• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

W/S extra coach & speed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
At last evenings presentation to Shrewsbury/Chester line users(SCRUA)
one of Wrexham & Shropshire drivers, gave an excellent insight on driving from Wrexham to Marylebone, he stated due to the extra pick ups and set down at leamington and Banbury plus already heavy loadings a 4th standard coach is to be added to W/S trains. Also the afternoon train will return to Wrexham in place of the turnaround at Shrewsbury.
He also mentioned another 20 minutes was to be knocked of the off the
journey times & Wrexham to London could soon see a thee hour run.
The driver confirmed the W/S brand would remain under Chilterns ownership as would the fleet.
The illustrated talk was very upbeat & well presented,
The new hard copy All Wales franchise Dec 09 timetables were also available last evening

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
You wont get the 20 minutes until Evergreen 3 finishes, it isnt an overnight thing.

Pumbaa

Established Member
However, reading your post, you made it sound like it was to happen in the near future.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I actually think 20 minutes could be optimistic to be honest. There is nothing to be had north of Aynho and the paths are pretty much fixed there. Granted that the 67s will get full linespeed out of it, but from what Ive seen, they will still be following Chilterns in and out of Marylebone and will get pathed out. I dont think you will get more than 10 minutes Southbound. Northbound there is more to be had I think, probably around the 15 mark.

merlodlliw

Established Member
However, reading your post, you made it sound like it was to happen in the near future.

Yes I suppose I did, apologies. On a funny note, our speaker told us of a few passengers boarding the new refurb standard
coaches and thinking they were in first class, also he mentioned the 1830 down was now carrying well over 120 passengers ex Marylebone,
double that of the old eight o clock

Last edited:

williamn

I made my first trip with them recently, and the 12.17 ex marylebone and 08.27 from Telford were both busy, particularly the 12.17. I was disappointed with some aspects of the service but will email them about that.

MCR247

Established Member
I made my first trip with them recently, and the 12.17 ex marylebone and 08.27 from Telford were both busy, particularly the 12.17. I was disappointed with some aspects of the service but will email them about that.

Why? What went wrong?

williamn

Mainly small things. We travelled 1st class and the details were really lacking. Reservations either being made illogically - split not just across aisle but group split from one side of coach to another, or on return trip no reservations at all. No assistance from staff with above - just sat around chatting. Food very disappointing - mains tasteless and no veg served. Flooded toilets - etc etc.

I am extremely shocked at the above! I never reserve seats to be honest so I can't comment on that particular issue, but I have travelled standard on WSMR on a number of occasions, and First twice, and on all occasions I have found their staff to be absolutely amazing, and the food to be fantastic.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Mainly small things. We travelled 1st class and the details were really lacking. Reservations either being made illogically - split not just across aisle but group split from one side of coach to another, or on return trip no reservations at all. No assistance from staff with above - just sat around chatting. Food very disappointing - mains tasteless and no veg served. Flooded toilets - etc etc.

I am amazed at your comment. I always find W/S outstanding

Daimler

Established Member

Without wishing to sound like a parrot, I too am very surprised to hear this - flooded toilets perhaps a little less so, as the unrefurbished Mk3s are rather tired now (were you travelling on these, or the refurbished ones?). But the staff/food comment is quite astounding - certainly at odds with my experience of the company!

graham125hst

We travelled with W/S for a day out in September.

On the way down we went down in the old MK3 coaches, the staff were pretty great and the journey was really nice as well.

Coming back we were in the new refurbished coaches, the train was overfull which made us very gratefull for our reservations. The staff were nowhere near as good and the selection of food did not seem as good in the new catering facility. Also by the time the train had got to Wolverhampton there was only one toilet working on the whole train.

So overall while we would go again with them I am not sure it is worth the detour to get to Wrexham for us. So I imagine we will stay with Virgin dubious Pendolinos and all.

adrianboult

I also travelled with W/S three weeks ago and had the hot meal option in first class.
I was also nowhere near as impressed by the service and food as other people seem to have been on here - though everyone is allowed an off day and this must have been their one!
The main course was tepid - and I sent this back for reheating.The veg looked like they had seen better days too.
There was also only one loo in operation and there was a leak in the roof of the buffet carriage which soaked the floors leading up to first class which was just left like this throughout the journey. The carriage in general could have done with a good clean.
This was a shame because I have heard nothing but excellent reports about them up to now.

tbtc

Veteran Member
If there was a National Express/ Cross Country service with only one working toilet, you can bet there'd be a couple of threads about it on here...

steve099

If there was a National Express/ Cross Country service with only one working toilet, you can bet there'd be a couple of threads about it on here...
I guess the difference in loadings probably explain that.

On my last journey with them I did a national passenger survey. I was a little disappointed it wasn't an internal questionnaire. While I have not experienced the first class food, the 'standard class' buffet food is generally poor. I also don't get why some of the smelliest food is on the menu.. bacon baps? Sausage baps? The sandwiches are also relatively poor considering the prices.

It annoys me greatly to hear the often incorrect advice given by the team on journeys into London re Travelcards, Oyster cards. For god's sake pick up some guides to Oyster from TfL and distribute them on board.

I also rated them as a clean operator due to their usual policy of coming through the train for rubbish several times during the journey. They did not do so on this journey, making my top score somewhat obsolete.

The last few journeys, announcements for the next station have been shouted out to passengers when the tannoy is evidently working. WHY?

robert2000

im using wsmr on thursday 26th for a day out in london

do you know which timetabled services are the refurbished train, or does it vary?

williamn

Think its random - was unlucky enough to get old set both times! 3rd refurb set is starting soon I think.

There is one advantage to the old stock - they have a hob and can fry eggs - which they can't on the new stock!

merlodlliw

Established Member

I mentioned it to W/S staff , got this responce

We have read through the latest items on this particular forum and have already passed on the comments to relevant people within our company to ensure we take the necessary actions in relation to faulty toilets, reservations and catering. We were very surprised to read the negative comment about the food as we pride ourselves on first class catering and, indeed, many of our customers give us wonderful feedback but we assure you we are never complacent and will continue to strive to offer the very best levels of customer service and catering on board our Wrexham and Shropshire trains.

If you have any specific item on the forum you would like a personal response to please let us know and we will ensure we deal with your query as soon as possible.

Regards.

Customer Services

Wrexham and Shropshire

Banbury ICC
Merton Street
Banbury
Oxon
OX16 4RN

Status
Not open for further replies.