• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington's Own Buses

SeanM1997

Warrington Own Buses' N4 Northwich Town Service

Hourly Barnton - Winnington - Northwich Monday-Saturday. Daytime extensions to Leftwich/Kingsmead, whilst during School hours in morning and evening services are extended to Sir John Deane's College

Departures:
First Bus: Barnton 0715 (Mon-Fri), 0805 (Sat)
First Bus: Northwich 0735 (Mon-Fri), 0840 (Sat)
First Bus: Leftwich 0929 (Mon-Sat)
Last Bus: Barnton 1920 (Mon-Sat)
Last Bus: Northwich 1900 (Mon-Sat)
Last Bus: Leftwich 1429 (Mon-Fri), 1629 (Sat)

From Monday 24th April 2023, Warrington's Own Buses and Cheshire West and Cheshire Council are introducing the new N4 Northwich Town service, following the announcement of the closure of Arriva North West’s Depots in Winsford & Macclesfield.

The new N4 service will run on Monday to Saturday and follows the existing service 4 route linking Barnton, Winnington, Northwich, Leftwich and Kingsmead.

To see the route and timetable please click here!

Tickets on the N4

Passengers can take advantge of capped fares on the N4 with an adult single journey costing £2 and a young person (up to and including 18 years old) costing just £1.

There's also a great range of other tickets available to buy on bus. Weekly tickets are valid for 7 days from the date of purchase and monthly tickets are valid for 1 month from the date of purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Established Member
Good incentive, especially given how steep Winnington Hill is. However, until the £2 bus cap ends I don't think they'll be many passengers arriving in Northwich with day tickets for D&G or Stagecoach.

Warrington's Own Buses said:
Going to the hospital?

Passengers with a day ticket from any other bus operator can travel between Northwich Interchange and Victoria Hospital for just £1 return.

It's a shame the CAT9A runs 5 minutes ahead of the N4, in the hours it operates. But at least going back from town the services aren't too close together. It's easier to plan what time you go to town, then what time you leave as you don't know how long the queues in shops will be.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Although the contract is in a standstill period, it looks like Warrington's Own Buses will be taking on Volvo BZLs. 105 vehicles is a sizable order.

Warrington’s Own Buses is set to choose the Volvo BZL platform for the electrification of its fleet while depot infrastructure is expected to be provided by EO Charging, the operator’s Managing Director Ben Wakerley told the Association of Local Bus Managers conference in Edinburgh on 26 April.

Although signing of contracts with the two suppliers will not occur until the end of a standstill period that is currently underway, Mr Wakerley says that both are the municipal operator’s intended choices.

Under the plans, Volvo Bus UK and Ireland will supply 105 single- and double-deck examples of the BZL with MCV bodywork to deliver a wholesale conversion of the Warrington’s Own Buses fleet under work that is being part-funded by the Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas scheme. The operator moved into a new depot in Warrington on 23 March that has been custom-designed to suit the transition to a battery-electric bus fleet.

Delivery of the intended BZLs is likely to see the last diesel bus leave the Cheshire operator during spring 2024, Mr Wakerley continues.

The new depot has a 6MVA electricity substation already installed along with around five kilometres of underfloor cable ducting. Vehicle specification is awaiting final refinement and staff training will begin when the first battery-electric bus arrives.

In an indication that vehicle procurement is now not the matter upon which zero-emission hinges, Mr Wakerley told conference delegates that arranging the high voltage connection into a depot for the right time “is the most important part of the process.”

Energy for charging will be purchased from the solar farm estate owned by shareholder Warrington Borough Council. “The new buses will be as green as they can possibly be,” Mr Wakerley continues, noting that it is expected that the BZLs will be cheaper to run than the diesels they replace.

The intended Warrington order will represent further success for Volvo in the UK battery-electric bus market. It has supplied the first of well over 200 BZL double- and single-deckers to Stagecoach fleets and has multiple orders in hand for the London market. EO Charging’s offering to the bus sector is led by former Alexander Dennis man Keith Watson.

SeanM1997

Warrington's Own Buses have registered for 6 new routes on VOSA:

The first 5 are School Routes:
WVT1 Penketh HS - W.V.R.C Warrington Campus
WVT2 Hope Academy - W.V.R.C Warrington Campus
WVT3 (WVT5) Padgate Acadamy/Cardinal Newman HS - W.V.R.C Warrington Campus
WVT4 (WVTA) Bridgwater HS/Weaverham HS - W.V.R.C Warrington Campus
WVT6 Gt Sankey HS - W.V.R.C Warrington Campus

If like other years, the route below will be a summer Sunday route only:
X99 Warrington Interchange - Walton Hall, Walton Lea Road effective 16 July 2023

PaulWC

Is the X99 just for the Warrington Disability Awareness Day at Walton Hall on July 16th? I know a few years back it ran on summer Sundays, but I thought it was just for the one day event now?

northwichcat

Established Member
Warrington Own Buses' are to cover the withdrawal of the 280 and 288 routes with diversions/extensions of their existing Altrincham services.

