• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VTEC "unreserved" coach and "dry" train ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zod

Greetings !
I'm returning from Edinburgh to London next Saturday ( 7th Nov) on the following service :

1E24 1700 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y58049/2015/11/07/advanced.

Would anyone know if this would be HST or Class 91 hauled ; more to the point does the train have an "Unreserved" coach ? I have an Advance and the alternative options for reserved seating are not particularly desirable. I was think of plonking myself onto a better seat in the unreserved carriage. Finally, as it's Saturday late afternoon is there a possibility of this service being a "dry" tea-total train ?

Thanks.

Z

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's timed for class 91, so it's likely to be allocated class 91. Of course set swaps can occur.

Did the VTEC website not let you pick a seat more to your choosing? What do you mean by "alternative options for reserved seating are not particularly desirable"? What are your requirements?

Where are you travelling to?

General Zod

I'm travelling to Kings Cross. When I booked the ticket I had wanted a table seat by the window and on trying to pick an alternative seat the ones which remained were the aisle seats or the horrid, cramped airline style seats. I travel a fair bit on VWC and never had any issues sitting in the Unreserved coach on the Advance tickets. Was unsure if the TM would be aggrieved if I did the same on VTEC.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When you say you don't want an "airline style "seat, you mean you want a table seat?

Looking at the seat selector now, I don't see any reason why you can't get a good seat. For example in Coach D, seat 73 is available, which is a window seat at the end of the coach and I believe has extra leg room. There are also plenty of table seats, but you won't have as much leg room opposite someone.

If you want an individual seat with loads of leg room, consider a £25 weekend first upgrade.

You should have been able to choose a suitable seat, and failing that you should now be able to alter your reservation to choose one.

I don't see any harm in removing your seat reservation label (as this won't affect any subsequent reservations, given you're travelling to the final destination) and sitting in Coach H. Technically this is a breach of the T&Cs but there is no real harm done. But it shouldn't be necessary on this service.

Attachments

• 07Nov151700EDBKGX.png
    07Nov151700EDBKGX.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 26

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Would you mind being sat opposite/next to someone? If not then you would be able to plonk yourself down in any seat at a table without a reservation label. I suggest getting to the train in good time in order to find a seat.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, absolutely :D !
Then there are loads available. Did you use the seat selector?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Would you mind being sat opposite/next to someone? If not then you would be able to plonk yourself down in any seat at a table without a reservation label. I suggest getting to the train in good time in order to find a seat.
If I was the OP, with that requirement, I'd go ahead and change the seat to Coach D, Seat 5. As at least then you'll be sat next to a lone passenger. It's not always pleasant to be the lone person at a table among a group of 3 people who all know each other, who may be a bit rowdy.;)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Its also possible to request a different reservation via VTEC's website.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The buffet car on electric sets is unreserved but has no sockets and only two tables.

On HSTs I believe VTEC provide unreserved seats throughout the train but no fully unreserved coach.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
If you have booked your tickets via VTEC's website you can change your seats for no fee.

As for unreserved seats, on the Mk IVs coach H is unreserved and the extreme north end of coach B is (the bit that used to be the smoking compartment). There are no unreservable coaches on a HST, although if there's a set swap from a booked Mk IV set you'll find coach G will be unreserved.

The 1900 is now regularly a dry train, but earlier ones aren't unless there's been a big event in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

Status
Not open for further replies.