• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington routeing point

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

I need to travel from Tonbridge to Warrington for work, returning to Tonbridge from Liverpool the next day.

I believe I can do this by buying an off-peak return from Tonbridge to Liverpool and ending my outbound journey short at WBQ, as 'via Warrington' appears as a valid option in journey planners.

But as I'm travelling with a colleague, I'd like to be doubly sure. Can anybody confirm this is the case please?

... and, so that I can make seat reservations, is there any web retailer where I can specify different 'via' points on the outbound and return legs of a journey please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Trainsplit will allow you to do different via points - in the advanced journey options, there’s a tick box that allows you to select different route options for the return journey. It’ll also of course split your tickets in case there’s a cheaper option (which there undoubtedly will be on a long journey like that). If you need flexible tickets, that’s an option too.

jfollows

Established Member
Tonbridge to Liverpool allows via London, not surprisingly, and London to Liverpool allows EJ+NC+NO (see maps at https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps) which allows Crewe-Warrington-Earlestown-Liverpool. So this is a valid route for an off-peak return.
Incidentally, there are 15 map combinations for Tonbridge-Liverpool as well as LONDON
1673003051437.png
and a further 11 map combinations for London-Liverpool
1673003116647.png
so with these combinations there ought to be a lot of valid routes!

EDIT Plus 11 map combinations for Tonbridge-London!
1673005432438.png
I think that’s 136 (11x11+15) different map combinations in total defining valid routes …….

Last edited:

SandsofEss

Thank you both. Good to have the reassurance.

Very impressed with the slick new interface for Trainsplit.

8A Rail

Established Member
As part of your work commitment, I assume you are travelling by other means between Warrington BQ and Liverpool? There are no direct trains between those two stations, although you could change at Earlestown and hopefully not wait too long for the hourly connection. Alternative is walk to Warrington Central and get a direct connection to Liverpool LS, assuming your ticket allows you to do that.

jfollows

Established Member
Alternative is walk to Warrington Central and get a direct connection to Liverpool LS, assuming your ticket allows you to do that.
EJ+NC+NR allows this.
(But off-peak returns are only usually valid outbound on one day of course.)

SandsofEss

As part of your work commitment, I assume you are travelling by other means between Warrington BQ and Liverpool? There are no direct trains between those two stations, although you could change at Earlestown and hopefully not wait too long for the hourly connection. Alternative is walk to Warrington Central and get a direct connection to Liverpool LS, assuming your ticket allows you to do that.
Thanks, yes I'm travelling by other means.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
(But off-peak returns are only usually valid outbound on one day of course.)
A walk-up anytime single fare - if needed - from Warrington Bank Quay / Warrington Central into central Liverpool is only £6.40.

Status
Not open for further replies.