• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VT Train Manager - Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

8J

Virgin are advertising posts for TM's at Manchester. Does anyone know how many positions are available?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mickeyjenson!

Applied for this yesterday but without any rail experience I don't think I have much of a chance.

8J

It will be very fierce competition both internally and externally!

I have also applied - best of luck

notadriver

Established Member
If there are any girls applying especially pretty thin ex airline cabin crew you both have had it lol ;)

8J

Yes im afraid it ran until last night. Don't know how long it was on for. I only spotted it at 9:30pm last night, so was frantically completing the application form.

Will have to wait and see how it goes. There are plenty of CSA roles on website at the moment too

JTD

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Yes im afraid it ran until last night. Don't know how long it was on for. I only spotted it at 9:30pm last night, so was frantically completing the application form.

Will have to wait and see how it goes. There are plenty of CSA roles on website at the moment too

JTD

It was on for a week

mickeyjenson!

I've been invited to the recruitment event for this position anybody have any previous experience of these days. I would be extremely grateful, cheers Mike.

Mattmatt

Neither here, nor there, but somewhere in-between!
There's plenty of competition for these roles. I am told there was a total of around 7000 applications. A few of my colleagues (whom are conductors for Northern) have been invited to the recruitment event on Friday.

I am also told that there are 4 to 5 TM jobs at Picc going

vaughnios2012

Hi Folks,

Congrats to those above who have made it through to stage 1 on Friday.
I have also got through to stage 1 and will be there on Friday, does anyone know how many TM positions are available?

Beveridges

Established Member
200 will be interviewed :o
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
5 positions :D

That's 2.5% chance per applicant at Interview stage!

Plenty of Northern Guards going for this who can't wait to get off the Bendy Busses on Rails.

Last edited:

lampwick

There were 34 people invited to stage 2, 17 of which were external. The day was based on The Apprentice tv show. Candidates were split into small groups and tasked with coming up with a new offering for customers, either on board or at stations. The groups were given a £20 budget to represent their idea, which they had to present back to everyone at the event. 2.5 hours were given to complete the task. Each candidate was also interviewed for 20 minutes during the task, leaving the group to pick up the slack. Assessors followed candidates around all day and the groups were encouraged to get out on the streets to perform market research.

There were around 10 people on the "board" assessing the ideas presented and probably a total of 20-30 Virgin staff assessing through the day.

For anyone attending one of these events, make sure you think carefully about your skills and have PLENTY of examples to hand as to why you are truly exceptional. They will ask you for examples for everything you say. Also think about why you want to work for Virgin in particular. The interviewer will probably not have read your application so may know nothing about you so it's your only chance to really impress. The interview was one on one, so there's a bit of luck involved because if you don't "click" with the interviewer, you won't stand a chance.

The group work really comes naturally. You will be expected to listen to others and build on their ideas. If you disagree with someone in your group, say so politely but don't argue and don't get bogged down disagreeing. Try to move things forward without being dominant and make sure you stick to time.

Good luck to anyone applying for similar roles in future. It's a gruelling day. There'll be far more "right" people for the role there than there are jobs. It's difficult to stand out but you can only be yourself and try not to get your hopes up.

In case you're wondering, I didn't get through! Apparently there were three vacancies in total.

Beveridges

Established Member
The assessment sounds really, really hard for a job which to me looks rather easy. Christ, passing the selection process for a drivers job with one of the "lower" TOCs is probably easier than becoming a TM with Virgin.

trainofhope

Spot on reply from Lampwick , sorry you didnt get through but dont give up, you sound right to me :)
Telephone the funny farm sorry the Talent Academy and ask for some feedbak.
They are taking 5 on 2 reserves.
TOH :D

Established Member
First one to get an offer is an 'outsider'. Not from Virgin..... is this a first? Come from some random airline. Indeed, a red one ;)

lampwick

If it's the guy I remember, he had plenty of experience with Virgin Atlantic so that would make sense. The truth with these jobs is that there are always gonna be heaps of disappointed people unfortunately. In my opinion, at least half of the people at the event were clearly capable of doing this job well.

Cheers to TOH by the way :) Only just noticed your response...d'oh!

Last edited:

trainofhope

I agree a few there could do he job reasonably well.
VT dont just want a TM they wanted the Very best with a big focus on Customer Service and with the amount of applications they CAN have the very best. Would you not do the same?
I made an error in a post as there was only 5 positions actually 3 with 2 reserves .
3 vacancies has now thrown up a little problem as a TM who left is now wanting to return.:o

ringostarr

Having applied for the TM job and falling at the first talent academy day, I received a email saying the dreaded word 'unfortunately' blah de blah!!
on the email though they asked would I consider adding my name to the talent pool for future consideration. Did anyone else get this or was it just a communal response?
Also I have tried on a number of occasions via email and phone to get feedback but am yet to do so, anybody else had this or is it just me?
:D

lampwick

It's not just you. I was offered a Customer Service role and I know a couple of people who have also been placed in the talent pool.

mickeyjenson!

It's not just you. I was offered a Customer Service role and I know a couple of people who have also been placed in the talent pool.

I received the email regarding these roles and was told they would get back to me in the new year, however not heard anything as of yet. Just curious to see if anyone else has heard back ?

ringostarr

Yeah we all got jobs apart from you sorry :lol:
Still checking emails daily to see if they have sent anything. Asked again on Friday for feedback but still haven't received any :(
Best of luck anyway :D

Status
Not open for further replies.