• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WAG Express 20 May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a brilliant journey from Cardiff to Shrewsbury today on the WAG Express - the first time I've done this journey in daylight. Arriva's 57313 at the front.

At Cardiff a man behind me on the phone - "Yes I'm on the train. And it's a proper train, with a loco!" Damn right! :D

The conductor was very excited about things. Kept reminding passengers on the announcer that "we will NOT be calling at Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow, Craven Arms or Church Stretton. We are going straight to Shrewsbury after Abergavenny." Hear hear!

"We are now approaching Crewe." *pause* "Er... no! Sorry! Cwmbran!" :lol: :roll:

The run was brilliant - no breakdowns, failures of any kind, plenty of seats (but hardly empty), clean, buffet car in full stock, etc, and we did a continuous run at full speed from Hereford to Marshbrook, where we had to stop as we were ahead of schedule! Storming through Ludlow and you realise how sharp that curve is there!

The icing on the cake for me was seeing 97301 at Coleham depot on the way into Shrewsbury.

salopsub.jpg

Arrived at Shrewsbury a bit early, despite having to stop at Marshbrook. Wish more train journeys would be like this in Britain... and I fear that the WAG Express will not survive for much longer. If anyone has not travelled on it, I suggest strongly they do! :) In the end it's a loco-hauled regular passenger train service, with first class available, slam-door stock, running express through the scenic Welsh Marches, with semaphore signalling and other "heritage line" features. A great journey to do on a summer afternoon.

Holyhead 05:32
Bangor 06:02
Llandudno Junction 06:21
Chester 07:08
Crewe 07:35
Shrewsbury 08:09
Newport 09:40
Cardiff 09:58

Cardiff 16:15
Newport 16:29
Shrewsbury 18:05
Crewe 18:42
Chester 19:06
Llandudno Junction 19:52
Bangor 22:09
Holyhead 20:49

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Can't agree more! I did it in the middle of Winter, when it was dark most of the way, but still enjoyed it, but i'll be doing it again some time in the summer. Proper train indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.