• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warning Ducks, and other strange roadsign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosxuk

Established Member
That's just a modern variation of the old "NO..." sign that used to be used on the entry to motorways. There are several similar examples on the entrances to other special roads which the A14 is just one of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lost property

Animal warning signs do just as they state on the tin. They provide a "warning" Triangular signs provide a warning to motorists.

Drivers tend to swerve to avoid animals. This can, and does, cause accidents. Having the warning gives motorists a heads up. Forewarned, is forearmed and all that jazz.

Where I live we get a lot of Deer warning signs. I believe there is Deer/Wild animals, Horses (wild/ridden), Ducks/Wildfowl, and Migratory frogs.

My wildlife knowledge isn't great but I would assume that the frog one is because in some locations you get mass migration ? I doubt its anything like the Red Crabs but most likely, enough to cause a concern to motorists.
Well if you are in the vicinity of Cannock Chase / A513 / Birches Valley / Marquis Drive / Penk.bank rd, there are plenty of official and unofficial signs warning of deer and deer collisions....not that this stops the eedjits thinking the area is called Le-Mans, or Silverstone and driving as if it is.

Davyhulme hospital used to have unofficial duck crossing signs.

For a railway interest, many may know the George 111 at Penmaenpool pub....the ducks could be happily seen wandering along in front of the pub, however, pure coincidence I'm sure, the menu also had....several duck dishes !

I have been mugged by a duck at Annadale Services on the M74....followed me from the buildings to my vehicle...and got what she wanted...a bit of my blueberry muffin !

I'm sure there was an old style road sign, in use, in Cheadle (Gtr Manchester) for many years. There again, being Cheadle, the local estate agent had probably slapped a preservation order on it so they could inflate the house prices...

MP33

On the entrance to one of the flyovers on the A13 there used be on a totem pole.

40 MPH speed limit
No Vehicles over 10t
No Overtaking
No Pedestrians
No Bicycles
No Horse Drawn Vehicles
No Stopping

The exile

Established Member
My wildlife knowledge isn't great but I would assume that the frog one is because in some locations you get mass migration ? I doubt its anything like the Red Crabs but most likely, enough to cause a concern to motorists.
Hope I’m not putting anyone off their food but mating toads are oblivious to anything else and do often migrate en masses. Freshly squashed, they are very slippery!

scragend

Thought this one might have been posted before now.

If there are goats on the road I'm not sure why it matters whether they are feral or not. They still make a mess if you hit them.

Attachments

• A87_Feral_Goats.jpg
    A87_Feral_Goats.jpg
    946 KB · Views: 72

philthetube

Established Member
Thought this one might have been posted before now.

If there are goats on the road I'm not sure why it matters whether they are feral or not. They still make a mess if you hit them.
never have worked out how the goats know that they only should be on the road for the next 2 miles.

jon0844

Veteran Member
never have worked out how the goats know that they only should be on the road for the next 2 miles.

Bet they won't like being called feral either. Presumably if someone stops to take a photo or feed them, they've every right to kick off.

Ediswan

Established Member
At a guess, shows there is no point spending time trying to inform a farmer that some of their livestock has gone for a wander.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
On the entrance to one of the flyovers on the A13 there used be on a totem pole.

40 MPH speed limit
No Vehicles over 10t
No Overtaking
No Pedestrians
No Bicycles
No Horse Drawn Vehicles
No Stopping
No problem for ducks to use it through.
Bet they won't like being called feral either. Presumably if someone stops to take a photo or feed them, they've every right to kick off.
They'll just tell you to butt out.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I think it's ridiculous. They have signs warning about flipping ducks, and yet I know someone who happened to fail his driving test because he stopped for a cat, which is against the Highway Code - you're supposed to keep driving apparently and only stop for a dog, or something like that. Priorities need to be in order there. I'd consider it far worse to hit a cat than a duck.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I think it's ridiculous. They have signs warning about flipping ducks, and yet I know someone who happened to fail his driving test because he stopped for a cat, which is against the Highway Code - you're supposed to keep driving apparently and only stop for a dog, or something like that. Priorities need to be in order there. I'd consider it far worse to hit a cat than a duck.
The sign is warning you that ducks are in the area, not mandating that you stop for them. Also, ducks are far more likely to be airborne than cats, so are more likely to damage your windscreen or give you a nasty shock rather than a cat where many people do not even realise they have hit the animal.
Are you suggesting that we should also be warning of cats, or that we shouldn't give a warning because you can also hit other things?

MattA7

Another interesting roads apparently to mark a famous (or infamous as the case maybe) battlefield

FC408C77-E59F-45CE-B58E-DF5F6F39C251.jpeg
Image of a directional road sign depicting two crossed swords

D6130

Established Member
Somewhere in Scotland? Presume it's a stock photo.
It's somewhere pretty mountainous....but surely not Glencoe? That wasn't a battle....it was a massacre of unarmed civilians by soldiers for whom they had supplied food and shelter for the night. Perhaps the sign means 'Beware of sword dancers'? ;)

Which battle was that?
I wondered about Glenshiel (https://www.google.com/maps/@57.164...6F_RySiMUIybUvqetqrw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en). Is that famous enough, though? And it doesn't look quite right, although maybe the different camera angle and level of zoom could account for that.

It looks too mountainous for Culloden. Killiecrankie, maybe?

Mention of battles reminds me of the 'Tank crossing' signs on some of the roads across Salisbury Plain: https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/...th-1600-stolen-salisbury-plain-training-area/

MattA7

I wondered about Glenshiel (https://www.google.com/maps/@57.164...6F_RySiMUIybUvqetqrw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en). Is that famous enough, though? And it doesn't look quite right, although maybe the different camera angle and level of zoom could account for that.

It looks too mountainous for Culloden. Killiecrankie, maybe?

Mention of battles reminds me of the 'Tank crossing' signs on some of the roads across Salisbury Plain: https://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/...th-1600-stolen-salisbury-plain-training-area/

Glenshiel battlefield is located near the A87 so it seems the most likely.

tomuk

Established Member
The sign is warning you that ducks are in the area, not mandating that you stop for them. Also, ducks are far more likely to be airborne than cats, so are more likely to damage your windscreen or give you a nasty shock rather than a cat where many people do not even realise they have hit the animal.
Are you suggesting that we should also be warning of cats, or that we shouldn't give a warning because you can also hit other things?
Road Traffic act 1988 says you must stop and be ready to give your particulars to owner of said animal if you hit certain animals, if you are unable to ascertain ownership of said animal you must report the accident to a police officer within 24 hours. The animals being horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog. Other animals you can demolition derby to your hearts content.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Road Traffic act 1988 says you must stop and be ready to give your particulars to owner of said animal if you hit certain animals, if you are unable to ascertain ownership of said animal you must report the accident to a police officer within 24 hours. The animals being horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog. Other animals you can demolition derby to your hearts content.
Didn't realise it was only specific animals, I'd always known it as 'dog and up' although that may have been because if you're hitting anything bigger than a dog you're going to notice doing so.

tomuk

Established Member
Didn't realise it was only specific animals, I'd always known it as 'dog and up' although that may have been because if you're hitting anything bigger than a dog you're going to notice doing so.
I assume it's because those animals were thought to have value as working animals or livestock.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Now a campaign to etend this notification to cats.

The tabby died last week after he was hit by a car that failed to stop.
His death has inspired a campaign to make it law to report such an incident.

Last edited:

E27007

The animals described are ones which are typically controlled and/or enclosed, if the collision is a result of a failure by the owner to adequately enclose or properly control those animals, would the Police consider reporting the owner for prosecution?
You cannot control a Cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.