VWC off peak return - outward break of journey

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Phil from Mon, 27 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil from Mon

Phil from Mon Member

Hi guys

I need to travel Bangor - Penrith next month for a meeting, but have another in Oxenholme on the way. Can I break an off-peak return Bangor to Penrith at Oxenholme, or should I travel Bangor - Oxenholme and rebook? Does a senior railcard make any difference? Many thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. LexyBoy

LexyBoy Established Member Fares Advisor

2T restriction on that ticket: break of journey is fine, and valid at any time.

4. Phil from Mon

Phil from Mon Member

Thanks Lexy boy

Does my Oxenholme train have to be one that also goes on to call at Penrith?

5. mikeg

mikeg Member

No, as long as you stay on a permitted route from Bangor to Penrith you will be fine.

6. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

If you're getting it reimbursed I suppose it won't matter, but if you're not then you may wish to consider buying two tickets rather than one, or 'rebooking' if you will.

Bangor -> Wigan is £44.10 and allows any train, but no break of journey on this bit.
    Wigan -> Penrith is £33.10 and allows any train, including break of journey at Oxenholme.

Total is £77.20 and you must travel on a train calling at Wigan, which they all do.

You could also do the same thing at Liverpool if you wished, but it would be a slower journey as you'd have to change at Lime Street and then Wigan.

Bangor -> Liverpool is £30.60 and allows any train, but no break of journey on this bit.
    Liverpool -> Penrith is £41.10 and allows any train, including break of journey at Oxenholme.

Total is £71.70.

7. Phil from Mon

Phil from Mon Member

THanks for these guys. Much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.