• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking and Rambling discussion

themeone

Last week I did the Wandle Trail from Croydon as far as Earlsfield (about 10 miles). It's a good walk in many ways - nearly all flat, mostly quite scenic, and being within the London area easy to abandon if the weather turns bad. Although you can follow the trail up to the Wandle's confluence with the Thames at Wandsworth, the riverside path as such comes to an end at Earlsfield and you don't see much more of the river until the end.

Sometime soon I also plan to do the Ravensbourne Way from Kent House to Greenwich. Funnily enough this walk suffers from the same disadvantage as the Wandle Trail, with the river at the end section being mostly inaccessible although there is a route right up to the Thames for those who are determined.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sometime soon I also plan to do the Ravensbourne Way from Kent House to Greenwich. Funnily enough this walk suffers from the same disadvantage as the Wandle Trail, with the river at the end section being mostly inaccessible although there is a route right up to the Thames for those who are determined.
Is that a another name for the Waterlink Way, or a totally different walk?

davews

Last week I did the Wandle Trail from Croydon as far as Earlsfield (about 10 miles). It's a good walk in many ways - nearly all flat, mostly quite scenic, and being within the London area easy to abandon if the weather turns bad. Although you can follow the trail up to the Wandle's confluence with the Thames at Wandsworth, the riverside path as such comes to an end at Earlsfield and you don't see much more of the river until the end.
We seem to be following each other's footsteps.... I did it Wednesday and the previous Tuesday, splitting it at Mitcham Junction as I am an oldie..... What struck me is that most of the way how rural it is. Toying up whether to do the last couple of miles to the river, from what you say it is hardly worth it.
Blogged at http://davesergeant.com/walks2023/wandle.htm

ChrisC

Established Member
I did a riverside walk by the River Trent on Saturday. It was a fairly warm sunny day and that part of Nottinghamshire missed the showers that affected many parts of the country. I walked approximately 7 miles from Long Eaton to Beeston Lock but the walk could be extended a further 4 miles into Nottingham. The walk began quite close to Long Eaton station and if the whole route was completed into Nottingham ends close to Nottingham station. I‘ve walked the section between Beeston Lock and Nottingham many times, both by canal and the river, so ended my walk at Beeston on Saturday. As it was a rail strike day I travelled from home to Long Eaton by bus and back from Beeston Lock at the end of my walk. When doing relatively local walks I try to leave my car at home and travel by public transport, but it took me almost 2 hours by bus to travel to the start of the walk and the same at the end to travel home. Both journeys I could have completed in less than 30 minutes by car.

My walk began just north of Long Eaton station where the Erewash Canal passes under main road from the town centre to the station. Once I started walking by the canal it felt very rural and a complete contrast to urban sprawl that I had travelled though by bus from Nottingham to reach here. A short walk along the canal took me to Trent Lock with its numerous canalside eating and drinking places. At Trent Lock, with the River Trent in front of me, I turned left to walk along the side of the short Cranfleet Canal to where it joins the river at Cranfleet Lock. This section of the walk passes underneath the MML just south of Trent Junction.

The rest of the walk along the side of the River Trent is a lovely scenic stretch of the river, which is a well surfaced footpath/cycle trail with the river to your right and the extensive Attenborough Nature Reserve to to left. I must park up some time in the car park at Trent Lock or Attenborough Nature Reserve and do a cycle ride in the area. The river here meanders with many large loops taking you quite a distance south of the main urban areas between Long Eaton and Nottingham, into
a very rural location with views of the villages of Thrumpton and Barton in Fabis on the other bank of the river. I had forgotten just how far south west of Nottingham the river flows through its loops on this section and interesting to approach this area along the north bank of the river.

The last couple of miles to Beeston Lock is actually within the Attenborough Nature Reserve and was a busier section with many walkers and cyclists. At Beeston Lock there are quite a selection of riverside eating and drinking places with tables outside. I walked past most of these and stopped for a cup of tea and some delicious cheesecake in the garden at the tearoom in the old buildings right next to the lock and weir on the river. A nice place to sit as I had around 40 minutes to wait for a bus into Nottingham for first part of my journey home.