The Cat5 will be re-routed via Sale and Warburton.
The X5 will be extended to Manchester Airport. The X5 journey times for Altrincham to Manchester Airport are similar to the current 288 times. Slightly confusing in the evenings and on Sundays Cat5s from Warrington will change service number to X5 at Lymm and then continue to Manchester Airport.

The new timetable is on their website: https://www.warringtonsownbuses.co.uk/services/WBTR/CAT5?date=2023-07-28&direction=outbound

SeanM1997

Warrington's Own Buses have registered to alter 3 routes from 24 July 2023:

CAT 5, 41A, CAT 6, 40, 40B, 41, 39, X5, 42A, 42, 39A, 40A, 41B - Warrington-Altrincham via Lymm - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/612768/
CAT 8, 8A, CAT 7, 9B - Warrington-Hatton (Sankey Lane) - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/612769/
CAT 9, 9A - Warrington-Northwich - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/612770/

From: https://www.warringtonsownbuses.co.uk/network-changes/b9a30737-e035-416f-8963-c5c5b66013bd

We’re thrilled to announce new connections from Warrington to Manchester Airport starting on Sunday 23rd July.​

Sun 23rd Jul onwards
As a result of changes in the Altrincham area, our network of Cheshire Cat services will change opening up new journey links, earlier and later buses extending into Saturday and Sunday.

This means that the times of the following services are changing:

CAT5 journeys retimed and rerouted between Warburton/ Partington and Altrincham to run via Manchester Road, Carrington Lane, Ashton Lane, Grosvenor Road, Glebelands Road, Cross Street, Washway Road, Manchester Road and Barrington Road.

CAT6 journeys are retimed by 5 minutes

CAT7 & CAT8 off-peak and Saturday journeys are retimed by 10 minutes

CAT9 & 9A some journeys retimed to improve the service frequency between Warrington & Stockton Heath

X5 journeys retimed and extended to Manchester Airport via Hale Barns. The route will also change in Bowdon to serve Bow Green Road, Bow Lane, Priory Road and Vicarage Lane.

Evenings and Weekends new journeys are introduced on the CAT5 and X5 to Altrincham and Manchester Airport. The service runs as CAT5 between Warrington and Lymm then changes to X5 if it goes to the airport. Passengers can remain on the bus and through fares are available.

SeanM1997

47 Warrington's Own Buses Knutsford - Mere - High Legh - Lymm - Warrington: registration withdrawn, service cancelled from 25 September 2023.

From VOSA:
New Service:
24 Birchwood - Birchwood - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/616215/

Variation to 8 Services - 1 (2, 1C); 16 (16A); 18 (18E); 19; 20 (20A, 21, 21A, 21E); 28 (28A, 28E); 32; P6

Ashcroft Travel have registered to launch the 62/62A Warrington - Runcorn service on a commercial basis. Currently operated by Warrington's Own Buses who terminate the services at the end of the week - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/616235/

daodao

Established Member
47 Warrington's Own Buses Knutsford - Mere - High Legh - Lymm - Warrington: registration withdrawn, service cancelled from 25 September 2023.

From VOSA:
New Service:
24 Birchwood - Birchwood - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/616215/

Variation to 8 Services - 1 (2, 1C); 16 (16A); 18 (18E); 19; 20 (20A, 21, 21A, 21E); 28 (28A, 28E); 32; P6

Ashcroft Travel have registered to launch the 62/62A Warrington - Runcorn service on a commercial basis. Currently operated by Warrington's Own Buses who terminate the services at the end of the week - https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/616235/
Howard's Travel appear to have registered a new route 47 from 25/9/23. Is this a replacement for Warrington's route 47?

SeanM1997

northwichcat

Established Member
Maybe a part replacement, I can't see too much online about Howard's or a website, but looks to be solely in Warrington meaning the Knutsford tag has probably disappeared

The WOB 47 doesn't run via Stockton Heath. It also takes an unusual route, rather than staying on the main road around Thelwall, presumably to give the older residents a more convenient bus service. Plus Lymm Dam's so nice you get to see it twice on a Knutsford to Warrington journey. :)

Cheshire East Council are reviewing Flexilink so I would have expected any changes to infrequent services like the 47 and 191 to coincide with changes to Flexilink, but the Flexilink consultation hasn't concluded yet.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
MD Bus and Coach (Link Network) are due to launch a few new buses in Warrington as well which fill gaps previously left by Warringtons Own Buses.
Route 23 has just started linking Warrington Bus Station to Ryefields Retirement Village (was on the 25), Orford Village Hub, Cinnamon Brow and Orange Grove (I can't remember which route WOB ran here but cut). Source, Operator Owners Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/david.fair...FjxWC5ypsqMDXxFQKFvunH5Yboh4HNKwf2gXyLiWDKWUl

