• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

War Planes - Birmingham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WM Bus

Wander what the giant modern war planes flying over Birmingham during the past few weeks is about - during the coronavirus lockdown. I've seen them on about 10 separate occasions flying over Ward End, Birmingham today.
Never used to see them before, but now they seem to be constantly in the sky on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGarner

Wander what the giant modern war planes flying over Birmingham during the past few weeks is about - during the coronavirus lockdown. I've seen them on about 10 separate occasions flying over Ward End, Birmingham today.
Never used to see them before, but now they seem to be constantly in the sky on a regular basis.

Thanks to the empty skies these days over the UK - The RAF has been able to do a lot of training at various different airports across the UK.

darloscott

There was a C17 doing circuits at Birmingham and a few other airports today, all routine training, no doubt taking advantage of quieter airports to get around the country a bit. I wonder if there's a background of revenue being spread equally from navigation and ATC fees to airports across the country.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've heard a lot more military planes in York recently; I'd guess taking off from RAF Leeming?

thejuggler

We have had the same over Leeds. Brize Norton based A400m using other airports for training. To be fair it happens all year round.

Silverlinky

I've heard of RAF planes doing touch-and-goes at Luton, Birmingham and Manchester....all in the name of training.

RichT54

On one occasion in the early 80s when I was on temporary (civilian) detached duty at RAF Chivenor, it was announced at the morning briefing that a couple of fast jet pilots had somehow managed to get permission to do some touch-and-goes at Heathrow in the middle of the night. However, when they got there, they flew down the runway at great speed and at the end, stood their planes on their tails and pulled up into a vertical climb, wrecking the noise monitoring equipment in the process. The authorities were not best pleased.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

They could be flying in PPE for the NHS from the likes of Turkey and China.

Established Member
3 planes went to Instanbul last week when ever it was, tracked on the site I mentioned above.
Whether they brought the right stuff back is another matter.
Which is completely separate to the training flights being operated around UK Airports.

They could be flying in PPE for the NHS from the likes of Turkey and China.

That’s being done on civilian passenger airliners and freight planes.
Dozens those of flights have been taking place since late March.

The RAF training flights at civilian airports are much higher and more widespread than normal.
I wonder if there’s any element of familiarisation taking place, in case a full national emergency occurs?

Status
Not open for further replies.