a distant metropolis lacking some of that history, it was enchanting.

Well worth volunteering at.

fireftrm

I spent an hour or so at Ramsbottom with its interlocked gates, enjoying a cheap half pint at the pub opposite, and found it a lovely (though touristy) town. Many UK residents will regard its historic buildings as 'ho hum' given that's hardly unusual in England, but coming from a distant metropolis lacking some of that history, it was enchanting.

Rawtenstall is a lovely town, it is a bit longer walk from the station to the centre, but worth the visit, nice pub on the station itslef and a number in the town too

CAIB

As a non-UK resident, I'd read the East Lancs Railway was 'too suburban' and impliedly had most unattractive scenery dominated by boring suburban backyards.

I didn't find Bury to Heywood enticing but the rest (Bury, a lovely station with a great range of semaphore signals and a 'ye olde worlde' atmosphere) to Rawtenstall was terrific, especially that lovely small viaduct, and the general rural atmosphere. We even had passengers joining and alighting at Burrs Country Park.

It’s grim up North. The Heywood run reminds me of bashing days in the 70’s especially behind a Rat. Depends on your perception. I’m Lancashire through and through. Try it in the rain it’s even better.

O8yityityit

Thanks in advance for any replies

Aknowledging that at 53 and being in a senior clinical nhs role a late career change is unlikely I am considering exploring my passion for rail via perhaps a volunteer role at a local heritage line

Anyone have any experience of volunteering for the east lancs please? Good bad or indifferent ?
Hi there , great to hear your interested in volunteering at the ELR.
Where there particular areas of the railway which you were interested in ( Station, p-way, rolling stock maintenance or the operational side)? Also would you be looking to volunteer time mainly at weekends or weekdays?