• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC HST sets NL65 and EC64

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingqueen

Please does anybody happen to know the current disposition of HST train / Class 43 locos + Mark 3 coaching sets NL65 and EC64? I thought they were only in use by VTEC whilst their Mark 3/4 stock was being refurbished, originally borrowed from EMT then returned, but I'd love confirmation.

It's of interest becuase their wheelchair space provision is the other way round. On all other "VTEC" Mark 3 rakes there's a fully accessible toilet in Standard class coach F and an unusable wheelchair space (~55cm width restriction) and non-adapted toilet in 1st coach L. But NL65 and EC64, being of different origin have fully accessible wheelchair spaces and toilets in 1st, and none in standard.

Or was EC64 not so much loaned as permanently passed to VTEC, hence EC code using Craigentinny depot? And NL65 turning into more of a "permanent" loan, as it were? I know they were (are?) used on Hull diagrams.

Thanks for anybody that can help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MG11

Please does anybody happen to know the current disposition of HST train / Class 43 locos + Mark 3 coaching sets NL65 and EC64? I thought they were only in use by VTEC whilst their Mark 3/4 stock was being refurbished, originally borrowed from EMT then returned, but I'd love confirmation.

It's of interest becuase their wheelchair space provision is the other way round. On all other "VTEC" Mark 3 rakes there's a fully accessible toilet in Standard class coach F and an unusable wheelchair space (~55cm width restriction) and non-adapted toilet in 1st coach L. But NL65 and EC64, being of different origin have fully accessible wheelchair spaces and toilets in 1st, and none in standard.

Or was EC64 not so much loaned as permanently passed to VTEC, hence EC code using Craigentinny depot? And NL65 turning into more of a "permanent" loan, as it were? I know they were (are?) used on Hull diagrams.

It might be worth tweeting Virgin East Coast about it, they are usually very helpful with queries like that.

On Moderation

EC64 was permanently transferred to VTEC when it moved over and is part of the core fleet. It is used interchangeably with EC51-63 and can operate any of the core fleet HST diagrams.

NL65 was sub-leased from EMT, but is now directly leased to VTEC, so is also now a permanent part of the fleet. Maintenance for this set (along with power cars 43061/075) is carried out by EMT at Neville Hill. When maintenance is due (approx once very 10-12 weeks) VTEC use a standard EMT set as a replacement - for exam purposes NL65 is part of the EMT pool, so cover is available from the EMT spare set (there is no EMT set on exam when NL65 is on maintenance).

westv

Established Member
I thought they were only in use by VTEC whilst their Mark 3/4 stock was being refurbished, originally borrowed from EMT then returned, but I'd love confirmation.

That's what VTEC originally claimed but it turned up to be untrue.

westv

Established Member
Where did they claim that?

Email I received 30/6/15

"We thought it was important to let you know about some changes to the train you are booked to travel on 03/07/2015*. Instead of one of our usual grey and white liveried trains, you may be travelling on board a train which we’ve hired from East Midlands Trains. We’ve brought this extra train into service to allow us to start an exciting and much-needed £21m refresh of our current train fleet, without having to reduce services or alter the current timetable."

Ok, it doesn't specifically state the the EMT had been hired purely for the period of the refurbishment but the wording certainly implies it.

On Moderation
Email I received 30/6/15

"We thought it was important to let you know about some changes to the train you are booked to travel on 03/07/2015*. Instead of one of our usual grey and white liveried trains, you may be travelling on board a train which we’ve hired from East Midlands Trains. We’ve brought this extra train into service to allow us to start an exciting and much-needed £21m refresh of our current train fleet, without having to reduce services or alter the current timetable."

Ok, it doesn't specifically state the the EMT had been hired purely for the period of the refurbishment but the wording certainly implies it.
That refers to NL65, not EC64. Since the refurb programme they have increased the number of services, which requires extra stock. The franchise agreement also explicitly states the set is on lease through to the end of December 2018 along with the rest of the HST fleet.

cj_1985

as has been suggested before... would it not make sense to swap the EMT power cars for ex GC Power cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.