• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales round trip advice sought - thanks.

MattyH

Hello, I hope it's ok to ask the cognoscenti here for advice. Last year I did a trip that you will all have done, London - Leeds - Settle - Carlisle - Glasgow - Mallaig - Kyle of Lochalsh - Inverrness - London. I want to do something similar in Wales. What are the thoughts on London - Swansea - Shrewsbury - Abergavenny - Pwllheli - Blaenau Ffestiniog - Llandudno - Rhyl - Chester - Shrewsbury - London.

It's views out of the window I am after, and maybe a pint or two along the way.

The only heritage railway part is the Blaenau Ffestiniog line. Am I being stupid not going Porthmadog to Caernarfon? The main reason is, I want to do this on a weekend and this service goes Sat/Tues/Thurs. But if you think I am being stupid, I'll do it.

And, are there other heritage rails I should try and take because of scenery?

Thanks for any help/advice, it's much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

I assume you mean Aberystwyth not Abergavenny?

The main heritage railway in the area is Blaneau-Porthmadog-Caernarfon. You will have to change at Porthmadog if you want to do the full route. The caernarfon portion is more infrequent. Both sections are worth doing, but I understand it is a bit awkward to timetable everything in.

The Cambrian Coast is the nicest NR line in that region, do go to Pwllheli if the schedule allows. Heart of Wales is nice in parts also.

Another option to consider: leave the Conwy Valley at Betws y coed and catch a bus over the Snowdon mountain pass to Caernarfon (S1). That's very scenic.

There are also some nice coastal views between Llandudno and Bangor.

A lot of what you plan to do is infrequent. If the scheduling proves tricky, I would consider removing Aberystwyth.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Would the "Explore Wales" 4 days in 8 travel pass at £109 be suitable / good value for what the OP is considering? If so, what's exactly is covered, and also, what's not?

peterblue

Would the "Explore Wales" 4 days in 8 travel pass at £109 be suitable / good value for what the OP is considering? If so, what's exactly is covered, and also, what's not?
There usually are advances available on the rural TFW routes, so much cheaper than that I'd imagine. Depends how much the OP wants to stop off.

There are regional rovers too e.g. one for the Cambrian.

I believe there is also a ffestiniog round robin ticket additionally allowing travel on the ffestiniog railway (one way)

MattyH

I'm really sorry, I did mean Aberystwyth. The Porthmadog to Caernarfon service is one a day at 10.05 on Sat/Tues/Thurs and I'm trying to do this at the weekend, and so the S1 bus idea looks fantastic. Thank you.

DelW

Established Member
I'm really sorry, I did mean Aberystwyth. The Porthmadog to Caernarfon service is one a day at 10.05 on Sat/Tues/Thurs and I'm trying to do this at the weekend, and so the S1 bus idea looks fantastic. Thank you.
If the FR and WHR timetables don't suit your plans, there are relatively frequent local bus services from Porthmadog to Caernarfon and then to Bangor, plus the Trawscymru T2 direct bus.

railfan99

Established Member
Heart of Wales is nice in parts also.

Consider this line for a future trip: late in 2023, I started at Pembroke Dock and then changed at Llanelli. I found it very scenic most of the way. It was unhurried: one railway enthusiast went halfway and quickly boarded his return train. Light patronage but a few more boarded as we got closer to Shrewsbury.