Attachments

• IMG_5278.jpeg
    IMG_5278.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5287.jpeg
    IMG_5287.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5277.jpeg
    IMG_5277.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5276.jpeg
    IMG_5276.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

themeone

We seem to be following each other's footsteps.... I did it Wednesday and the previous Tuesday, splitting it at Mitcham Junction as I am an oldie..... What struck me is that most of the way how rural it is. Toying up whether to do the last couple of miles to the river, from what you say it is hardly worth it.
Blogged at http://davesergeant.com/walks2023/wandle.htm
I've just looked at your blog which is very interesting. I normally start the walk at Waddon station, although that means you miss the river flowing through Wandle Park. Re Beddington Park, you're right that it's difficult to follow the river through the woodland in the park, which can get very muddy - I normally do a slight detour entering the Park via Church Path where it's footpaths all the way.

You're also right about the signage sometimes being a bit lacking, but I find that's true of nearly all these walks!

I would recommend doing the last bit of the walk from Earlsfield to Wandsworth at least once, you may disagree with my assessment after all - it's actually quite a short stretch done by itself.

Is that a another name for the Waterlink Way, or a totally different walk?
Yes it's the same walk!

Ediswan

Established Member

Dartmoor wild camping to resume after appeal win​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66341778
The public can 'wild camp' in Dartmoor again without landowners' permission after the National Park Authority won their appeal case.
In the summary judgement, confirming victory for the charities, Lord Justice Underhill said that wild camping "plainly fell" within the definition of open air recreation as many people "took pleasure in the experience of sleeping in a tent in open country".

S&CLER

I led the Southport Ramblers "A" walk from Newbiggin on Lune (near the former Ravenstonedale station) to Ravenstonedale via the Potts valley, Crosby Garrett and Smardale on Sunday. Loads of pictures on their public Facebook group. We were unable to walk over the old Smardale Gill viaduct, as it is currently under repair, but the permissive diversionary path to Smardale bridge gives better views in any case than you would get from the viaduct itself. The photo shows Smardale station, now a beautifully restored private house, though photo opportunities from the bridge are a bit limited by the luxuriant garden; apologies for the poor quality, but I was using my "recce camera", an old Casio pocket camera which I use to take pictures of waymarks when I am doing a recce, as an aide-memoire. I like the time-stamp feature, which enables me to see how long I took from one waymark to another. I would like to be able to print out a contact sheet of thumbnail images in correct sequence, to carry with me, but as I only have a black and white Brother printer/copier/scanner/fax, it's a bit moot until I invest in a colour printer. That won't be for a while, as I'v e just bought a new toner cartridge. Any advice on a suitable printer for colour photographic work would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    708.7 KB · Views: 13

Kite159

Veteran Member
Friday I walked the Leeds & Liverpool Canal from Sandhills [linking up with a section I did in April 2022] towards Maghull station (coming across a very handy One Stop shop located a stones throw from the station as I was running low on water). Decent towpath quality (mostly all hard surface, with some areas where it was breaking up and some loose stones), a few places which were narrow & had low trees. Interesting for the changing from industry at the Sandhills end to residential then more rural countryside [at the Maghull end]

Saturday due to the wet weather, all I managed to do was the short (ish) walk from Bamber Bridge towards Preston going via the old railway line path, switching to the Old Tram Road where the paths meet near Factory Lane. I suspect it won't be until next year I return to finish doing that walk, maybe extending it southwards from Bamber Bridge towards Buckshaw (via Cuerden Valley Park)

Sunday was another long canal walk, this time along the Bridgwater Canal starting from Navigation Road station heading towards Runcorn East station, some beautiful Cheshire countryside. Path started as solid ground but soon turned more grassy/dried dirt so one which probably isn't worth trying to do during winter months as I suspect parts of the towpath would get muddy. I dread to think how many times I've been underneath that canal in the Preston Brook area (near to where it meets up with the Trent & Mersey Canal)

THC

Portimão to Lagos, 15.5 miles. A bit of everything on the walk between the two largest towns in western Algarve, starting by one river and finishing by another with both old and new Portugal in between. A lovely day for it!

THC

Attachments

• IMG_20230815_124059027_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230815_124059027_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230815-140123.png
    Screenshot_20230815-140123.png
    711.6 KB · Views: 9

dangie

Established Member
On a walking holiday in the Dolomites. We currently have an apocalyptic thunderstorm. Strangely it's these frequent summer alpine thunderstorms which add to the enjoyment of the holiday. Fortunately most occur late afternoon or evening when you're safely back in the hotel.