Also starting on Monday is the B29 and 31/31A/33.
B29 linking Burtonwood to Westbrook and Gemini (Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=987576172455042&set=a.103609060851762 & Registrations)
31/31A/33 linking around Penketh and some trips up to Westbrook and Gemini (Source: Local councillors Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/cllrcraiglenihan)

Linking Birchwood to Padgate and Woolston. Source: https://www.facebook.com/leveluptat...qBU3XwFLHD5EH8rbGVhMTY7vZvFiPvwhx3oLU6dzKfxml (I can't find any info other than this Tattoo shop page which has posted a photo of the service.

Howard's Travel appear to have registered a new route 47 from 25/9/23. Is this a replacement for Warrington's route 47?
Councillor Graham Gowland has posted about the new service with a map and timetable. Running hourly and will go via Bank Quay, Slutchers Lane, A56, Weaste Lane and around Statham. No link to Lymm anymore and no link to Knutsford.

Last edited:

ChrisC

Established Member
I fairly recently visited the extremely interesting and historic Anderton Boat Lift. The CAT9A Warrington to Northwich bus stops close by, but what a terrible service back to Warrington on Monday to Friday afternoons. In the Warrington to Northwich direction there is basically a 2 hourly service all day, but in the opposite direction, for the return journey, there’s a huge gap from 1336 until 1801 with no buses. I ended up visiting on a Saturday when there is a 2 hourly service in both directions.

northwichcat

Established Member
I fairly recently visited the extremely interesting and historic Anderton Boat Lift. The CAT9A Warrington to Northwich bus stops close by, but what a terrible service back to Warrington on Monday to Friday afternoons. In the Warrington to Northwich direction there is basically a 2 hourly service all day, but in the opposite direction, for the return journey, there’s a huge gap from 1336 until 1801 with no buses. I ended up visiting on a Saturday when there is a 2 hourly service in both directions.

A few years back there was a bus war between GHA Coaches and Network Warrington (now Warrington's Own Buses) between Northwich and Warrington. Network Warrington ran 2 hourly 45 Northwich-Wincham-Warrington interworking with a 2 hourly 46 Northwich-Anderton-Warrington. A bus that arrived in Northwich off a 45 went out as a 46 and vice versa and they allowed people travelling to/from Northwich station to remain on the bus as it changed number in Northwich.

GHA came along and registered an hourly 45 5 minutes ahead of the Network Warrington services. That led to Network Warrington making the 46 hourly and moving that 5 minutes ahead of the GHA 45. Things got very ugly with GHA using their vehicles to block stands in Northwich and in once case it resulted in the police being called. The result of the bus war as Network Warrington lost most of their passengers. The Winnington and Barnton passengers had a regular Arriva alternative and GHA were getting most of the Northwich to Warrrington passengers, so the regular 46 service got very few passengers. GHA collapsed and Network Warrington reintroduced the 45 (later renumbering them as Cat9 and Cat9A). However, I think the long term effect is they decided the route via Wincham generates a lot more passengers than the route via Anderton.

It's a shame the councils can't get together and make the Cat9 2 hourly interworked with both a 2 hourly 89 and a 2 hourly Cat9a. That would provide hourly Northwich to Wincham, hourly Northwich to Warrington and 2 hourly Northwich to Warrington via Anderton.

Councillor Graham Gowland has posted about the new service with a map and timetable. Running hourly and will go via Bank Quay, Slutchers Lane, A56, Weaste Lane and around Statham. No link to Lymm anymore and no link to Knutsford.

https://www.facebook.com/CllrGowlan...CXdHMiqddtybvY9Quo6cfviueugEfgaafpSujsQeAPGzl (image of timetable from tender put out by Warrington Council)

Makes me think of the 312 between Wilmslow and Handforth. The first bus arrives in Warrington at 09:15 and last bus leaves at 17:00. It's just one journey short of being a useful service for commuters.

PaulWC

There is the option to get the 1600 to Northwich and wait for the 1645 back to Warrington, but its far from ideal. There is also a lovely walk from Anderton through the Northwich Woodlands that brings you out in Carey Park at the back of Asda and the town centre.

ChrisC

Established Member
There is also a lovely walk from Anderton through the Northwich Woodlands that brings you out in Carey Park at the back of Asda and the town centre.
I thought there probably was and had considered it and actually would have liked to have walked it. I could see on the OS map where the footpath probably went and the footbridge, but it wasn’t marked as a public footpath. I don’t know the area and so hadn’t realised that Carey Park is an actual country park which you can walk through. I didn’t risk it as I’ve been caught out before by walking quite long distances along footpaths only to find that I am not able to complete the route. It will now be an excuse to visit again if I’m ever in the area.

