• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
There has probably been a thread about this before, but wanted to recount my experience recently. I had occasion this week to depart from Warrington BQ for a journey to Scotland (leaving my car in the Slutchers Lane car park) but found it convenient to return down the ECML and thence from York to Warrington Central. Upon arrival, I found that there were no signs to BQ ( I did know it might be a bit of a walk) and inquiring of the member of staff on ticket duty was surprised that she was surprised that anyone should ask directions to BQ! I was in quite a hurry to get home, so set off at a fair pace after she did say that there were directional signs in the town centre....albeit with the obligatory signpost at one point without any mention of BQ!
It was about a 15 minute walk...it set me wondering whether there was much demand for transfer between the two stations. If so, then a shuttle bus would be handy, but with the lack of information I am presuming that there is, in fact, little need for that.
With my limited knowledge of towns and cities with more that one station, I would normally expect some information to be had to facilitate a transfer..I'd be happy to be proved wrong if forum members could point out that I'd just missed relevant signage!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can't remember about the signage, but from Central to BQ I usually go west along Midland Way and then south along Crosfield St/Parker St.
This is easier than zig-zagging through the congested town centre, and includes a bit of pleasant greenery around the Town Hall.
On the other hand if it's raining you can walk through Golden Square shopping centre for a bit of cover on the zig-zag route.
The railway doesn't help by not having an exit on the south side of Central, causing you to go out of your way right at the start.
The road system means that any shuttle bus would take a long and indirect route, and road access at Central is very poor.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
When I was travelling Nottingham to Scotland every few weeks during much of 2013 EMT from Central and walk across Warrington was often the cheapest way back on an Advance (but never northbound for some reason). It's not the nicest of routes though, and although I should have had time to find something decent to eat, the Pendolino was usually late enough that I only had time to grab a slimeburger from McDs.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The Network Warrington Centrelink shuttle bus service already links the two stations Mon-Fri 07:30 to 18:15, with a 20 minute frequency. Journey time is 5 min Central to BQ and 10 min BQ to Central. Costs 20p.
http://www.networkwarrington.co.uk/assets/library/original/pdf/1/timetable-101-june-2014-web.fdd0d872faac8fecede52bfe8c92147e.1402587315.pdf

If you just miss one it is usually quicker to walk - in fact if you are going from Bank Quay to Central it can be quicker to walk anyway.

Oxfordblues

After 150 years the decision of the Cheshire Lines Committee not to build their Warrington station where their line crossed the London & North Western Railway near Bank Quay is still irritating passengers!

There are similar situations in Dorking (LB&SCR v LSWR), Farnborough (ditto) and Yeovil (GWR and LSWR). It's the price we pay now for a complete absence of central planning during the Railway Mania.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
After 150 years the decision of the Cheshire Lines Committee not to build their Warrington station where their line crossed the London & North Western Railway near Bank Quay is still irritating passengers!

They probably preferred to have their station nearer to the centre of Warrington to capture more of the passengers to Liverpool, Manchester and beyond who otherwise only had services by slower and less direct LNWR routes from the less convenient Bank Quay station.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The route I walked from Bank Quay to Central after dark in January was pretty much unlit....

causton

Established Member
I did the walk between the two and it took 12 hours!

Okay I did stay in the Travelodge in the middle of the walk, but I would not recommend the first part of it to anybody! The second bit past the bus station was slightly better, although eerily foggy when I did it...

Bevan Price

Established Member
They probably preferred to have their station nearer to the centre of Warrington to capture more of the passengers to Liverpool, Manchester and beyond who otherwise only had services by slower and less direct LNWR routes from the less convenient Bank Quay station.

LNWR passengers from Manchester & Liverpool once had the alternative of using Warrington Arpley, which was closer to the shopping area than Bank Quay. (And before they built Golden Square Shopping Centre, Warrington Central & Arpley were about the same distance from some of the shopping areas.)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The route I walked from Bank Quay to Central after dark in January was pretty much unlit....

I did the walk between the two and it took 12 hours!

Okay I did stay in the Travelodge in the middle of the walk, but I would not recommend the first part of it to anybody! The second bit past the bus station was slightly better, although eerily foggy when I did it...