THC

Lagos to Burgau, 11 miles. The start of the Rota Vicentina, which goes all the way to Sagres and then up the west coast of Portugal. I'm neither a fan of heights nor cliff walking, so what possessed me to do this I don't know. The views just about made all the stress worthwhile though!

THC

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_124108204.jpg
    IMG_20230818_124108204.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230818_140108940.jpg
    IMG_20230818_140108940.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230818_161430554.jpg
    IMG_20230818_161430554.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230818-170000.png
    Screenshot_20230818-170000.png
    522.1 KB · Views: 11

fandroid

Established Member
We stayed in Burgau a couple of times many years ago and were really impressed with the coastal walk possibilities then. A beautiful coast and hopefully it hasn't been much more developed since as I think they'd already called a halt to development on that western part of the Algarve.

THC

We stayed in Burgau a couple of times many years ago and were really impressed with the coastal walk possibilities then. A beautiful coast and hopefully it hasn't been much more developed since as I think they'd already called a halt to development on that western part of the Algarve.
There's quite a bit of development going on around Lagos but it ends at Porta da Mos and, Praia da Luz apart, it's all wild from there to Burgau. Long may it remain.

In Dalto, GA there is a 3.6 mile trail round the local lake. Staying on the path is recommended to avoid snakes though.
No snakes where I am thankfully!

THC

S&CLER

I had a very good walk, not led by me, on Sunday with Southport Walking and Social Club, 8.9 miles from Aira Force up round Glencoyne and then down to Glenridding. Fabulous views in spite of the rather dull weather for the first half of the walk. The path from Aira to the head of Glencoyne is rather too narrow for comfortable wallkig, but worth the effort. The descent to Glenridding involves a series of zig-zags with rather loose stony surface. This Saturday I was hoping to get the train to Acton Bridge and do a walk towards Frodsham, returning along the Weaver, but the rail strikes will rule that out. It's a nuisance because I am rarely free to go out in the week, with commitments every day this week. Next Sunday I will lead a good walk from Berry Brow to Holmfirth via Honley woods, Meltham Mills, Slate Pits wood, Upperthong and Netherthong.

Attachments

• P8200032.JPG
    P8200032.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
Just returned from a week in Corvara in the Italian Dolomites. Having spent many walking holidays in the Austrian & Swiss Alps this was the first time in the Dolomites. Just one word….. WOW…….

Ok the weather was good, which helps wherever you go, but the scenery was totally amazing. Totally different from the Alps.

We hadn’t planned on a foreign holiday for this year, but a last minute offer email appeared which was very appealing so we went for it. So glad we did. We are already looking to book the same place again for next year.

_toommm_

Established Member
One of my favourites for a sunny day, Scarborough to Whitby on the Cleveland Way. Managed to beat my last time, doing it in 6h20m, burning 3,100 Calories. Definitely made me feel less guilty about the fish and chips and pints after!

(Apologies about the lens flare on the photos, my camera is pretty smashed up)IMG_2852.jpegIMG_2854.jpegIMG_2875.jpegIMG_2892.jpegIMG_2839.jpeg

Kite159

Veteran Member
On bank holiday Monday I walked from Sandwell & Dudley towards Walsall, mainly along the Walsall Canal (plus part of the Wednesbury Old Canal). One thing which struck me is the near complete lack of boats, either on the move or moored up. A handful of British Waterways (or whatever they are calling themselves this week) engineering vessels/unpowered barges, plus an old sunken boat near Walsall wharf. Just over ten miles (but that included a couple of small detours along some of the old arms). Reminded me of when I walked the Grand Union + Tame Valley Canal, hardly anything moored up with only a couple of hire boats moving.

Complete contrast to some of the other canals I've walked.

Towpath started a bit rough, but it did improve once onto the Walsall canal itself. Ranging from industrial, residential & even some rural, from quiet to noisy (when the canal runs close to the Black Country Road).

dangie

Established Member
On bank holiday Monday I walked from Sandwell & Dudley towards Walsall, mainly along the Walsall Canal (plus part of the Wednesbury Old Canal). One thing which struck me is the near complete lack of boats, either on the move or moored up.….
One of my local walks which I do most weeks involves a 2 mile section of the Trent & Mersey Canal near Rugeley. Over the summer there has definitely appeared to be less boat traffic than is usually the case during the summer holiday period.

