• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Voyagers /Meredians

Efini92

Established Member
The voyagers run at a different speed profile due to the tilt being less. That’s about it. Timings are not much different between pendos and voyagers afaik
There’s only a couple of places where the profile is different. Berkhamsted, linslade tunnel, weedon, Rugby. There’s a differential for trains towards Liverpool at Weaver, but voyagers don’t go up there anymore.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Chimaera

View attachment 156324
I can't remember where I got the image from or who took it, but I think this is what you're looking for.
This was when Virgin sent the unused driving trailers from 221144 to an exhibition weekend at the NRM at York. The unit couldn’t work by itself as a two car as the leading vehicles don’t have compressors. The photo seems to have been taken at Claycross.

Meerkat

Established Member
Extending tilt is all very well, but a lot of people do get sick, or at least feel sick on Pendolinos. Extending the sphere of tilt operation wouldn't be good for these people. Tilt is so last century.
I’m really not buying that ‘lots‘ of people feel sick. I can’t see how that could be true and the trains still be so busy at high prices when there are alternatives.

irish_rail

Established Member
I’m really not buying that ‘lots‘ of people feel sick. I can’t see how that could be true and the trains still be so busy at high prices when there are alternatives.
My kids physically vomit. My partner feels very sick. I sometimes feel sick. I have friends who have been sick. Just because some people are unaffected doesn't mean it isn't a problem. On that basis trains wouldnt have disabled accommodation. I think a big part of the problem is Virgin / Avanti are desperate to hide the fact the trains make some people feel sick as it isn't exactly good publicity.

Meerkat

Established Member
My kids physically vomit. My partner feels very sick. I sometimes feel sick. I have friends who have been sick. Just because some people are unaffected doesn't mean it isn't a problem. On that basis trains wouldnt have disabled accommodation. I think a big part of the problem is Virgin / Avanti are desperate to hide the fact the trains make some people feel sick as it isn't exactly good publicity.
“Some people” are unaffected? I had never heard of this til now. And never seen it in the press.

irish_rail

Established Member
“Some people” are unaffected? I had never heard of this til now. And never seen it in the press.
The combination of tilting plus tiny windows preventing the brain to properly register what is happening is a recipe for feeling sick. Most people just grin and bare it I suppose, the same way most people who attempt to read a book in a car would feel ill, so they just don't do it.

noddy1878

Established Member
Back in 2011 though they rigged up a temporary compressor in 221144 (was in the main part of passenger saioon), when it was first made a two car unit so it could move under its own power around Central Rivers for a charity event.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I travelled on APT, That didnt make me sick.
Funny you should say that. BR asked for staff volunteers to participate in passenger comfort tests on the APT and myself and a couple of mates did it. I don't have the details to hand right now but IIRC we travelled to Preston and joined the APT there. It was power cars 49003+006 and we were in the first class buffet car. They had rigged up pendant type push buttons on cables from the luggage racka and were in syndicates of four. Person 1 faced forward for 15 minutes, person 2 facing back, person 3 standing and person 4 resting. The plan was to switch positiions every fifteen minutes, and to push and hold the pendant button any tome we felt sick or queasy. I never did. I believe the train ran at 0 degrees cant on the first run, 4.5 degrees on the second run and 9 degrees on the third run. Someone was continuously calling out speed at mileposts on the PA system and I remember the thrill "flying" north over Shap summit at 115mph - truly amazing.

Last edited:

Russel

Fair play to Avanti and Virgin for covering this up, considering Pendolinos carry thousands of people up and down the country every day for the last 20 years, they must have some good people in PR...

Or more likely, this isn't really the issue you're making it out to be, is it? In 30 years of train travel, I've never encountered anyone being sick that wasn't alcohol related.

irish_rail

Established Member
Fair play to Avanti and Virgin for covering this up, considering Pendolinos carry thousands of people up and down the country every day for the last 20 years, they must have some good people in PR...

Or more likely, this isn't really the issue you're making it out to be, is it? In 30 years of train travel, I've never encountered anyone being sick that wasn't alcohol related.
I can only go on what I experience and see.

Doomotron

The combination of tilting plus tiny windows preventing the brain to properly register what is happening is a recipe for feeling sick. Most people just grin and bare it I suppose, the same way most people who attempt to read a book in a car would feel ill, so they just don't do it.
I find Coca Cola and salt and vinegar crisps help. I also used to have one of those wristbands with the button that pushed into my wrists. I've never been on a tilting train, but those things did help on ships. I used to get very sick on ships, now I don't. Interestingly I still get sick in cars and buses when I can't see out of the front or have a wide view.

It's an individual thing really. Avanti isn't running a cover-up operation, which would be on a similar scale to the alleged cover-ups regarding the moon landings and the shape of the Earth... Some people will feel sick, but there are ways to get around it. Personally I wish the trains had opening windows as fresh air also helps - then again, I generally prefer opening windows to air conditioning anyway as on fast trains I prefer the feeling of the wind, but that's just me.

irish_rail

Established Member
I find Coca Cola and salt and vinegar crisps help. I also used to have one of those wristbands with the button that pushed into my wrists. I've never been on a tilting train, but those things did help on ships. I used to get very sick on ships, now I don't. Interestingly I still get sick in cars and buses when I can't see out of the front or have a wide view.

It's an individual thing really. Avanti isn't running a cover-up operation, which would be on a similar scale to the alleged cover-ups regarding the moon landings and the shape of the Earth... Some people will feel sick, but there are ways to get around it. Personally I wish the trains had opening windows as fresh air also helps - then again, I generally prefer opening windows to air conditioning anyway as on fast trains I prefer the feeling of the wind, but that's just me.
I think more people (much like yourself) probably just suffer in silence. For me it is mild nausea. It is my kids who cause a problem by physically vomiting all over the carriage! Fair point about the fresh air. Although that isn't going to happen, Pendolino carriages to me do seem especially warm in comparison to any other stock I've been on, and I wonder if that plays a part. Maybe turning the heat down a little would help?

Doomotron

I think more people (much like yourself) probably just suffer in silence. For me it is mild nausea. It is my kids who cause a problem by physically vomiting all over the carriage! Fair point about the fresh air. Although that isn't going to happen, Pendolino carriages to me do seem especially warm in comparison to any other stock I've been on, and I wonder if that plays a part. Maybe turning the heat down a little would help?
Turning the heat down would help most people I think. And I don't really suffer from silence, I either don't feel sick or I do, but I haven't actually vomited from sea/carsickness for at least ten years and probably more now.

Russel

Turning the heat down would help most people I think. And I don't really suffer from silence, I either don't feel sick or I do, but I haven't actually vomited from sea/carsickness for at least ten years and probably more now.

Agree regarding the heat, the heating seems to only have two settings, off and roast...

The air con in the summer is lovely, but as soon as the put the heating on, they're awful.

They must be aware that heating is a subject of discussion as when you connect to the Avanti Wi-Fi, they ask for your opinion of the temperature.