• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wagon hits bridge in the Wigan area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul’s

It was reported in the Manchester evening news. Local services were delayed in the Wigan area. After a van hits a bridge in the Wigan area.
Rail bosses comments was..
Rail bosses say they are "seriously peeved" after a van got stuck under a bridge
The incident in Wigan this afternoon held up traffic and caused some delays on the local train.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rail-bosses-say-seriously-peeved-16550847?utm_source=men_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_MENNews_Nletter_DailyNews_News_smallteaser_Text_Story4&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was reported in the Manchester evening news. Local services were delayed in the Wigan area. After a van hits a bridge in the Wigan area.
Rail bosses comments was..
Rail bosses say they are "seriously peeved" after a van got stuck under a bridge
The incident in Wigan this afternoon held up traffic and caused some delays on the local train.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/rail-bosses-say-seriously-peeved-16550847?utm_source=men_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=EM_MENNews_Nletter_DailyNews_News_smallteaser_Text_Story4&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter

Bridge strikes happen everyday - not newsworthy!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Bridge strikes happen everyday - not newsworthy!
Yup- it's about 4-5 across the network daily, newsworthy in whatever local area it is (as it causes disruption to the rail and road networks) but beyond that... not.

Bigfoot

A van isn't a wagon either. Definitely not on a railway oriented forum.

Paul’s

So my next question, is what happens to the scheduling of the route, is the the damaged bridge check out. To see if it could still handle rail traffic.

Quakkerillo

A structural engineer / Network Rail operative will come round to assess the damage done by the truck to the bridge structure, and its strength.
Depending on the damage, they'll need a closer look, or they open it for traffic immediately. It's luckily most cases that the main structure is completely undamaged, and only some superficial scraping / little bits of stone are damaged.

CHAPS2034

Isn't the important point that NR have tweeted that they are "seriously peeved". Or is it quite normal for NR to use this type of terminology?

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailMAN/status/1148232598201806848

Bridge bashes get us seriously peeved
1f621.png
1f621.png
1f621.png
They delay train passengers and motorists. And they’re completely avoidable. Drivers - please KNOW the height of your vehicles. Don’t just guess.

furnessvale

Established Member
The one who should be seriously peeved should be the van driver when he receives a claim for NR for the FULL cost of the incident (£100,000s) which his insurance may, or may not cover.

SN1 19-5

Near to where I live, there is a bridge that used to get hit a few times.

I think the last but one hit was a Weetabix wagon. There were bix's all over the place!

I did get stuck behind another hit a bit later, dunno what that was. I went on the unofficial "detour" to avoid the queue..

AndrewE

Established Member
Another one today, not in Wigan but in Edinburgh... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49166689
I think it's an interesting development (maybe unprecedented) but in Scotland a
bus driver has been charged after the roof of a double-decker was ripped off when it hit a railway bridge in West Lothian.
And not before time.
I don't know whether Network rail does bother to go after insurance companies for the costs of bridge strikes though. "Must cover" only applies if a claim is made against the driver...

TheSel

Another one today, not in Wigan but in Edinburgh... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49166689
I think it's an interesting development (maybe unprecedented) but in Scotland a
And not before time.
I don't know whether Network rail does bother to go after insurance companies for the costs of bridge strikes though. "Must cover" only applies if a claim is made against the driver...

We need to be careful because the driver has been CHARGED, rather than found guilty, but I would argue that by looking at the photos, the driver was about 70% successful in getting the vehicle under the bridge. When I was at school, 70% would have got me a decent O-Level pass! :oops:

AndrewE

Established Member
But even this is an unusually prompt action, it's interesting because I can't ever remember such a prompt police action - in England anyway.
A van isn't a wagon either. Definitely not on a railway oriented forum.
...apart from the fact that my (railway) colleagues who hailed from Wigan habitually referred to lorries as wagons. Local useage and all that.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I can't speak for England & Wales but in Scotland its certainly not unprecedented for a driver to be charged with an offence and reported to the PF after a bridge strike. In fact it's more or less routine.

sw1ller

Established Member
But even this is an unusually prompt action, it's interesting because I can't ever remember such a prompt police action - in England anyway.
...apart from the fact that my (railway) colleagues who hailed from Wigan habitually referred to lorries as wagons. Local useage and all that.
Lorries and wagons are the same thing.... neither is a van though.

Bigfoot

Lorries and wagons are the same thing.... neither is a van though.

Precisely, it is an iveco box van. Even the Manchester evening news got the 'van' bit right, which is a stretch for the usual clickbate poor reporting which is commonplace from the trinity mirror group of newspapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.