Iskra

Established Member
I got up at 0200 to do Scafell Pike today, we started from Wasdale Head heading up the valley and skirting under Great Gable and the valley under Great End before crossing the ridge. It was a pleasant walk. That completes the highest peak of each mainland UK nation for me now :)

Best of all however, was the drive over…

IMG_2483.jpegIMG_2508.jpegIMG_2545.jpegIMG_2507.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2548.jpeg
    IMG_2548.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2555.jpeg
    IMG_2555.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2557.jpeg
    IMG_2557.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4

johnnychips

Established Member
^ Absolutely! Is that a phone or a professional camera? They are superb and are actually inspiring me to make a trip up there before it gets too dark.

Cletus

Established Member
I was thinking of a doing a walk between Wandsworth and Chiswick, maybe make a weekend of it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Two days of decent weather so back to walking, trying to build my strength back up

Saturday when on an East Yorkshire Round Robin to sample some 68s, I walked the old railway route from Market Weighton towards Beverley (the Hudson Way). Path condition was very variable but one walk which probably is best avoided in the winter months as some areas would get muddy (it was already showing signs of mud in some places). A couple of the old stations platforms remain in situ with an old signal box.

Market Weighton is served by the half hourly Hull - Beverley - York bus route, quite nice from the York direction once outside the city. Although I had an extended wait at Beverley due to Northern being Northern and cancelling a Scarborough service.

Sunday was the canal towpath from Leeds to Shipley (late notice switch from doing Wakefield - Castleford). Decent quality towpath throughout (one which you could use all year round, couple places where it was rougher where a cycle path ran along a parallel path away from the canal). Couple places where the canal towpath runs alongside the railway line potentially allowing for photos. Changing scenery with some nice woodland.

One section between App Bridge & Shipley ran close to a sewage works which did smell though.

(also the week before I did Starcross towards Teignmouth via the Coastal path, beautiful views on the Teignmouth sea wall, better than Dawlish in my eyes.

THC

I was thinking of a doing a walk between Wandsworth and Chiswick, maybe make a weekend of it. Anyone have any thoughts?
You'll do it in half a day on the Thames Path.

THC

---

North Weald to Chelmsford, 17.5 miles. A vintage start to the day on the Epping Ongar Railway and then a walk from North Weald back to Chelmsford through Moreton, Fyfield, Willingale and Writtle. A fabulous day out.

THC

Attachments

• 1000011564.jpg
    1000011564.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 5
  • 1000011570.jpg
    1000011570.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 7
  • 1000011667.png
    1000011667.png
    952.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 1000011565.jpg
    1000011565.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I got a bit carried away on Saturday and ended up walking 23.9 miles from Croy station to Bowling station along the Forth & Clyde Canal. Pretty much all tarmac, with some beautiful views (all the hills) and trees. Wasn't even that bad in the Glasgow area itself. Some unusual bascule style bridges, the Dalmuir Drop Lock & a sliding bridge. Probably the last "mega" walk I will do this year with the nights drawing in.

Then on Sunday did the walk from Gilshochill (Maryhill line) into Glasgow city centre, following the "Glasgow Arm" of the canal

THC

I got a bit carried away on Saturday and ended up walking 23.9 miles from Croy station to Bowling station along the Forth & Clyde Canal. Pretty much all tarmac, with some beautiful views (all the hills) and trees. Wasn't even that bad in the Glasgow area itself. Some unusual bascule style bridges, the Dalmuir Drop Lock & a sliding bridge. Probably the last "mega" walk I will do this year with the nights drawing in.

Then on Sunday did the walk from Gilshochill (Maryhill line) into Glasgow city centre, following the "Glasgow Arm" of the canal

A fine effort! It's a very interesting walk, as is the arm to Port Dundas. I did it back in 2015 as part of a four-dayer along the canals from Edinburgh to Dumbarton. Thoroughly enjoyable, apart perhaps from finding myself the lone Celtic fan in a pub full of bluenoses while staying in Kilsyth!

THC

Kite159

Veteran Member
A fine effort! It's a very interesting walk, as is the arm to Port Dundas. I did it back in 2015 as part of a four-dayer along the canals from Edinburgh to Dumbarton. Thoroughly enjoyable, apart perhaps from finding myself the lone Celtic fan in a pub full of bluenoses while staying in Kilsyth!

THC
Does the towpath remain as tarmac throughout? Next section might be Croy towards Polmont maybe extending to Linlithgow