PaulWC

I thought there probably was and had considered it and actually would have liked to have walked it. I could see on the OS map where the footpath probably went and the footbridge, but it wasn’t marked as a public footpath. I don’t know the area and so hadn’t realised that Carey Park is an actual country park which you can walk through. I didn’t risk it as I’ve been caught out before by walking quite long distances along footpaths only to find that I am not able to complete the route. It will now be an excuse to visit again if I’m ever in the area.

It's not that far really - from Anderton to Northwich town centre is only about a 30 minute walk. I did the walk from Marbury to Northwich via Neumanns Flash a couple of weeks ago which is really nice, and like yourself I went on a Saturday. Ending up in Northwich means a decent chance of getting a bus back to Warrington.

northwichcat

Established Member
Cheshire East's response to the lack of bus service between Lymm and Knutsford

Currently, Cheshire East provides £20,000 to Warrington Borough Council to support this part of the route.

The council has stated that they have not yet decided on whether to remove this funding but will look at improving public transport in the area.

The spokesperson added: “Cheshire East Council is carrying out a review of its supported bus network and due consideration will be given to parts of the borough no longer served by public transport.

“The council will continue to look at opportunities to improve bus routes in this part of the borough.

“In the meantime, we hope that our on-demand FlexiLink service can assist some passengers who find they are inconvenienced by the loss of the 47 within Cheshire East but please note there are certain criteria that apply to those wishing to access FlexiLink, which can only operate within the borough.”

Flexilink currently requires you to be over 80, disabled or not living near any public transport service. So, for Knutsford to Warrington they'd tell you to travel via Altrincham on the train and bus instead. While for High Legh to Lymm they'd only take you as far as Little Bollington/Broomedge, as Lymm's outside Cheshire East. I can't see many people taking them up on that offer. Drop off in a small village, from where you're expected to take the X5 for a short distance.

Last edited:

GCH100

I find it strange what I have read in Buses November 2024 magazine, that Warrington's Own Buses is to change its livery to Yellow like neighbouring Greater Manchester and Merseyside when it geyts its new fleet of Electric Volvo BZL's next year. I would have thought it best to stick with the traditional Red which has always been a part of Warrington Buses for over 120 years, rather than risk being mistaken for Transport for Greater Manchester and Merseytravel. To me it seems short sighted and to lack common sense.

Last edited:

Leyland Bus

I find it strange what I have read in Buses November 2024 magazine, that Warrington's Own Buses is to change its livery to Yellow like neighbouring Greater Manchester and Merseyside when it geyts its new fleet of Electric Volvo BZL's next year. I would have thought it best to stick with the traditional Red which has always been a part of Warrington Buses for over 120 years, rather than risk being mistaken for Transport for Greater Manchester and Merseytravel. To me it seems short sighted and to lack common sense.
Could you have not brought back something more useful from your foray into the future, like winning lottery numbers or who wins the Grand National? ;)

On a serious note, seems an odd choice of colour indeed...

Pub

If any colour change why not make it green, combine it with red on the lower half of the vehicle

northwichcat

Established Member
They brought someone new in before they introduced the MMCs and he seemed to have the idea the company needed a rebrand, hence the Warrington's Own Buses name and the blue colour coming in. Even at that time the Cheshire Cat branded vehicles had orange instead of red. I wonder if he wants to phase out red altogether?

Alternatively, I wonder if it's because they'll operate some services that cross the boundary e.g. Altrincham to Warrington, so the neighbouring mayors are in favour of yellow as they want a bus to be seen as a bus with standardised fares, not as a specific operator's service.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Hullian111

One of the BZLs was unveiled today.

Paywall article now out on Coach & Bus Week: https://cbwmagazine.com/better-buses/

Interestingly, when compared against my own photograph of it, the bus used for the launch was the not-very-discreetly disguised BZL demonstrator BV72 KPF.
IMG_7350.jpegIMG_7351.jpeg
Makes me wonder - are they using it disguised for the launch event because the buses aren’t ready until May, or are they buying the demonstrator from Volvo outright? If its the former, then… well, why not wait to do the big launch in May?

buslad1988

Paywall article now out on Coach & Bus Week: https://cbwmagazine.com/better-buses
Have to say I’m rather confused with this whole rebranding - the use of the neon yellow/black and calling it zebra? But still utilising the wolf from Warrington’s current brand.

Compared to other operators it doesn’t seem that exciting… you could mistake it for a bin lorry from a distance!

Is it a case of Warringtons Own Buses taking a step back and letting the council get more involved in the branding etc? Seems to be a very self inflated local council type PR/marketing ploy than that of Warringtons Own Buses themselves.

Maybe that was part of the bid arrangement - Warrington Borough Council will invest heavily to fund it if they have more control and can take the credit.