• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield Kirkgate Redevelopment

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
So I look back on the year 2014 and a fair few major developments spring to mind :-

-A new station building for Wakefield Westgate station (OK, strictly December 2013!)

-The long awaited new bus station for Castleford is looking to shape up nicely from what I saw at the weekend, seems to be on schedule for a Spring 2015 opening

-Leeds southern entrance seems to be well underway now

...And then I arrive at Wakefield Kirkgate station this afternoon and it still looks as if a bomb has hit the site, it just feels as if it is moving nowhere fast! I'm sure there are little bits being done here and there but they seem to be spending an awful lot of time on the one project when others are done and dusted with (In fact, it probably took them less time to build the brand new Leeds Trinity shopping centre from scratch! :lol: )

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I passed through Kirkgate yesterday and it looked to have some progress on p1 - glass has appeared in windows!

anti-pacer

Established Member
So I look back on the year 2014 and a fair few major developments spring to mind :-

-A new station building for Wakefield Westgate station (OK, strictly December 2013!)

-The long awaited new bus station for Castleford is looking to shape up nicely from what I saw at the weekend, seems to be on schedule for a Spring 2015 opening

-Leeds southern entrance seems to be well underway now

...And then I arrive at Wakefield Kirkgate station this afternoon and it still looks as if a bomb has hit the site, it just feels as if it is moving nowhere fast! I'm sure there are little bits being done here and there but they seem to be spending an awful lot of time on the one project when others are done and dusted with (In fact, it probably took them less time to build the brand new Leeds Trinity shopping centre from scratch! :lol: )

You should arrive there at 6.20am each morning and it looks like a bomb site from all the crap that's been left there by the local scrotes.

You're absolutely right though, this project seems to be taking an eternity. What's more, the antisocial behaviour that happens each night will only lead to vandalism of the refurbished station, because guess what, it still ain't going to be staffed! There's been sexual assaults at that station late at night, and it's the one reason I won't use Grand Central on a day trip to London. Getting back there on a Saturday evening in the dark isn't a nice thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.