I have done that walk several times and never once felt unsafe. most of the time it has been in the dark.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Why not build a joint station at the junction of Froghall Lane and Midland Way? The Tiles depot on Street view looks ideal for the station precinct and well placed in the local road system. I expect a local person can shoot this down as otherwise it looks a no-brainer.

Central could be retained anyway as an extra halt for east to west trains.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
LNWR passengers from Manchester & Liverpool once had the alternative of using Warrington Arpley, which was closer to the shopping area than Bank Quay. (And before they built Golden Square Shopping Centre, Warrington Central & Arpley were about the same distance from some of the shopping areas.)

The LNWR didn't help when they relocated Warrington BQ southwards to form a 2-level station with the Arpley line.
If BQ was north of the A57 bridge as it was originally it would be nearer the town centre and a shorter walk to Central (and the scenery would be (a little) better;)).
There did used to be a north to east connection from the LNWR to CLC lines, but it's housing now.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have done that walk several times and never once felt unsafe. most of the time it has been in the dark.

Which in no way excuses the fact that they apparently cannot be bothered to provide street lighting in the town centre!

HowardGWR

Established Member
Lots of expense for very little gain. Established businesses uprooted for no good reason. Waste of time and money.

What businesses would be 'uprooted'? I can't follow that. I presume people must want to change from one station to the other, otherwise this thread would not exist!

IanD

Established Member
What businesses would be 'uprooted'? I can't follow that. I presume people must want to change from one station to the other, otherwise this thread would not exist!

So now you're saying you would leave the tile depot where it is?? Make your mind up.

A few people on a rail forum might want the upheaval involved in building a new station adjacent to one of the busiest rail lines in the country, can't see anyone outside Warrington (and probably not many inside either) thinking the delays and closures would be worth it.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

That was one of the points I was trying to make in my original post....I wonder how many people do need to move from one station to the other.

IanD

Established Member
Well, the bus station is just across the road from Central, and presumably some people need to change between Bank Quay and the buses.

Then have the buses call at Bank Quay - minimal cost - rather than move Bank Quay - maximal cost.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Then have the buses call at Bank Quay - minimal cost - rather than move Bank Quay - maximal cost.
Who would fund all the additional bus mileage? Network Warrington would doubtless argue that the existing 20p shuttle bus service is adequate for the number of passengers who use it.

IanD

Established Member
Who would fund all the additional bus mileage? Network Warrington would doubtless argue that the existing 20p shuttle bus service is adequate for the number of passengers who use it.

I'm not saying it should be done, I'm saying that if there is a big demand from people at Bank Quay to get on the buses then the obvious solution would be to re-route the buses to serve Bank Quay rather than move Bank Quay nearer the bus station. I'm not convinced there is that much demand otherwise the bus operators would already be meeting it. However, if there was such a big demand then the increase in revenues may offset the higher costs.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Any suggestion of moving Bank Quay reminds me of a joke I once heard:-

Q - Why is the station so far from the town ?
A - Because they thought it would be better to build it by the Railway.

HowardGWR

Established Member
So now you're saying you would leave the tile depot where it is?? Make your mind up.

Oh, the tile depot! Thanks.:D

I like your integrated bus train suggestion, clearly a revolutionary concept in Warrington? Looks like some O/D pax counts could be useful as another poster suggested.

Last edited:

TheJRB

Established Member
Which in no way excuses the fact that they apparently cannot be bothered to provide street lighting in the town centre!
Tell Kent County Council about that! We've been without street lights in my area between 00:00 and 06:00 (+1 in BST) for about a year and a half on a "trial" (though I'm not entirely sure what the good people of Ashford are being tried for ;)). The trial was denounced and the person responsible resigned but we won't get our lights back at night until they're replaced by LEDs... which could take three years! :roll:

Back on topic, I was under the impression (not that I have had cause to visit the town nor use its transportation network to date) that the bus system in Warrington was rather respectable with a reasonably good frequency. Certainly as has already been pointed out, the Centrelink appears to connect the two stations every twenty minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.