• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC free wifi code

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I booked a couple of journeys yesterday using the VTEC site, none of them involving VTEC trains, and have today received emails giving me a code for 10 hours free wifi in Standard Class on VTEC trains.

Nice touch, or another veiled apology for the removal of Rewards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Probably a mistake - there are a few bugs in the system, I won't mention the ones I've found (at least not on a public forum) as they work to my advantage... ;)

Saint66

Mentioned a few weeks ago on the forum, recently implemented by VTEC. Not a mistake as some may suggest. ;)

skyhigh

Established Member
No, not a mistake that a code gets sent out - but a mistake that they get sent out for a non-VTEC journey. My interpretation of it was that it was only sent if you booked a journey that used their trains. Might be wrong though!

TheBerry

No, not a mistake that a code gets sent out - but a mistake that they get sent out for a non-VTEC journey. My interpretation of it was that it was only sent if you booked a journey that used their trains. Might be wrong though!

Possibly reached a limit of what technology can do, in identifying if you've actually booked a VTEC journey or not. Either way you have to opt-in to their marketing emails. Clever.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I don't like the VTEC site - I use the VTWC site, because I find the latter always finds the cheapest advances, which the webTIS system doesn't always find (even on VTEC services). And I couldn't really be asked to fill out the "price promise" form.

Hopefully the VTWC site also gives this code in the future for VTEC services.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's not actually worth anything if you can't use it because you are not on one of the trains where it can be used.

Though it's valid for quite a while and doesn't have to be used on the booked journeys.

Dent

Though it's valid for quite a while and doesn't have to be used on the booked journeys.

Only if you pay for a journey with VTEC.

This is actually just a marketing trick, leading you to believe that they have given you something and you just have to buy something else from them to use it. In reality the code is just a sequence of characters with no intrinsic value, and the profit on the ticket you have to buy to use it more than covers the minimal cost to VTEC of letting one more person use the wifi they are providing anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.